Explore & discover

Helpful Links

New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

Teacher

New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

I can no longer read my menu or guide because everything is so dark. You DID NOT take into account individuals who are visually impaired. The black background and gray colors make it impossibke to see what was watched. Plus, now you have to open an item in your list to see when that item recorded rather than viewing it in the list I can barely read. When I pause a program it's hard to distinguish between the two grays. You've really messed up this time. I'm a VERY unhappy customer. You'd better fix this or this customer may switch back to Comcast or some other system.

Message 1 of 28
Teacher

Re: New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

I have just completed filing the complaint with consumer complaints FCC at the link provided.  Thank You for that.  I had actually kept transcripts from my chats/phone complaint and the first one was January 16, 2018 which I uploaded to the complaint. 

Will let you all know if I hear back.  Lets see if anything changes.

Woman Frustrated

Message 16 of 28
Mentor

Menu Freezing up, CPU on Genie freezes up for several minutes, often when you attempt to navigate the menu stops responding. 

Why is this happening?   Simple a failure of the engineering team to see "around the corner" they failed to create an adequate front end layer between the menu and the execution of the underlying scripting, so when you open the menu, the default location of the cursor is inside the menu, this is incorrect from an industry standard. 

The scripting freezes because what is happening is that the unit is attempting to list all the underlying movie content. 

Additionally using the internet to supply the content for the menu is problematic because for those that do not have fast internet they experience a diminished user experience. 
While the Genie, (now reduced to some form of redundant semi-functional garbage, should be called the garbage instead of the genie) is attempting to list content, the menu freezes until all the content is listed, the problem is that the user has no choice.   They have to wait until the garbage is finished with its task which the user did not ask for and does not want, to complete then the user can move the cursor to the position they want, but there is yet another problem, what happens next is if you want to access a menu item below the top levels that are listed you have to navigate through all the upper levels of the menu and all those levels execute all the underlying scripting. 

So, guess what happens, the garbage freezes up again, (ever heard of cacheing, but no, there is no cacheing because there is no front end) 

No front end layer. 

There is no front end layer between the scripting of the menu and the menu choices, what happened there, even a high school student could figure that out. 

So when you finally get to the place where you want to be, you are likely confronted with no content. 

No content because guess what the garbage is still trying to execute all the scripting above the place where you are and often it never gets to the cast and crew because the operation times out, want to know why?

Internet Service Providers are now blocking certain IP addresses internally so as to prevent ATT from leeching bandwidth from the consumer.

Wow, how cheap can you get, I bet someone thought it would be a good idea to get all the content data from an existing internet connection. 

Do you have slow internet, disconnect the genie and see how much better your internet gets. 

I have documented 13.7 gigs of data being used by the garbage can in a 24 hour period, (no I do not stream content) my internet is too slow to do that on a consistent basis. So, now I think what we are going to be forced to do is to just terminate our services with ATT because there is not enough value in the services which they offer to sustain a commitment...     I think I would rather watch grass grow, then to attempt to use ATT garbage cans.  

Message 17 of 28
Teacher

And NOW on Top of The User Interface problem, DTV just INCREASED MY BILL, by 32$

The Only Saving Grace offered me, re: this is.... That I Can CANCEL My DVR Service, until it's Fixed.

The Same Service that i have been paying for more than 18 Years !!!

Message 18 of 28
Teacher

goin' there NOW! - Thank You!

Message 19 of 28
Tutor

I WANT MY OLD GUI BACK!!!  NOW PLEASE!!!  

FIRE THE PRODUCT MANAGER ON THIS ONE!!!

Message 20 of 28
Tutor

Hey everyone... forward this along!

I chatted with tech support to resolve an issue today and when he asked me if there's anything else he could do, I responded tongue in cheek "Please give me back my old UI!!!"

To my astonishment he said, "Sure!"  He put in a request and he said it would be reinstated within a week. I received an email with a confirmation for the work order and all!!!

SO, ASK FOR THE OLD UI... IT'S STILL THERE IF YOU WANT IT!  WOOHOO!

Message 21 of 28
ACE - Expert

@wctyler58 wrote:

Hey everyone... forward this along!

I chatted with tech support to resolve an issue today and when he asked me if there's anything else he could do, I responded tongue in cheek "Please give me back my old UI!!!"

To my astonishment he said, "Sure!"  He put in a request and he said it would be reinstated within a week. I received an email with a confirmation for the work order and all!!!

SO, ASK FOR THE OLD UI... IT'S STILL THERE IF YOU WANT IT!  WOOHOO!

Dream on.  They just told you that to get you off the phone.  Not gonna happen. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 22 of 28
Teacher

Well, I noticed immediately the first day that the font was bigger. I was stoked. And I figured that it was still in a development stage because the BLUE LINE. I figured the tech was still a little wonky. But then I realized that the blue line was intentional to show time progression. YUCK! It is repulsive and a huge distraction. 

I am sure that the GUI will never be perfect and make EVERYONE happy. But maybe if they tried just making slight adjustments that the customers are requesting and refrain from making radical changes they may have slightly more luck. 

I’m not in the “bored”-room though. Hah. 

Message 23 of 28

Well... did you get yours reverted back?  They told me something very similar back in May, but I never saw anything.  Just curious if you had better luck than I did.

Message 24 of 28
ACE - Expert

@Kburke0524 wrote:

Well... did you get yours reverted back?  They told me something very similar back in May, but I never saw anything.  Just curious if you had better luck than I did.

No, nobody has had their software "reverted back". 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 25 of 28

THIS WAS THE LIST I MADE A MONTH AGO AND IT STILL STANDS... One day they
fix one issue the next day the error is back. THEY WILL NEVER GET THIS CORRECTED BECAUSE THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT US... ONLY THE INVESTORS! And d#$" and "I$&ot" because they are BAD WORDS!!! 
They just cannot get their heads out of the smelly dark place.

THE LIST:

Below you will find a small list of errors encountered. All are pervasive,
confounding and outrageous due to the fact that they should have been
resolved within a month of release if there were the slightest iota of
competence in your development staff.
I have discussed some of these issues with your technical support group,
and they indicated this is a known problem. A known problem of this
magnitude should NEVER be left in place. CORRECT these problems before wide
spread irritation such as mine spreads to your stock standing.
HERE ARE SOME ISSUES YOU NEED TO RESOLVE
(NONE OF THESE PROBLEMS EXISTED IN THE OLD OPERATING SYSTEM)
⦁ BOGUS CHARGE: recent Pay Per View charge - Have NEVER used P.P.V.. THIS
IS NOT AN ERROR IT IS FRAUD!
⦁ SLOW response! At times several seconds before responding to button on
remote. Channel change / directional (4 arrows, N/S/E/W) buttons / Select /
Exit / List / Aps / Guide, etc...
Press whatever button, NO RESPONSE for several seconds... Press again -
same thing... try another button, same thing... Try a 3rd button, no
response... start to look for new batteries to see if they are dead, and
THEN the Useless Yuppie system cycles thru 2, sometimes 3 of the instructions from
the buttons.
⦁ Weather Channel = NO LONGER have access to "Local on demand" (the
red-ball feature)
⦁ ON TV APPS - need a way to deactivate (de-list) aps in which we have no
interest. DO NOT WANT Fantasy anything, US open, Heart radio, score guide,
etc... ONLY one I have found of interest is "the weather channel" since our
system choice has only the crappy "ACCU weather" which is a joke.
⦁ INDEXING ERRORS: When watching a program, and you exit the program - for
whatever reason (end of program, need to stop for bath-room break, someone
having heart attack) - You should be dropped back into the recorded
programs list at the position the program you were watching is listed. IT
DOES NOT much of the time. And it is not even consistent in this respect.
Sometimes it will exit to the program above or below the last viewed
recording and some times it is off by several programs in the list or even
to another page in the recordings list. This is caused by a mental midget that
does not know how to manage indexing!
⦁ BLACK BANDS top and bottom of screen upon channel change, FF/FR etc...
Density of them should be transparent not OPAQUE. Should be able to read
through them.
⦁ "RECORDINGS LIST" - NOT stable... List of recorded content comes and
goes. One day entire list is presented, the next day is not a complete
list. Recorded programs can disappear for a week or more at times.
⦁ SOUND ISSUES: Today we watched a recorded program, exited from it
afterward - AND the SOUND just went out - completely! Turned TV & CTL-BOX
off thinking that would reset it because that has worked before and it DID
NOT HELP. I FINALLY needed to reset your entire system by re-initializing
the box. PITIFUL!
⦁ LAST CHANCE - WHY should there BE a last chance to watch your recorded
shows? ALSO, time to watch seems to be variable. WHAT are the rules? IF
you want to binge watch a favorite series and fail to specify "KEEP" -
which I discovered by accident - you can not because the series will not be
complete. Recordings from the 18th of AUG are flagged for LAST CHANCE on
Aug 30... Programs NOT SHOWING on the recordings list suddenly present on
a "LAST CHANCE" list.
I DO NOT CARE if there is only a certain % of space left on the
recorder... That should NOT be a decision parameter in the functional
specs, which seems to be at about 20%. If this is a
manifestation of a requirements spec, IT IS THE ONLY ONE the development
staff got right - BUT it is NOT appropriate. This is an issue
of capacity that should be managed by the USER, NOT an arbitrary decision
by the software. THIS IS NOT A USER-FRIENDLY provision. ALSO: When we
reset the entire system today, ALL THE RECORDINGS AGAIN DISPLAYED ON THE
LIST!!!
⦁ DIGITAL DROPOUT on some channels - Not weather interference (No wind, No
rain, No snow storm.) on OANN many times, and NOT going on at same time on other news sources such as CNN - MSNBC, HEADLINE NEWS. PBS. CSPAN. FOX news also affected at
times. Begins to smell like purposeful. Other stations also affected
quite a bit from time to time but NEVER the liberal channels.

Message 26 of 28
Teacher

Re: The new user interface is horrible

SUNDAY, 9/23/2018 ---- Nope!

went for the 2-4-6-8 Update, (w/ATT Tech Rep. On the phone)

and..... No Go ! - cannot believe, i have Charter constantly,

pushing for me to change from DirecTV (17 years) to Cable.

and........ if they do not fix this da#n problem. 

i'll stop here!

Message 27 of 28
Contributor

I agree with the sense of outrage expressed by everyone on this forum.  But why did AT&T do it?   They say they did it to improve the customer experience.   We all instinctively know this isn't true, so why??  Well.. They did it to SAVE MONEY.  AT&T acquired both DirecTV AND Time Warner Cable.  No doubt some VP of IT who was bucking for a big bonus said: 
"WHY ARE WE PAYING software developers to maintain TWO different User Interfaces?   If we 'homogenize' between Time Warner and DirecTV user interface software, then we can fire some of our software/creative people and save money."   woohoo... we are geniuses.  If someone in the conference room actually asked: "will this impact customer satisfaction?"     first.. crickets (silence), then looks of confusion, and then.... well, we now know what happened then.

...and yes... contacting the FCC and complaining is appropriate.  Of course, this will be ineffective because to fix the problem, the FCC would have to admit it NEVER SHOULD HAVE ALLOWED THE MERGER TO HAPPEN. (which they will never admit to)

Message 28 of 28
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support