Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Out of Market channels options

Tutor

Out of Market channels options

Hello, I was looking at switching my hotel property from cable to directv because some of the channels have poor picture quality and I was told directv would offer a superior picture. Here is my question before I make the switch: Our current cable provider offers the local ABC, NBC, CBS,& FOX news stations from both Atlanta and Macon, GA. My property is situated in middle GA, in-between Atlanta & Macon GA (We are closer to Macon). Would I be able to get both the Atlanta and Macon local news affiliates or could pick and have directv set it up to where we only get Atlanta stations? I found a channel search site on directv's site that only brought up the local Macon, GA channels to my dismay. Our guests are either traveling from out of state or are on business/training in middle GA from the Atlanta metro area and in both cases prefer Atlanta news to stay in the know about what's happening in their home areas or for traffic updates. (As a side-note the news stations in Atlanta offer a far superior product since their budgets are greater-Only the local CBS in Macon is full HD, every other channel is cropped at the borders in OTA-HD). I would much rather prefer having the Atlanta stations. Please advise if I would be able to get Atlanta local stations or not. Thank you!

Message 1 of 9
ACE - Expert

Re: Out of Market channels options

Check this lookup table to see what local channels you'll get ....

www.directv.com/locals

Most likely you'll only get the channels authorized for your address.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 9
ACE - Expert

DTV will only supply the local channels that the FCC says you can get per your zip code.

https://www.directstartv.com/city/

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 9
Tutor

I did the channel look-up and only saw the channels in our immediate vicinity and not the Atlanta channels.

Message 4 of 9
Tutor

So I looked into this and read on the FCC's site that some out-of-market but significantly viewed stations can be available for satellite service. It states that "If you receive local-into-local service, your satellite TV company may also provide out-of-market broadcast stations assigned to a neighboring local TV market that have been determined by the FCC to be “significantly viewed.” These are stations viewable over-the-air by a “significant” number of households in your community." They had a list of these stations and for my specific county in which did in fact have the Atlanta stations I receive now listed as "significantly viewed" stations. Do you think I would still receive these channels upon making the switch given that they are significantly viewed in my area per the FCC?

Message 5 of 9
ACE - Expert

So that's what you will get, quite normal..

Message 6 of 9
ACE - Expert

The www.directv.com/locals lists the ones that DirecTV has and that the FCC allows a satellite TV provider to give you per your address.

Message 7 of 9
Scholar

I would call Directv and find out for sure. You will have a commercial account which is different than the normal accounts here in this customer to customer forum.

Message 8 of 9
Tutor

I ended up calling them and got transferred 2-3 times before they transferred me to a local sales rep...He couldn't answer the question and transferred me back to the corporate number I called initially. This process is beyond frustrating. 

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support