HBOGO on Roku

Contributor

HBOGO on Roku

Why doesn't Directv support HBOGO on Roku devices? Directv on demand doesn't work on non-DVR devices. For example, my bedroom has a H24 connected to whole home but I can't start a download from my bedroom.

HBOGO on Roku is a perfect compliment to Directv whole home DVR (which I have and love).

Message 1 of 36 (18,192 Views)
Expert

Re: HBOGO on Roku

Directv does not support a Roku connection.  No one here can do anything re the reasons except guess.

The H25 cannot carry the On Demand guide due to lack of a hard drive.  The OD Guide is actually a series of websites with many interactive features, thus requiring a hard drive to store it all.  I'm sure you're aware that you can download On Demand to the DVR and watch it on the H25.

Message 2 of 36 (94 Views)
ACE - Expert

I doubt it will ever happen.  DirecTV probably considers Roku as a competitor.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 36 (94 Views)
Scholar

..or, Microsoft has the cash to keep Xbox exclusivity.. Wink

Message 4 of 36 (94 Views)
Contributor

I just got a Roku. After installation I realized that DirecTV won’t allow me to use HBOGO on it for some strange reason. HBOOD is good but it does not have all seasons of every show i.e.: if you want to start watching Sopranos from season one, you will have to do it on your laptop or buy the DVDs. Is there anything we can do as consumers, to change this? 

Message 5 of 36 (94 Views)
Employee

Quote: Originally Posted by fyaluk 

I just got a Roku. After installation I realized that DirecTV won’t allow me to use HBOGO on it for some strange reason. HBOOD is good but it does not have all seasons of every show i.e.: if you want to start watching Sopranos from season one, you will have to do it on your laptop or buy the DVDs. Is there anything we can do as consumers, to change this? 

DirecTV does not monitor these forums.  best to email your feedback to DirecTV as they wont see it here. but see post #3

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 36 (94 Views)
Professor

And with what you are asking you probably need to contact HBO directly as well since DirecTV doesn't carry any weight regarding how HBO handles their On Demand(or HBOGO). DirecTV just carries it(On Demand) and it's customers are authorized to use it(HBOGO).

Message 7 of 36 (94 Views)

Quote: Originally Posted by fyaluk 

i.e.: if you want to start watching Sopranos from season one, you will have to do it on your laptop or buy the DVDs. Is there anything we can do as consumers, to change this? 

Actually this is not correct as HBO OD through DTV has all episodes and seasons of all shows with only a few exceptions.

Message 8 of 36 (94 Views)
Expert

Directv supports HBO Go on a computer.  It does not support HBO Go on a Silex Coffee Maker or a Roku.  Any questions?

Message 9 of 36 (94 Views)
Professor

dcd,

Yeah, I even tried changing to Starbucks Pikes Roast blend and that coffeemaker still wouldn't pick up HBOGO!!!

Message 10 of 36 (94 Views)
Tutor

I just cancelled my DirecTV order because of this. I spent close to an hour on the phone talking with a salesperson about how I was looking forward to being able to catch up with old episodes of The Wire on HBO Go. This, I told him, was a big thing for me. But the clueless boob apparently didn't know that DirecTV is blocking HBO Go on Roku devices. Either that or he was a baldface liar. I'm glad I found this out before tomorrow's appointment. Once again, DirecTV shows how petty and out-of-touch a company they are.

p.s. The hard drive argument doesn't hold water. HBO Go app is on my Roku as I write this, I just can't use it because DirecTV are a bunch of butthurt crybabies.

Message 11 of 36 (94 Views)
Contributor

We just tried to set up HBOGO on our roku only to find out that it is not available through Directv.  I called and spoke to a technical advisor who was unaware that DirectV did not provide this service.  She went online and saw that DirectV was not an option in activating HBOGO on Roku.  When I asked how this could be remedied she said that tech support has nothing to do with it and I would need to communicate with the president of DirectV.  This is ridiculous.  HBOOD does not provide what I am looking for as I tried to access Boardwalk Empire recently and it did not have all the episodes and didn't have them in the order I wanted and also had expiration dates.  Roku is no competition to Directv so I don't understand why they will not allow it to be provided since TimeWarner and Dish networks do.

Message 12 of 36 (94 Views)
Tutor

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out what rationale is behind this bizarre policy. But it's not a big deal. HBO is an absolutely worthless subscription, except for one or two shows. I'm happy to wait and give my money to Netflix, as DirecTV apparently doesn't want my business. I'm voting with my wallet. DirecTV will never get a cent out of me for HBO.

Message 13 of 36 (94 Views)
ACE - Expert

Nobody here can explain the reason.  Be sure to call DirecTV with your request.  They won't see it here. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 14 of 36 (94 Views)
Tutor

Already called and harangued repeatedly. They do not care.

Message 15 of 36 (94 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the Watching DIRECTV Forum! Need to troubleshoot your service? Need to see some of the products we offer? Wondering how to take your DVR with you? Click below!

Additional Support