Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Local stations

Tutor

Local stations

I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas area and I receive those local stations at home; however, I have a vacation home on Galveston Bay and get Atlanta, Georgia local stations when I'm watching there.  Anyway I can get the Houston/Galveston or D/FW stations when I'm at the vacation home?

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Expert

Re: Local stations

Nope.  Local stations are beamed from "spot beam" satellite antennas aimed at their primary cities.  You won't see the Texas stations when you're in Georgia. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
Tutor

I'm not in Georgia.  I'm at my vacation home in the Houston, Texas area and receiving Atlanta local stations.  My primary home is the Dallas, Texas area where I receive Dallas local stations when I'm there.

Message 3 of 4
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by garmoa
‎05-28-2018 12:18 PM

Local channels are "spot beamed". This means you travel outside that area, the locals are not available. This is because by Federal regulations (FCC) you may only get the locals for your designated market area (DMA). This is to protect the rights of local channels, regional professional sport viewing markets, and taxes charged which are all based on the physical address.

Check www.directv.com/locals to see what Directv has that they are legally able to provide you for where you are actually at.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support