Explore & discover

Helpful Links

MeTv

Highlighted

MeTv

Why can't DirecTV offer MeTV, Cozi TV ,grit tv ,Laff TV ,antenna TV , This TV ,Buzzr TV ,Justice tv , Bounce tv , Get tv, Decades tv, live well, accu weather
Message 1 of 9
ACE - Expert

Re: MeTv

Directv is not adding "sub-channels" of local affiliates for most areas because of satellite bandwidth prioritized for national channels (the actual service you pay for). Unknown if this would change in the future whenever Directv might be able to launch any new satellites into orbit. Plug in an over-the-air antenna for any locals in range in the meantime.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 9
ACE - Expert

Most of these are local channels not national ones so DirecTV would have to provide separate bandwidth for everyone. They would also have to negotiate with each of the local stations that currently has local rights to the prgramming

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 9

Thanks guys BUT.. Lol
I use to use ota (am21) with my hr34-700 got all those channels in my guide. Could watch/record just like normal channels. Also I received two other locals as well. (For sports)
Just got a new upgrade HS17-500
No ota
No caller id
No picture in picture.
And they call this an up grade!
Did anyone ever put there receiver on ALL channels and go from channel 1 to the end!
Talk about no bandwidth for new channels are you -uckin kidden me.. there is a soooo many repeats and channels with just the directv logo. Three channels alone for ordering the nfl Sunday ticket
I just want channels that ALL the local cable company carries. Maybe this is why everyone is dropping satellite TV besides all the other perks like triple play. I guess I'll get on the wagon too
Message 4 of 9
ACE - Expert

Starting with the HR54 Genie they stopped making the phone jack in the box. Caller ID was not well supported (not a high priority for a tv service) and more people have their boxes connected to internet for ordering PPVs, and use non supported phone types (VOIP, Uverse, Cellphone).

AM21 was discontinued as well. Works to a point if you have one, but is not getting any updates.

Directv is about national channels and is in the middle of adding more 4K content from national channels. Why should Directv provide more resources and money to pay for channels you can get free over-the-air as normal?

HS17 is only an upgrade for certain setups because of having increased tuners, recording space, and in addition to the CCK it also has the WVB built in. And unlike the HR54 which only supports one 4K channel at a time to a C61K client, the HS17 supports 2. My household has a Genie and 2 HDDVRs and we cannot get the HS17 otherwise we lose 2 tuners as the HS17 does not work with any receivers. It is a client only system. If the HS17 (aka Genie-2) worked with regular receivers than it definitely would be an upgrade practically across the board. But like the HR34 was the 1st generation Genie, the HS17 is the 1st generation Genie-2. HR34 couldn't keep up with software and hardware updates, so the HR44 (and later HR54) were made with faster processor, better design for cooling, and had the wireless CCK built in. HR54 was only needed to support a 4K setup, no other benefits over the HR44.

So for channels, don't expect new locals (especially "sub-channels") anytime soon. You can certainly go to @ATTDIRECTVCare to put in your voice that you would like the channels. Just don't expect it to force a change. Directv is not a cable company. Not like they can just install new hardware into the satellites as easily as cable companies can work on the ground. There are pros and cons to each. Myself I prefer Directv so I don't fight the fact that cable shares internet bandwidth between all customers in the neighborhood and pushes their tv service through that as well. I will keep my internet and tv though separate delivery systems thank you very much and without interference from my neighbors. Placeholders in the guide does not equal free bandwidth for you.

As for your equipment upgrade, that is the risk of going to a 1st generation of a new system, just like when you got the HR34. But Caller ID and AM21 were no longer supported long before this so eventually it is expected these would stop working altogether on the old boxes at some point.

Message 5 of 9

Thanks for your comments Jupiter. Hope 4k takes off like 3D.. Everyone goes out and buys 3D tv's and you guys drop all the channels. I'm sure the installer is watching all my 3D recordings in the back of his van with the rest of my old equipment....
Thanks for the positive feedback buddy... I'm a long-time customer! I'm probably a longer customer than your working there. Remember USSB? I've been through lots of equipment probably about 15 upgrades.. Thank for the positive comments.
You have a wonderful day mr. Jupiter
Message 6 of 9
ACE - Expert

Better resolution is very often desired so 4K has high chance for survival, as long as hardware can keep up (and affordable for people to produce 4K content in the first place). 3D, at least the kind we could enjoy at home was more of a fad as old style or new you had to wear glasses either way.

Only being a realist. Technology changes, not every feature goes along with it. HDDVR line to Genie Whole Home HDDVR line to Genie-2 server line is not merely the next model but a new generation of equipment. 1st ones tend to showcase the idea, but more often than not it is the following versions that make it solid. Just like HR34 to the HR44, the first Google phone G1 to the My Touch, and as such expected HS17 to the next numbered Genie-2.

I do not work for Directv/AT&T. Employees will have a tag by their name. I have dealt with pay tv service for practically my whole life, the last 15 years of which were my own account with Directv that I am paying for instead of using family or roommates account. I don't upgrade often as I don't feel the 'must have' of needing the latest and greatest (or just newest) piece of equipment. But I do keep myself informed to see if an upgrade would benefit me. So on my own account I went from the owned days of Phillips receivers, to R22s for SDDVR, HR23/HR24 when I finally decided to go HD, to my end result of my HR24s and HR44. 4K does not have enough content to warrant the loss of 2 tuners for me. For many people the HS17 is the right system. It would be the best if it could support working with HDDVRs for the tuners.

I match my positivity to the reality. Sure hope for the best, but understand and expect what is probably more reasonable to happen even if it not quite what you want. I would rather Directv work on finalizing their new equipment, and coming out with more 4K options to make the upgrades worth it, instead of raising our bill to cover the additional cost of adding more of our free over-the-air channels. I just plug in my antenna to the tv if I want to enjoy any locals that Directv (and I) are not paying for.

Message 7 of 9

Directv is paying millions for (cbs,fox,nbc,cw) there all free too on ota... maybe if DirecTV pulls all those channels as you suggest.. Our bills would be lowered!
Everywhere you read there's a contract dispute with CBS NBC or Fox somewhere in the country why don't everybody just use antenna like you claim.
Message 8 of 9
ACE - Expert

I do not suggest them pulling the channels, just that the local affiliates in each area to quit requesting great increases in price. Directv can only absorb so much before cost has to be passed on to the customer. Local affiliates are the ones who most often go "dark" temporarily in an attempt to have customers call in and complain, using the customer as leverage hoping the tv provider will agree to the increased cost.

I don't like the situation, but I would rather Directv stand their ground against the increased cost than just agreeing to it and passing on whatever they need to us to help cover it.

There are people out there who thought the analog to digital conversion of locals meant you had to go to pay tv to get locals. Essentially it was misunderstood that the "digital converter box" was the receiver box that pay tv providers use instead of just converting the OTA signal from digital to the analog of older tvs. And some people live where they are behind a hill or such that provides a weaker signal from the locals, but have good line of site to the sky where Directv comes down from. It is my belief that these two situations are where most of the local affiliates leverage comes from when negotiating for higher rates paid to them.

Message 9 of 9
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support