Explore & discover

Helpful Links

LOCAL CHANNELS

LOCAL CHANNELS

Please tell me why, in the world, you people keep shutting off our local cable stations because "negotiations broke down". At the insanely high prices we have to pay for pretty lousy service, it really takes a lot of nerve. You boast about packages with hundreds of channels, only to have the majority of those channels be shopping networks. Shame on you. 

I am speaking specifically about WBRC-6 in Birmingham, AL. Since 2015 your company has done this 14 times. FOURTEEN! That is atrocious! 

You people need to stop trying to be on top re: dish/cable stations and think about your quality of services instead of holding customers hostage by taking local channels away. 

This is nothing but absolute CORPORATE GREED. If we cannot watch the channel, we should not have to pay for it. I, for one, am going either back to Charter or go to Dish Network.

Yours truly,

EXTREMELY DISGRUNTLED CUSTOMER 

Message 1 of 16
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by TheMamanator
‎08-28-2017 8:29 PM

Re: LOCAL CHANNELS

directv doesnt remove stations.   the station stops its signal

the station wants more money for something thats free OTA

i support directv for not caving in causing prices to rise

contact your local station. ask them if they are refunding thier advertisers for loss of viewers

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 16
ACE - Expert

Your local station loves to keep their customers as hostages to get more money for their free OTA programs and yes it is the station's corporate greed that causes them to remove their programs from DTV.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 16
ACE - Expert

Yep, it's CORPORATE GREED all right!   Greed on the part of the company that owns that station.  Ask yourself why you should have to pay anything to get a station that uses our public airwaves for free?

Message 4 of 16
ACE - Expert

No tv providers (Charter, Dish Network, Comcast, Cableone, etc.) are immune from channel neogtiations. They don't own the channel.

Agreement ends soon > TV Provider and Network start negotiating > agreement is not reached by the time the current one ends > Network could choose to stay on during continued negotiating as a sign of good faith, but sometimes (most often with locals) the network will stay off to use customers as leverage to get the tv provider (and by the bill increase the customer) to pay more money for their free over-the-air (OTA) broadcast. Only the network owner has the broadcast rights to turn on or off their channel.

So the "Corporate Greed" leans heavily on the network owners side. TV providers are just trying to prevent further cost increase as there is enough already in the business. I say plug in an OTA antenna to the TV (Yes they still work though many viewers seem to think otherwise since the digital conversion a few years ago) to enjoy your free locals. If you truly cannot live without your free local OTA comming through on your national pay tv service, then submit complaint to the channel owner about them raising costs for a 'free' channel. Guess what, its not free to Directv and at some point increased cost to do business will be passed onto us (the customer).

So do you want the channel now and your bill raised up or do you want to be patient while Directv works on keeping rates reasonable for your free channels? In the meantime check www.directv.com as they have a section just for local channels when there are negotiation situations like this.

Message 5 of 16
Contributor

What happened to fix channel 40 in Mississippi I have been waiting for Empire and Starz to come back on the 27th now all that waiting for nothing
Message 6 of 16
ACE - Expert

It is up to your local channel when they will turn the signal back on to DTV as DTV will carry them while they talk.

They want more money for their free OTA programs.

Message 7 of 16
Highlighted
Contributor

Same here on the coast of NC...we lost local Fox and missed the World Series telecast.  When will those negotiations we completed.  Also, missed the Ohio State - Wisconsin Football game last night.  If Fox keep winning the big sporting events broadcast...then i will have to move to another cable provider.  I understand what is going on ... but at $154.00 per month for cable...this is unsatisfactory.

Message 8 of 16
ACE - Expert

Seeing this thread again I realize I gave the wrong link in a prior post. It is on the Directvpromise webpage. Here is the exact link for local station negotiations: http://directvpromise.com/keeping-you-connected-to-your-local-stations/

Message 9 of 16
Contributor

So far as I know, ATT/DTV is charging AT LEAST $6/mo to provide local channels.  Since mine in Mpls/StPaul were cut off Wed 10 April 2019, I propose to pay the monthly bill LESS $6 this month.  Next month I expect they will want this month's $6, so in May I will pay the bill LESS $12.  If they want to cut me off completely, I can already hear DishNetwork and Xfinity banging on my door.

Message 10 of 16
Contributor

In addition to my previous rant, I can find no button or link on the ATT/DTV website that will put me in contact with them - instead, all I can find is this 'blog' site which I suppose everyone (especially ATT/DTV "service" personnel) just ignores.  So customer service was sacrificed at the altar of mega-corp-ism, AGAIN.

Tags (1)
Message 11 of 16
ACE - Expert

@schitlman wrote:

So far as I know, ATT/DTV is charging AT LEAST $6/mo to provide local channels.  Since mine in Mpls/StPaul were cut off Wed 10 April 2019, I propose to pay the monthly bill LESS $6 this month.  Next month I expect they will want this month's $6, so in May I will pay the bill LESS $12.  If they want to cut me off completely, I can already hear DishNetwork and Xfinity banging on my door.

Let us know how that works out for you.

Message 12 of 16
ACE - Expert

There is no longer a fee for local channels, those providers will be in the same boat when their contracts expire with the local channels.

Message 13 of 16
ACE - Expert

@schitlman 

DirecTV packages include local channels. It has not been a separate fee for many years.

As long as there is one local channel provided by DirecTV, there is no change to bill. If you live in a very rare area where no locals at all may be provided, then DirecTV might adjust the package accordingly.

It is doubtful that all your locals are gone. Verify by www.directv.com/locals on what you should receive. To check channel negotiations, AT&T has moved to their website: https://tvpromise.att.com/

Channels and programming are subject to change, as TV providers do not own the channels. As such they have this in their terms of service. Some channels going through negotiations does not change the cost of your service.

Refusing to pay your bill means you are looking at late fees, and even service interruption depending how far you go. Choosing not to pay the bill doesn't make any company lower the amount to compensate. Total bill remains valid unless an adjustment is approved by the TV provider, be it DirecTV or someone else.

Message 14 of 16
ACE - Expert

You maybe eligible to get an LCC OTA device to add local channels to the DTV guide. 

Message 15 of 16
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support