Explore & discover

Helpful Links

HDMI output not supported

Contributor

HDMI output not supported

I feel like I am in the Twilight Zone. Up until 2 weeks ago my phone was streaming perfectly to my TV. A  little background .. I am a Directv client and an AT&T customer. I have a cabin in a fairly remote area. I receive internet service really well from AT&T. I use a lightening plus an HDMI cord to stream from my phone to my TV. Now I receive an error message, “HDMI output not supported “. My husbands phone still works fine. I have tried reloading the Directv app a dozen times, even reset my phone. Still same error message. AT&T says it is a Directv issue and vice versa. I have spoken with Apple and they have no idea. Two of the ‘higher’ level techs at AT@T didn’t even know it was possible to stream from your phone to your TV!!! HELP!

Message 1 of 34
ACE - Expert

Re: HDMI output not supported

Streaming from your phone to a TV is not supported. Someone at ATT/DirecTV has found many people trying to use streaming to avoid havine a receiver for an additional TV and paying the additional TV fee so they have removed that capability.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 34

That violates the TV and Go functionality they originally promised you could use it for on your phone. This needs to be moved up the corporate ladder again to take something away in the Diwnload and go functionality. It expressly day you can watch your programming anywhere. There was no limitations on using it from your phone to a mirror device such as a monitor or tv. 

Message 3 of 34
ACE - Expert

They never said you could stream to a TV only to a mobile device.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 34
ACE - Expert

@geyservilleman

This does not violate anything.

You can stream Directv on your phone (Within country. Locals and professional sports have their viewing areas of course).

You can temporarily download from your DVR (HR44, HR54, HS17) to your phone for on the go watching for 30 days before the downloads expire.

You CANNOT stream from your phone to TV. You pay for each authorized TV on the service. You are not allowed to give TV to another household, like a friend or family member, as they must have their own account and boxes. You cannot copy recordings from DVR or Directv mobile app to an external device (pirating).

Though some have gotten streaming to TV to work, it is not supposed to. And it was never stated you could stream/tether your phone to TV. Too many people assume that it was allowed, but it was never explicitly stated it could.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 5 of 34

These are downloaded from my DVR to my phone not streamed.
Message 6 of 34
ACE - Expert

@geyservilleman wrote:

Any time you use the Apple Lightning-to-HDMI adapter you're "streaming" from the phone to your TV (Apple AirPlay).  Doesn't matter if you already downloaded the shows to your phone.  

Message 7 of 34

Pointless
Message 8 of 34
ACE - Expert

@geyservilleman wrote:
Pointless

Sorry that you don't like the explanation.  Would it be nice if the DirecTV App supported the Lightning-to-HDMI adapter, sure.  Does it?  No.  If that's an important feature for you then you'll need to explore alternative providers.  

Message 9 of 34

Again since you’re not a representative of ATT your post is irrelevant. When you’re on a rural area the alternative isn’t available.
Message 10 of 34
ACE - Expert

@geyservilleman wrote:
Again since you’re not a representative of ATT your post is irrelevant. When you’re on a rural area the alternative isn’t available.

Sure.  There's Dish Network.

Message 11 of 34
ACE - Expert

@geyservilleman wrote:

Downloaded to you phone is only for viewing on the phone itself. Streaming/casting/tethering (whatever term you prefer) to a TV is not supported.

Yes we would like the option, but for several reasons it is not supposed to work. You will not get a free additional TV on the service or give TV viewing to another household, even if just by downloaded content.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 12 of 34
Contributor

It’s all about money to these sorry [word filter avoidance], u can watch from a phone but not TV,  because it’s larger on Tv? , what a mind [word filter avoidance] of People!!

Message 13 of 34
ACE - Expert

Such a polite and elegant response. 

Message 14 of 34
ACE - Expert

@ReallyNotv24 wrote:

It’s all about money to these sorry [word filter avoidance], u can watch from a phone but not TV,  because it’s larger on Tv? , what a mind [word filter avoidance] of People!!

Yes, the program providers charge DirecTV a fee for the number of users who can watch their product on a normal size TV, and have a different fee structure for mobile devices.  If you could use the mobile device to put the product on a normal size TV, then the program providers wouldn't get their money.  So DIRECTV is enforcing this to meet the content providers requirements per their contracts.

Message 15 of 34
Share this topic
Share this topic
Learn to set up & use your remote control. View DIRECTV Remote Control Help!
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support