Old dish - Snow sticks easily

Tutor

Old dish - Snow sticks easily

I've been at this address for going on 9 years, and have had the same DirecTV dish the whole time.  We get lots of snow in this area.  It seems to be sticking to the dish more often than in prior years.  I'm thinking it is because the dish is no longer smooth, which makes it easy for snow to stick, i.e. it doesn't slide down as easy.  We've had snow almost constantly for 3 weeks, so I am getting sick of losing signal and brushing off the dish, only to have to do it again in an hour or so.  Anyone else agree that an old dish that has lost its lustre would cause snow to stick more than on a new dish?

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Master

Re: Old dish - Snow sticks easily

Get and install a dish heater.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6
Employee

You could also purchase a new dish, Solidsignal.com sells them pretty inexpensively, however you would have to setup a service call for a tech to come out and swap it out.  

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 6
Tutor

Thanks.  However one of the problems that I have with DirecTV is their policy on equipment.  I can move once a year, and every time get all the latest in DVR's, dishes, etc., but if I am a customer who has had the service for many years, I have to buy equipment if it becomes outdated or fails.  That just is not right.  The people that move all the time are costing the company much more, in both equipment costs and employee/technician time, than the people like me that are long time subscribers at one address.  The policy should be changed so that you can get free upgrades every so many years.

Message 4 of 6
Professor

Normally if it has been over 2 years with good account history, a free upgrade is usually available. This is for adding another tv, or upgrading a box to gain HD, DVR, or getting the Genie if you haven't allready done so. The Dish can be compatible through many upgrades depending on what you are getting and what kind of dish setup you have which is why there is no dish only upgrade. However if the dish is not compatible with any upgrade you receive, then an update of the connections on the dish or full replacement if needed, is covered. So the dish is only upgraded and covered by Directv if you are doing an upgrade of your boxes that needs it.

Yes, as Directv has confirmed many times before, you need to have at least 1 year since your last install (move/origional) with good account history before you might qualify for a free move. Last I knew since I was looking into it prior to my last move, I was quoted $199. Thankfully my situation changed so I ended up not moving until I qualified for the free one.

Now if you are having problems with the signal outside of snow, which could happen if the surface of the dish has changed enough over time, then Directv may swap out the dish if needed (determined by tech on site). Service calls are $49.95 unless you have their Equipment Protection Plan. Now there is a small chance that over time as the house shifts, snow/wind etc. occurs, or even with the brushing over time (all little bits added together), the dish may simply need to be realigned to get optimal signal to reduce issues during bad weather. As mentioned above, dish heaters are an option, though they are 3rd party. Some people to avoid the risk of physcially moving the dish by brushing, have used a "super-soaker" with warm water as a gentler solution.

To check the Directv (not 3rd party options) you will need to give them a call 1-800-531-5000. Even discuss any receiver box upgrades if there is something lacking for what you want. (precaution - do NOT replace any HDDVRs or model R22s with Mini Genie Clients. Unless you have a 4K tv which only works with a 4K Mini Genie Client for their three 4K channels)

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 6
Highlighted
ACE - Master

You own the dish and everything but the receivers to maintain.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 6
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the Watching DIRECTV Forum! Need to troubleshoot your service? Need to see some of the products we offer? Wondering how to take your DVR with you? Click below!

Additional Support