Helpful Links

Security Key Not Accepted

Tutor

Security Key Not Accepted

I have the DTV HD Whole Home DVR, and recently got the wireless cinema kit. Installed it using the coaxial cables and it set up went great until it found my home wireless router and when entering my password it keeps saying password is not valid. I've reset my home modem (both turned it off and on and also entirely reset it) and have done the menu default reset on my DTV box as well as reset the cinema adapter...in all types of orders and nothing worked. I've also changed security settings on my home network from WPA/WPA2 to WEP and even to no security and still the cinema adaptor could not connect. I called Verizon (DSL) as I noticed I'm using PPPoE as the connection type and one forum said to use DHCP. They said the PPPoE is only to their office, but the router has a built in DHCP that is used when computers are connecting to it. All of my other computeres connect just fine, and my password is numerical only. I know the trick with the remote of having letters and then numbers (ABCabc123) and I have ensured that the numbers appear on screen when entering the password. I'm at a loss of what else to do.

Message 1 of 46
Tutor

Re: Security Key Not Accepted

Also, I'm using a DLINK 2750B DSL router. Anyone know if this is one of those not compatible with the CCK?

Message 2 of 46
Expert

Make sure the SSID (network name) and the password both have only letters and numbers, no punctuation

Message 3 of 46
Tutor

Password is all numbers and SSID is just letters. It finds the SSID, but wont accept password.

Message 4 of 46
Contributor

All I can say check to see if it is a 5Ghz router, not mentioned in system requirements but is noted in FCC statement in back of manual. 2.4GHz not compatible, once I bought and installed new router - no problems.

Message 5 of 46
ACE - Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by drbrining 

All I can say check to see if it is a 5Ghz router, not mentioned in system requirements but is noted in FCC statement in back of manual. 2.4GHz not compatible, once I bought and installed new router - no problems.

Not true. The CCK works with both 2.4GHz and 5GHz equipment. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 46
Teacher

Has anyone found a solution for this problem?

I also have WHDVR, the CCK and the DLINK 2750B DSL router.  It finds my SSID, but when I enter the security key, it says the key is not valid.  I use the same key successfully to connect my ipad to that router.  The key is only uppercase letters and numbers.  

I've read in some other threads here and elsewhere that the problem may have something to do with ASCII vs HEX keys.

I believe the WPA2 router key is in ASCII.  Is the CCK expecting a hex key instead of an ASCII key?  For example, if my DLINK router key is JA1 (obviously a simplification), am I supposed to be able to use JA1 for the CCK key (this doesn't work for me) or am I supposed to use the hex version of that -  4a4131 or 4A4131 (I haven't tried either of those).  Or is there some other conversion I need to do?

Any help on this would really be appreciated.

Message 7 of 46
Tutor

I am having the same problem. I am using an Apple Airport Express router. Same problem. won't accept security key. removed security and just seems to time out. Directv tech support said reboot receiver and this didn't work. I am using just coax hookup as I don't have the Deca attached to receiver. I recived the CCK on July 3rd 2012. Other person having same problem above is a recent post. Is there a problem with newly shipped CCKs?

Message 8 of 46
Tutor

FYI, I found the following on an Apple Support forum. I haven't tested this, but I also have an apostrophe in my wireless network name so I am hoping that this is my issue.

QUOTE:

"The person that chose to answer mentioned that they had no troubles setting up their connection kit with an Airport Extreme.  They did it for testing purposes and the only problems that they noted is that the Directv Cinema Connection Kit didn't like wireless networks with special characters in the name.

I immediately opened up airport utility and changed the name of my network.  My network name did contain an apostrophy, so I took it out!  Guess what?  It worked!

I hope no one else has this problem, but in case you do, hopefully my experience will help you."

END QUOTE

Message 9 of 46
Tutor

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3211653?start=0&tstart=0

Message 10 of 46
Teacher

Jedom,

Thanks for the suggestions, but as I said in my first post, my key is only uppercase characters and numbers, no special characters.

Also, I already tried the reset methods suggested in the thread you found (I found it a while ago) and that didn't work for me. I detailed what happened with the reset method in this thread

http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/forums/displayrootposts?msgBoardID=10307043

Hoping to get something that would work for me.
Message 11 of 46
Employee

Quote: Originally Posted by jedom 

FYI, I found the following on an Apple Support forum. I haven't tested this, but I also have an apostrophe in my wireless network name so I am hoping that this is my issue.

since you have an Airport Express (not Extreme), you might also want to try this

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4262

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 12 of 46
Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by jedom 

I also have an apostrophe in my wireless network name so I am hoping that this is my issue.

The Directv system will not tolerate any punctuation in either the SSID (network name) or the password (security key).  Remove the apostrophe and you may be successful.

Message 13 of 46

Mine has punctuation, but using the dash key under the 7 on the remote, I was able to find the correct punctuation; doesn't it defeat the purpose of using complex phrases & passcodes to simplify the permissible character set by excluding punctuation?

Message 14 of 46
Expert

Not sure why you folks want to debate the punctuation issue.  We speak from experience.  Directv devices do not like punctuation of any kind in the SSID or the password.  I've repeated this three times in this thread and that should suffice.

Message 15 of 46
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the Watching DIRECTV Forum! Need to troubleshoot your service? Need to see some of the products we offer? Wondering how to take your DVR with you? Click below!

Additional Support