Helpful Links

How do I fix On Demand that is ridiculously slow?

Tutor

How do I fix On Demand that is ridiculously slow?

My on demand has always been ridiculously slow to the point I don't even waste the electricity to turn on the Cinema Connection Kit.  I tried again today for a test.  I first ran a speed test on my laptop near the Connection Kit.  I get 7 Mbps download and 1.7 Mbps upload from a NetGear wireless G router.  I tried a wireless N and it made no difference so I took it back.  I tried to view a 49 minute show and got a message that I need at least 1.37 Mbps and was only getting 0.27 Mbps.  The message also said I should record and view later.  So I did and the download time was to be over three hours, so I cancelled.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this, or is it just the way it is?

Message 1 of 27
Employee

Re: How do I fix On Demand that is ridiculously slow?

7Mbps is on the slow side.  Can you get another ISP with better bandwidth?

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 27
Expert

Are you sure you were using On Demand?  The 1.37 Mbps sounds like a GenieGO message.

Message 3 of 27

I have 7 to 10 Mbps, and I cannot watch instantly. I always have to record it, wait about 5-10 mins and then watch it, or else I keep getting stuck buffering. Its just like anything you stream online, it needs to load some before you can seamlessly watch it.

Message 4 of 27
Tutor

Sorry, wrong message replied to.  Nope, one ISP in our rural area.

Message 5 of 27
Tutor

Yes, don't even have a Genie

Message 6 of 27
Employee

only option is to record now and watch later.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 27
Tutor

A 46 minute show and it has been recording for 2 hours already.

Message 8 of 27
Tutor

Not an acceptable alternative unless it is something I really want to watch.  In that case its not really even worth looking to see if there is even anything good available.

Message 9 of 27
Expert

You can go to www.speedtest.net and do a test on your download speed.  Keep in mind that the connection to your DVR if wireless may be considerably slower.  It takes a good solid 8 Mbps connection to download most On Demand in real time. As Rapidusdecorus referred to a bit of patience works pretty good.  But, even folks with slower connections can enjoy On Demand if they plan ahead.   Keep in mind that Directv's (unlike almost all other systems) does not down rez their On Demand to suit a connection speed, their stuff is in full HD including Dolby audio if available. 

Message 10 of 27
Administrator

Don't know if this is at all possible for you to do as don't know what your configuration or equipment is. A direct Ethernet connection is much preferred over wireless. If this is possible it would definitely let you know what are chances are related to on demand.

Message 11 of 27

A direct connection probably will help you, as new2dtv said. If you cant run the line yourself, if the router is too far away, you can get a coax cinema connection kit installed from directv.

Message 12 of 27
Tutor

Yes, as I mentioned in my original post, I get 7 Mbps but the same time on DirecTV was 0.27 Mbps.  That makes no sense to me.

Message 13 of 27
Tutor

Yes I have thought of that,but have to see if I can even make that work.

Message 14 of 27
Tutor

How does a coax cinema connection kit work
?

Message 15 of 27
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the Watching DIRECTV Forum! Need to troubleshoot your service? Need to see some of the products we offer? Wondering how to take your DVR with you? Click below!

Additional Support