Helpful Links

HDMI losing handshake with Denon receiver

HDMI losing handshake with Denon receiver

So, I have read a bit on this forum about the same exact issue I am having. It seems it happened a lot late spring, and then was fixed with an update soon after.

My problem is, I JUST had an install today. I saw the installer download the latest software update. But I am having this same exact issue with my Genie box, Denon receiver, and Panny TV.

Is it possible there's still an update out there that my box just hasn't downloaded yet?

It is super frustrating.
Message 1 of 22
Employee

Re: HDMI losing handshake with Denon receiver

Perhaps you can check if your Denon has a newer firmware.  But what happens if you connect the Genie to the Tv directly?

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 22
ACE - Expert

What model Denon AVR do you have?  I've had no HDMI issues with my Denon AVR3312ci.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 22

I've got a Denon AVR-1909. Just seems odd it would have to do with the Denon when there were many earlier posts on this forum regarding this exact issue with the DVR's.

Message 4 of 22
ACE - Expert

Issues with HDMI and various models of Denon receiver have been around for ever, not jjust with DirecTv but also the other providers. I assume your setup works OK if you have the HR34 connected directly to the TV?

Make sure you set native to "off" and uncheck all the resolutions except 1080i (720p if your TV is 720p) in the HR34 setup menu. That will eliminate most of the HDMI handshake requirements and might solve the problem.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 22

I did switch to native, but doesn't DTV broadcast some things in 1080p?

Message 6 of 22

So I switch it off native. Seems to be working better now. My question is, will this effect the picture quality in anyway? Should I change the picture settings in the Denon from auto to 1080p?

Message 7 of 22
ACE - Expert

There are no HD broadcasts in 1080p, only a few PPV movies.  They'll play back just fine at 1080i.  

Message 8 of 22
Expert

My new Denon 1913 works perfectly with my Genie HR34 connected via HDMI.  I do have native set to off and the resolution set to 1080i only.  I'd guess the problem may well be with the TV.  I would run the Genie HDMI directly to the TV as a test so as to isolate the problem.  If it's the TV giving you problems you could try running component cables from the Denon to the TV.

Note that the handshake issue is so elusive you can't wait for someone to provide a software fix, you'll need to correct this yourself.

Message 9 of 22

It's not the TV, I ran straight to TV and it worked fine. It's also working fine when I switched native off, running HDMI through the 1909. I can live with it, I would just rather the receiver doing the processing over the DTV box.

Message 10 of 22
ACE - Expert

I doubt you can see any difference between the receiver doing the upscaling and the DirecTV box doing the upscaling. Unless you have a multi-thousand dollar scaler, they will perform just about the same.

Message 11 of 22
ACE - Expert

I'm not surprised that a 4-yr old AV Receiver would have more HDMI issues than a new one.  Glad to hear you found a suitable workaround.  

Message 12 of 22
Employee

Quote: Originally Posted by charliebrandt09 
I did switch to native, but doesn't DTV broadcast some things in 1080p?

There is no difference in DirecTV's 1080i and 1080p.  it is just a marketing scheme.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 13 of 22
Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by charliebrandt09 
 I would just rather the receiver doing the processing over the DTV box.

I have messed with all three doing the conversion and with native on or off and my conclusion is that you absolutely cannot tell the difference.  Maybe that's because 90% of all the TV I watch is in 1080i so the only conversion occurs in the TV itself when it converts to 1080p(60).

With native off and the DVR set to 1080i, the channel switching is faster.  It also massively reduces the handshakes required.

Message 14 of 22

You guys have convinced me to upgrade my receiver. Found a Marantz 1602 on sale for 299!

Message 15 of 22
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the Watching DIRECTV Forum! Need to troubleshoot your service? Need to see some of the products we offer? Wondering how to take your DVR with you? Click below!

Additional Support