Explore & discover

Helpful Links

How long will it take for us to have our local CBS TV channels back?

Mentor

How long will it take for us to have our local CBS TV channels back?

How long will it take for us to have our local CBS TV channels back? It has been much too long without them.

Tags (2)
Message 14 of 1,213
ACE - Professor

Re: Why remove our channels ?

The CBS issue is only for affiliates which are owned/operated by CBS.

Dispatch Media Group owns WBNS-TV. This channel will not be affected.

I would suggest calling the retentions department to save money off your bill. Use a calendar or post-it note by the TV to remind you to call back. You play this game and it's free money in your pocket.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 76 of 1,213
ACE - Professor

Re: Loss of channels purchased

The CBS issue is only for certain affiliates.

Spectrum also plays this same game. In fact, they bow down to greed and have to raise the local channel access fee to $11/mo in many areas so their customers can get free-to-air channels.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 77 of 1,213
Teacher

CBS going to be blacked out

Just saw a commercial saying CBS is going to be blacked out if Att does not get the negotiations done.  First we lose  NFL network and  now CBS.

ATT Uverse is trying to get rid of their customers.  We are looking now for all options so we can cut ATT Uverse and it will not be ATT  Direct Now Or Direct TV . They will lose us as internet users also.

Its a shame they dont care at all for their customers.

Message 78 of 1,213
ACE - Expert

Re: CBS going to be blacked out

No, your CBS will remove their feed to DTV if they don't pay them more.  All providers have this problem so have fun moving again when your new provider has this problem.

Message 79 of 1,213
ACE - Expert

Re: CBS going to be blacked out

Here we go again Smiley Sad

Realize that CBS is threatening to pull their owned stations, not DirecTV. This is an all too common negotiating tactic used by these corporations to extort more money from TV service providers.  None are immune, so even switching providers won't help.

You will need to use an off-air antenna until they allow DirecTV to provide them again. If you can receive the station with an off-air antenna, this is a good time to request DirecTV’s Local Channel Connector (if you have HR44/HR54). It’s free. And some folks are getting a credit on their account, too. Call DirecTV …. 1 800 531 5000 

If CBS follows through on their threat, you'll also want to contact them directly. Request that they allow DirecTV to continue carrying them while negotiations continue. And ask them why providers like Dish, DirecTV and Comcast must pay them anything when they get to use our public airwaves for FREE?!?  After all, these service providers increase their overall viewership and advertising revenue.  They're shooting themselves in the foot!

The FCC and Congress could easily fix this. Just allow service providers to deliver an out-of-area station when local stations get greedy. But I fear that the broadcast TV lobby is too powerful to ever let that happen.

Keep up on the latest updates at https://tvpromise.att.com/

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 80 of 1,213
Scholar

I don't think CBS in the Ohio area is included on the upcoming blackout. 

If it is though, then first it was NFL network, then NBC, and now CBS. Simply amazing how the customers are ALWAYS put in the middle of these contract issues. 

Message 81 of 1,213
Employee

Re: CBS

You can check on tvpromise.com all the updates

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 82 of 1,213
Contributor

why are you choosing to drop KPIX CBS Channel 5 in the San Francisco area?

It is the channel I watch the most and I will seriously consider going over to Comcast if you drop CBS at 11 PM tonight (July 19).  I'm sure it's a money issue and I pay plenty for U-verse TV service, so please settle this dispute or risk losing lots of customers to Comcast/Xfinity which is your main competitor.  Please reconsider as you will lose a lot more in subscription services money than you will gain by eliminating a VERY popular broadcast offering by dumping CBS KPIX Channel 5.

Message 83 of 1,213
ACE - Professor

Re: why are you choosing to drop KPIX CBS Channel 5 in the San Francisco area?

Think about what you just wrote. Why would AT&T (or any provider) choose to drop some of their product?

This is entirely the fault of CBS which wants more money for something you can get for free with an antenna. If Comcast has it...why do they? Because they bowed down to CBS' greed.

Message 84 of 1,213
ACE - Professor

Most (all?) of the articles online indicate the cities involved.

The CBS in "the Ohio area" (aka Columbus area) is absolutely not involved, as they are not owned by CBS.

This CBS affiliate, along with a sister station in Indianapolis was up for renewal a few years ago.

Message 85 of 1,213
Contributor

Frustrated Viewer - Nexstar Broadcasting

When will I get back my CBS station?  Two weeks to negotiate a contract is plenty of time.  If you aren’t going to give us back our local channel why can you not provide us another CBS station to watch?  Don’t tell me to go to tvpromise.att because I’ve been there.  You tell me I can watch on apps but apps are not my tv screen.  You tell me I can turn off the receiver and watch on my digital tv but I can’t do that without an antenna which I am not going out to buy as we pay enough for this as it is.

Message 86 of 1,213
ACE - Professor

Re: Frustrated Viewer - Nexstar Broadcasting

AT&T can't provide another CBS affiliate because the FCC says they can't.

Easy solution: Call the retentions office and politely threaten to cancel. They'll knock maybe $30 or more off your bill each month for a while. Put a reminder on your calendar to call back when the promotions expire.

With the money you save, you can buy an antenna and still have money left over.

Message 87 of 1,213
Contributor

Re: CBS

Upset lost channel 2 - CBS and channel 9.  Just went off air.  Only given warning. No removal date. AT&T has pushed us to our limit. Service has gone done hill all the way around. Nice way to respect retired employees who really did care and appreciate working for them at the time!!!!

Message 88 of 1,213
Contributor

Reduced services

How much of a discount do I get if you continue to drop CBS? 

Message 89 of 1,213
ACE - Expert

Re: Reduced services

Zero as there is a clause that states channel and programing are subject to change at anytime. CBS is the one that removed their feed to DTV..

Message 90 of 1,213
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support