Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Error code 771

Highlighted
Teacher

Error code 771

I have been getting the 771 error code this only started to happen today while there have been strong winds today that doesn't normally affect the signal.   I know I don't have a loose cable I haven't yet tried resetting the receiver which I will try.  

I have already had a tech out to look at the dish this was around July/August the tech couldn't do any work due to some high tree branches that are blocking the HD signal currently have HD channels hidden and have been watching SD channels.   

I asked about repositioning the dish but he said there wasn't another area he could point the dish to without having to place the dish somewhere else.  The error message has been affecting most channels so its definitely happening on more than 1 channel but doesn't seem to be affecting the DVR playback as much.    Not sure what else to try besides resetting the receiver and having the high tree branches which are causing the HD signal to be blocked

Message 1 of 15
Scholar
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by JBurns7837
‎11-03-2015 11:56 AM

Re: Error code 771

Resetting the receiver will not help. 771 indicates the receiver is not getting the satellite signal; that usually means either a cable/connector issue or something in line of sight to the satellites.  Whichever that is, you almost certainly need another service call and you will need to let the tech move the dish to a better location.

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 15
ACE - Expert

Trees have a nasty habit of growing and their branches can begin to obstruct your dish's view of the satellites.   Time to get the dish moved, or trim/remove the blocking trees. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 15
Teacher

yes this is a complete in the....  I've already had the dish realigned once (never moved though) due to tree beanches obstructing the dish's line of sight since I am in an HOA area not sure where to have the dish moved and aligned to.  The 771 error code isn't showing up this morning  I'll just put yesterdays issue down to weather conditions although 99.9% of the time that isn't an issue I have. 

Message 4 of 15
ACE - Expert

Home Owners Associations must abide by the federal OTARD laws that cannot restrict you from mounting a dish where necessary to receive the satellite signals, as long as the dish is on property for your "exclusive use".  Do a Google search on "OTARD" to learn more. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 15
Contributor

771 seems to occur with regularity for my Directv.  It usually comes about when a storm is coming.  Today it occured while we were getting a snow storm.  Unfortunately the signal remained out for the majoroity of the second half of the KC vs Houston Playoff game- it came back on with less than 4 minutes left in the game.  Undeterred, I want to my computer and Streamed the game Live.  So I'm wondering how many people use their computer for Sports, and TV Shows and totally bipasses DIrectv.  My wife is advising me to dump Directv since it's reliability is spotty and its costs are way to high.

TM 

Message 6 of 15
Former Employee

Well..satellite TV providers are susceptible to errors while there is snow in the area, on the dish or blocking the signal. It is normal. Dish heaters can help and if the dish is in a safe place, gently brushing it off work pouring warm water helps.

If you are experiencing that when there's no snow or bad weather then there may be a underlying problem with your equipment.

Message 7 of 15
Teacher

Hi,  Thank you for answering the problem isn't related to weather isses like snow.  The actual culpit is a tree that is blocking my HD signal.  I've been advised to trim them back so hopefully this'll remedy my problem.  Only within the last within weeks have I started to "somtimes" view certain HD channels within any type of interference other times I will get the 771 error code.  I have set up so I can see both types feed (SD, HD)  for now at least util I can get my issue resolved.  Your answer is much appreciated

Message 8 of 15
Former Employee

Oh, okay! Not a problem. Thanks for clarifying. If you do continue to have issues afterwards, you can post back here and we may be able to help or point you in the right direction.

Message 9 of 15
Teacher

Hi,  I managed to get all my HD feeds back after I

1) unpugged the receiver

2) unplugged the cinema connection

I have looked at signal strength satellite 101 both tuners 1 & 2 appear to be only in the high 70s the numbers that appear across the screen what numbers am I looking for?  Which satetillites and/or transponsers should  I be looking at when checking numbers?  There is only one receiver in the house at the moment Genie HR44 I have checked all of the indoor connections nothing loose.  I am wondering if the dish is out of allignment I did a system test only thing wrong is that it doesn't detect a phone dial tone

Only 1 or two channels now only occasional have signal loss every other hd channel isn't experiencing any issues releated to the 771 eror code.  I have yet to trim back those branches but if all channels that are HD feeds are now coming in without any problem apart from the one or two channels as mentioned could it maybe be that the LBN needs replacing? The HD feed that experiences the 771 error code the is 360 however there are times when there is no issue and the chnnel comes in fine.  The only issue with channel 360 is picture pixaltion more than the 771 error code

Message 10 of 15
ACE - Expert

Your 101 signals are very low, with the exception of a few spotbeams directed at other cities (they will be low or zero) all your 101 signals should be in the high 90s or even 100.

All the active transponders on 99ca, 99cb, 103ca and 103cb should be in the high 80s to mid 90s. Don't worry about 99s and 103s.

It looks like your dish is way out of alignment, I suggest you get DirecTv in to realign your dish. $50 for the service call, free if you have the protection plan.

Message 11 of 15
Teacher

Hello,  ok I will give DTV a call I asked the tech who came in July/August of last year about dish realignment he is it couldn't be done as there was nowhere else to point the dish without the dish being somewhere else. 

Message 12 of 15
ACE - Expert

Unless there are trees in the way the dish only needs a degree or so to be realigned.

Message 13 of 15
Contributor

We are not experiencing any bad weather here, had some high winds about 2 weeks ago, but not last week when all my problems started. I have reset my receiver twice now, and now I still cant watch any television. I am hoping to get some kind of help with this. 

Message 14 of 15
ACE - Expert

If you are getting 771 messages that indicates your system is not getting satellite signals. Although there are several things that can cause this, most likely is that your dish has become misaligned. If you give us your signal strength readings (yes, all of them!) we can probably tell you where the problem is.

Please post back with your signal readings for each satellite's transponders (and both tuners if applicable).  You'll find these readings under "Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength".  Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners.

Fill in your readings for each satellite and tuner using these examples.  A properly aligned dish will show 80-100 on most of the relevant transponders (although some will be low or zero):

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)

[Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]

1-8    x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

9-16   x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

17-24  x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

25-32  x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

Satellite transponders (3 total at 110º)

[You won’t see this satellite if you have a  Slimline3 dish. No channels are currently beamed from this satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x

9-16   NA  x   NA  x   NA  NA  NA  NA

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)

[You won’t see this satellite if you have a Slimline 3 dish. Local SD channels for some cities, Spanish package]

17-24  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x   x   x

25-32  x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

Satellite transponders (16 total at 99º(s))

[Local HD channels for some cities]

1-8    x   x   x   x   x   x   NA  NA

9-16   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x   x

[Note: these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99ºca

[National HD channels]

9-16   NA   NA   x   NA   x   x   x  x

17-24  x   x   x   x   x  NA x  NA

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99ºcb)

[National HD channels]

9-16   x   x   x   x   x   x   NA  NA

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(s))

[Local HD channels for some cities]

1-8    x   x   x   x   x   x   NA  NA

9-16   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x   x

[Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(ca))

[National HD channels beamed from D12 satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

9-16   x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(cb))

[National HD channels beamed from D10 satellite]

9-16   x   x   x   x   x   x   NA  NA

17-24  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

Message 15 of 15
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support