Explore & discover

Helpful Links

New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

Highlighted
Teacher

New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

I can no longer read my menu or guide because everything is so dark. You DID NOT take into account individuals who are visually impaired. The black background and gray colors make it impossibke to see what was watched. Plus, now you have to open an item in your list to see when that item recorded rather than viewing it in the list I can barely read. When I pause a program it's hard to distinguish between the two grays. You've really messed up this time. I'm a VERY unhappy customer. You'd better fix this or this customer may switch back to Comcast or some other system.

Message 1 of 28

Re: New Directv GUI - ATTROCIOUS DISASTER! - Are you kidding me?

I agree! This is all crap! 

Message 2 of 28
Teacher

New guide font is too small. Also there is a problem trying to navigate the recorded program menu,  for some selected programs you have to go to "INFO" before you can start playback.

Message 3 of 28

Please un-introduce me to the new system. please. 

Message 4 of 28

I agree!  Nothing about this is improved. 

Message 5 of 28
Mentor

Yeah, what Terri-Lynn said. 

Person(s) responsible for this should be FIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 6 of 28
Teacher

The typical software upgrade to a GUI whereby no consumers were involved.. Happens now in lots of areas.

Remember "New Coke" ? same thing.

The idea that the type/fonts cannot be adjusted larger is very surprising to a large company like this,and the new GUI will result in people high tailing it back to Sectrum cable i would think.

I think i'm going to cancel it, as it pretty much useless now for me...

Message 7 of 28
Contributor

i agree...i sent in a list of my issues to their twitter support address, but nothing came of it except the gratuitous "we hear your frustration and we appreciate your feedback, blah blah blah" 
but has anything changed?  NO.

has anyone been having issues with the sound?  it will randomly cut out when i change channels, and i have to change again to re-enable it.

Message 8 of 28
Mentor

I think the suggestion of hitting it up on Twitter is a great one.  Facebook also.

These days, it can also be very effective to write letters. Yes, Typed letters sent via the US Postal Service seems to get people's attention since very few bother to communicate this way.   I would bet that if they got several hundred (or more) letters, that they would at least know that that are a lot of very upset customers out here.

In case anyone is interested the CEO of Direct TV is:   Michael D. White.

Direct TV Corporate Headquarters is:

The Directv Group, Inc.

2230 E Imperial Hwy FL 10,

El Segundo, CA, 90245-3504

Lets FLOOD them with complaint letters tomorrow.

In case anyone is interested the Direct TV Corporate Headquarters is:

The Directv Group, Inc.

2230 E Imperial Hwy FL 10,

El Segundo, CA, 90245-3504

Lets FLOOD them with complaint letters tomorrow.

Message 9 of 28
Tutor

i only received the changes in may.  according to the "premonitions", improvements should have actually been made prior to the time i received the new GUI. 

as far as i can tell by reading the list of alleged improvements, either none have been completed--or it is taking an inordinately long time to roll out even a single one.

with the exorbitant rates charged to DirecTV customers, this is patently unacceptable.  most of the "new GUI" issues SHOULD have been rectified within weeks.  heck, it never should have been created in the first place.  none of the changes are improvements--but they are probably an excuse for yet ANOTHER rate increase--or simply to try to justify the rates they charge now.  it's gotta seem like they're actually DOING something, you know?  but in doing so, they just fix something that ain't broke--while ignoring things that actually ARE broke--and sit, never being fixed--while we are told lies about how much is being done to please us customers.  sheesh. 

AT&T needs US more that we need THEM--and they need to acknowledge this--and give us call centers located in the U.S., pay employees an actual living wage--and VALUE their customers.  but this "screw the customers--they'll get it when they get it--or not" attitude is nothing new.  it spans over improvements issues such as this one.  it rears its ugly head when one calls CS and gets connected with agents who are working  from a call center in South America or the Philippines, and it appears that some of them are reading scripted answers to questions regarding certain issues--which means they are, for the most part, untrained..  i have had issues understanding some of them, as i am sure many of you have as well.. 

with the obscenely large profits AT&T makes, year after year, they WILL NOT spend the money on call centers in the U.S.  they do not ensure that problems and issues are handled in a timely manner.  worst of all, however, is the answer i am given EVERY time i call with an issue that they are not prepared to resolve--which is "we are currently working on these issues,and someone will call you and let you know when they have been resolved".  

i have NEVER--NOT ONCE---received a phone call.  that response is lip service, and i do not appreciate it.  and both the attitude of the employees and the how issues are not handled aggressively, to me, are indications that said employees are not adequately compensated for the work they do--which is a darn shame, because these foreign employees are getting paid close to nothing for the work they do--which is the idea when a giant corporation like DirecTV outsources services.  pinching pennies, while WE pay--for things we aren't even really getting.

it is due to GREED.  it is selfish, unethical, immoral and OBSCENE to treat employees and customers like YOU are doing THEM a favor--when that is so not the case. 

Both these underpaid employees and we overcharged customers are the ONLY reasons that AT&T is able to stay in business--and collect these obscenely large profits--most of which they hoard--don't put it back into the business--and some they give as pay and compensations for their obscenely overpaid executives--who do nothing but collect obscene salaries, sit back with their feet on their desks while asking their secretaries to make golf dates with their other overpaid and underworked friends. 

AT&T's CEO, Randall Stephenson, made 28.7M last year.  you can see the other obscene AT&T executive salaries and additional compensations HERE.

so therein lies the rub. THEY get more money per year than we have ever seen--or will see--in our entire lives--several of us put together, even--unless we win a bigtime lottery--and WE pay exorbitant monthly rates, while THEY sit around counting their money, and laughing at us--all the way to their financial advisors' offices.

AT&T needs US more that we need THEM--and they need to acknowledge this--and give us call centers located in the U.S., pay employees an actual living wage--and treat customers like we matter--because that's what a business is supposed to do--value their custormes--because WE are the only reason THEY are.

it has all gotten worse since the merger--and it's time for things to change...

Message 10 of 28

Great idea!! Gets those letters in the mail!

Tags (2)
Message 11 of 28
Teacher

I agree with every single post here.  This is my take;

I am in total agreement with the issues mentioned.  In fact I have actually called nearly every month since the "sudden and unexpected" changes occured to continuously voice my absolute hatred and dissatisfaction.  The last time I called I informed them if this wasn't corrected over the next 30 days I would begin my search of another provider.  I have now begun to do so.  I have been far more patient than one should be with the dollars being spent.  Usually, when one rolls out such a huge change, the option to go back to previous system is given.  The beta testing phase.  Not sure about anyone else but I never saw one.  I am now beyond angry.  The customer used to have the ability to customize the background color, font style and size and now we are forced to put up with what has been chosen for us by what;  some 18 year old?  

We have a 50" samsung HD smart TV and our seating from the TV is approximately 10 feet away.  Forget trying to read the menus from the bed on a 32" HDTV.  I have actually had to sit up to be even a foot or two closer to read it.  Would you call this an enjoyable viewing experience??  I don't think so! Prior to their so called upgrade we had no problems with the interface nor with the font or font size.  It was like we aged 30 years on the day the entire interface rolled out.  Too many problems which are affecting the enjoyment of our home entertainment!!!

Here are a few of the biggest issues:  (not that anyone will care)

• The font is too small and at times not legible with background
  • The font color is not defined enough-in other words lack of contrast
  • Font style is not appropriate
  • Directv has removed any ability to customize how we want to view our menus; background color for contrast, fonts as described above
  • There is not enough definition/contrast between watched/unwatched recordings.  It is nearly impossible to tell which episodes among many that may have been viewed and therefore accidentally deleted which really p---es me off. 
  • There have been numerous occasions (so many I have lost count) that I am trying to catch up on multiple seasons of a show and then BAM right in the middle of viewing, whole seasons just disappear.  HAVE  THEM ALL OR DON'T HAVE ANY!!!!!!!!
  • If directv is going to state we have on demand shows and all seasons (which they do all over the place) then dammit you need to deliver!!!!  There are many shows I have wanted to see and actually begin to watch but when I get done with season 1 and go to the next season there are nearly all of the episodes missing!  What the F---!@! If there are typically 20 episodes per season then I expect all 20 to be there not 3 or 2 or 5.  Many times I have resorted to Hulu.  AGAIN, HAVE THEM ALL OR DON'T HAVE ANY!

The above items are all points of contention for us and we are now looking to other service.  These items are those that I have called to log my complaint personally over and over and to date have not been addressed.  Directv rolled this all out overnight and my feeling is that giving them the last 5-6 months is more than enough time to make corrections or revert back until you actually get it right.  I am done!

Message 12 of 28
Teacher

File a complaint with the FCC. Here's the link to copy. There are separate options for TV issues and for accessibility issues:

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

Message 13 of 28
Teacher

Yes. I am constantly having that issue also.  My stock answer is file an FCC complaint. The law requires they must respond. Hopefully if enough of us take that route they might just listen. Maybe, if the stars align...

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

Message 14 of 28

Done!!
Message 15 of 28
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support