Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Insufficient bandwidth

Highlighted
Contributor

Insufficient bandwidth

I had my Arris gateway replaced yesterday after a complete failure. Last night, I tried to stream video and was presented with an insufficient bandwidth message. Several speed tests were all 6k plus, however I noticed that my tv and another wifi connected device are on the 5 Ghz band. Also, according to the connected devices report, there are 6 or 7 wired devices, 4 of which are unknown to me. How can I get my tv back on the 2.4 band as it was prior to this current headache inducing situation. Thanks!
Message 1 of 8
Scholar
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Peapicker76
‎08-10-2017 5:05 PM

Re: Insufficient bandwidth

If you have 5.0 and 2.4 they have different names; one should have the name of router with the 5.0 afterward and the 2.4 would just have the name of router.  Go to your TV (I am assuming that you actually meant TV) - go the settings of the tv find where you have your network setup and repeat it selecting the band you want.

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 8
Contributor

I'll give that a try when I get home. I was in Samsung setup last night when I entered the new network name and password. This doesn't seem familiar, but I'll check. Also, when I check the device list in the ATT app, sometimes my iPhone is 5ghz, sometimes 2.4. Same with iPad and my wife's iPhone. Thanks for your help.
Message 3 of 8
Contributor

I've been on Uverse + AT&T Internet for quite awhile. I'm on a 24 Mbps plan, and I'm ok with the 20 I get on Speedtest, but that's late night. As I type right now, I max out at 3.2. I'm not getting what I pay for. The bandwidth is erratic. A tech came out yesterday to work on "wire integrity" which was the remote diagnosis by Customer Service. There are no changes in the bandwidth behavior. So what's the deal? Am I too far from the last network box? Is my neighborhood oversubscribed? All I know is that in peak hours, speed is 20 times too slow. At 10 pm I get 18-20 Mbps. The wiring has been addressed. The gateway is in the right place. Answers now, please.

Message 4 of 8
ACE - Expert

This is the DirecTV forum, you need to post in the ATT one..

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 8
Contributor

Moved had to use direct tv however they partner with dissatisfaction for internet service video streaming is nearly impossible I have upgraded to viasats platinum service which still does not stream property but I am paying a very large monthly fee for poor performance 

Message 6 of 8
ACE - Expert

We don't recommend connecting DTV to any capped or metered internet as it will eat up you data in no time.  What does DTV have to do with your internet speed?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 8
ACE - Expert

@Davidmorones wrote:

Moved had to use direct tv however they partner with dissatisfaction for internet service video streaming is nearly impossible I have upgraded to viasats platinum service which still does not stream property but I am paying a very large monthly fee for poor performance 

DirecTV partners with several internet service providers (ISP). Depends where you live on who they partner with there, if any.

However, DirecTV is not recommended to be connected to any internet that is metered or otherwise data capped, like satellite internet tends to be. You run the risk of it eating through your data allowance. Satellite internet is more for areas where you have no other option than the sky. It has less bandwidth and speeds available from regular home internets (cable, DSL, fiber optics, etc.).

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support