New HD GUI Guide

Scholar

New HD GUI Guide

Over night I received the new guide and I must say it's awesome. This for sure makes watching and surfing the guide much easier and the look is by far too cool.

2,785 Views
Message 1 of 34
Scholar

Re: New HD GUI Guide

jimmie57, it's very easy to read. Now, it's allot different than the old one, so, that might be why others are saying that, but, mine is crystal clear. I watch on a Panasonic 50" Plasma, and have no issues at all. Maybe those whom are saying that have a smaller or even not a plasma. I know that plasmas are more clearer. so who knows. But, I will say that you will really enjoy the new look and how they have arranged the different sections.

Message 2 of 34
ACE - Expert

Re: New HD GUI Guide

I also like the new guide. Of course, you will normally only see posts here from people who don't like it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 34
Scholar

Re: New HD GUI Guide

texasbrite, I'd bet those whom complain also don't have HDTV that show the crispness or clarity, of the plasmas. Such as DLP's, and other types. But, I know, that this guide is a great upgrade for Directv.

Message 4 of 34
Teacher

Re: New HD GUI Guide

Must agree.  New UI is crisp, scrolls quickly and looks great.  The old guide was slow and amateurish in appearance compared to the new guide.  Good job by Directv.

Message 5 of 34
Employee

Re: New HD GUI Guide

Quote: Originally Posted by sgkane 

Must agree.  New UI is crisp, scrolls quickly and looks great.  The old guide was slow and amateurish in appearance compared to the new guide.  Good job by Directv.


I also like the new GUI.  is very snappy

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 34
ACE - Expert

Re: New HD GUI Guide

I have LCDs and an old projection CRT system, and the new guide looks good on all of them.  My neighbor has DLP and the guide looks great also. I suspect some of the complaints are from people whose TVs are not calibrated very well, so the text is too bright and suffers from glare, or the blacks are not very black.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 34
ACE - Expert

Re: New HD GUI Guide

The new guide even looks good on my old Toshiba 19" CRT TV.   

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 34

Re: New HD GUI Guide

I just got the new HD GUI on all 3 of my receivers yesterday. Seems like a lot of DMA's should have been in that release based on the schedule. I would like to question the new status/progress/time bar at the bottom. It looks nice but is a step backwards for us that like to read the bottom info while skipping, FF'ing, RW'ing or pausing. Especially on sports programing with constant info at the bottom. Interferes with some Closed Captioning also.


Other than that the GUI is wonderful to me and definitely faster.

Agreed it's an easy step to "exit" out of the banner but why does it have to be so large and non-transparent in the first place. Was the decision to make it larger and opaque instead of transparent something required by the software design or coding? Or was it just a design choice that someone thought looked nice? IMO, it needs to be made smaller and/or transparent.

Message 9 of 34
Employee

Re: New HD GUI Guide

Quote: Originally Posted by kmsparkles 

I just got the new HD GUI on all 3 of my receivers yesterday. Seems like a lot of DMA's should have been in that release based on the schedule. I would like to question the new status/progress/time bar at the bottom. It looks nice but is a step backwards for us that like to read the bottom info while skipping, FF'ing, RW'ing or pausing. Especially on sports programing with constant info at the bottom. Interferes with some Closed Captioning also.


Other than that the GUI is wonderful to me and definitely faster.

Agreed it's an easy step to "exit" out of the banner but why does it have to be so large and non-transparent in the first place. Was the decision to make it larger and opaque instead of transparent something required by the software design or coding? Or was it just a design choice that someone thought looked nice? IMO, it needs to be made smaller and/or transparent.


this fix is in the works....

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 10 of 34
Tutor

Re: New HD GUI Guide

Well it's good you like the new guide but from what I read here there are a LOT of people that think it is hard to read and don't like it!

 

All directv needs to do is give an option to use the old guide and the issue would be solved.

 

Everyone that reads these posts and doesn't like the new guide needs to contact directv by email on their website and voice their concerns!

Message 11 of 34
ACE - Expert

Re: New HD GUI Guide

Quote: Originally Posted by donsdirectv 

...

All directv needs to do is give an option to use the old guide and the issue would be solved.

 

....


That's not an option we're likely to get. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 12 of 34
Teacher

Re: New HD GUI Guide

This new UI is really an upgrade.
Message 13 of 34
Guru

Re: New HD GUI Guide

Quote: Originally Posted by cajazzman 

texasbrite, I'd bet those whom complain also don't have HDTV that show the crispness or clarity, of the plasmas. Such as DLP's, and other types. But, I know, that this guide is a great upgrade for Directv.


A lot of people don't like it because it can't be used with SD devises, TV, DVD recorder, etc. I don't like and can see it perfectly so it isn't just that we have inferior TVs to yours.

Message 14 of 34
ACE - Expert

Re: New HD GUI Guide

Quote: Originally Posted by joed32 
....


A lot of people don't like it because it can't be used with SD devises, TV, DVD recorder, etc. I don't like and can see it perfectly so it isn't just that we have inferior TVs to yours.


It absolutely can be used with SD devices.   The easiest solution is a Component-to-Composite Video Converter, which will totally avoid the "Press Exit" pop up message.  But even without that, it's still possible to copy shows to your DVD Recorder by simply following the pop up message instructions to temporarily change to SD resolution. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 15 of 34
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the Watching DIRECTV Forum! Need to troubleshoot your service? Need to see some of the products we offer? Wondering how to take your DVR with you? Click below!

Additional Support