Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Losing ESPN

Contributor

Losing ESPN

I received an email stating that Directv's right to provide ESPN Classic will expire on 11/30/19 and programming will no longer be available.  It goes on to say that as a customer in Wisconsin, I may cancel any television programming offering affected by this programming change, without incurring an early termination fee, disconnect fee or change of service.  What exactly are you saying here?  Only ESPN Classic?  All ESPN channels?  Why would I be charged anyway when I didn't decide to stop offering the channel?  If I go with another company I won't be charged the fees?  There is another company in my area that has cable (including ESPN) and internet for a better price than Directv so I might switch to them if I don't really get all the cancellation fees, etc.

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Expert

Re: Losing ESPN

It’s ESPN Classic only that is being discontinued. What the letter is saying is if you decide to cancel Directv because of losing that channel, you won’t get charged an early termination fee. That is something unique to Wisconsin customers because dropping a channel does not get other customers out of paying ETF’s. Of course, you are only charged an ETF if you are on a contract, which you may not be anyway.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
Scholar

Not only in Wisconsin........but I got the notice on my Set in Michigan.   More lost channels, but no change in monthly billing.  Sounds about right eh?  Still waiting..........since June 1st, 2019...... for Directv and the Howard Stirk Holdings to come to a resolution on Rebroadcasting NBC to Flint, Saginaw, Bay City and all the other little towns in the viewing area.  You see, AT&T doesn't want to pay Howard Stirk to send NBC to us rural area residents since if you have an antenna, you can get it for free.  So AT&T is in NO HURRY to pay for rebroadcasting a TV channel for maybe 10,000 people who subscribe to Directv.  Don't let Directv say it's the other guy.  The last update was, that Directv HAS STOPPED ALL NEGOTIATIONS with STIRK HOLDINGS...... So I kissed my NBC channel goodbye.  In years to come, they'll do the same with ABC, CBS and FOX when their rebroadcasting contracts come up.  Guaranteed.

Message 3 of 4
ACE - Expert

DTV doesn't want to pay the increased price that they are asking for so your NBC removed the feed. The clause states that channels and programs are subject to change at anytime so legally all providers don't have to give credits/refunds but DTV has been doing so if you call. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support