Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Error Code 771 on Mostly HD Channels

Highlighted
Tutor

Error Code 771 on Mostly HD Channels

I would like some guidance on how to resolve Error Code 771. This dish (SL3 LNB) was installed on a pole alongside the house last December. No extended problems until a few days ago.  It is very possible that the lawncare people bumped the pole.  The main receiver and the genies have same signal loss messages on mostly HD channels. 

I have the current signal strength test results:

Satellite Transponders - 32 total at 101

1-8     71  76  69  0   70  79  70  80

9-16   72  78  69  77  72  80  69  80

17-24  72   0   69  87  72  79  71  79

25-32  72   73  70  98  72  81  72  81

Satellite Transponders - 16 total at 99 (ca))

1-8   n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a

9-16  18  26  21  27  19  30  18  31

17-24  20 34 20 34 20 36 17 33 0 33

25- 32  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a

Satellite Transponders - 14 total at 99 (cb))

1-8 33 37 32 41 28 34 31 40

9-16 26 37 27 40 34 36 n/a  n/a

17-24 n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a

25-32 n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a

Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 14
ACE - Expert

Re: Error Code 771 on Mostly HD Channels

You dish alignment is off.  Call DirecTV for a service visit .... 1 800 531 5000

Of, if you want to tweak it yourself, check out this video ....

https://youtu.be/QA1krU8eo8E

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 14
Tutor

litzdog911,

Thanks for your reply. I just saw your excellent video earlier today - gotta love the internet!  I will watch again and take notes.

I want to fine tune myself but I am not sure which bolts to loosen and whether I tune the azimuth or elevation first.  I have my azimuth, elevation and tilt data from the receiver. 

The mast is level in both directions. I beleive our lawn service people may have bumped the steel pole.

I understand that I should not adjust the fine tune dials unless the correct bolts are loosened. 

I have printed the installation manual for the Slimline 3 to get a better idea of what bolts do what.

i wonder if I should purchase a racheting tool that will make the job easier for someone like me with less upper arm strength? 

Thanks

Message 3 of 14
ACE - Expert

@KrissyDee, is the mast still perfectly plumb?  If they actually bumped the mast/pole out-of-plumb, you should fix that first.  Then you can dither the azimuth and elevation fine-tuning adjustments.  Just loosen the bolts referenced in the video very slightly so that that the dither adjustments won't bind.  You're readings are pretty close, so it won't take much adjustment.  You want to get those 99 and 103° satellites mostly in the high 80-90s.  Good luck. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 14
Tutor

Hello litzdog911,

Yes, the mast is perfectly plumb in both directions

I have reviewed your video several times and have a few questions about which bolts have to be loosened since I am just tweaking and not setting up from scratch. I am trying to be as deliberate as possible so I can complete this successfully.

Do these 3 bolts (A) have to be loosened to perform the adjustments for either the azimuth or elevation tweaking or do I leave those three bolts alone?

To tweak the elevation settings -is it correct that only the elevation bolts (B) (one side at a time) have to be slightly loosened? 

When I first inspected the satellite dish after receiving the 771 error code, I noticed that this bolt (C) was barely hand tight. What is this bolt for and could this be the culprit that allowed the misalignment? All of the other bolts are very tight. I am not certain but I believe our lawn service people bumped the steel pole. 

Not sure why but my elevation marker does not have a red bar indicator. Before I make any adjustments - I will mark the current settings with pencil marks. 

Thanks very much. 

87A3BDF6-945D-4DC6-A8C6-6C6D2386E8F6.jpeg

Message 5 of 14
ACE - Expert

Do NOT loosen bolts (A).

Only slightly loosen (B) and (C) so you can adjust the "dither" bolts (attached to the dials).

Bolt (C) secures the azimuth adjustment, while bold (B) secures the elevation adjustment.  

Message 6 of 14
Tutor

Excellent! I thought that was the way to move forward and you have confirmed that for me. Thanks very much. 

Message 7 of 14
ACE - Master

also check the coax at the bottom of the pole,  it could have been damaged during lawn care

or where the coax comes into the house (mine was cut once by a lawn guy)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 8 of 14
Tutor

Jim, 

I am a bit nervous but determined to succeed with ypur help.  

I screwed up and dithered my way out of any signals!

But I tightened the bolt at the top and dithered the elevation fine tuning to get the 101 satellite in the 90s. 

I loosened Bolt C slightly and loosened both B bolts to dither the fine tune and now am getting high 90s on Satellite 101. 

Now I am not sure how to optimize the signals for the other satellites without relaliging satellite 101. 

This is the piece I am missing.  I will watch your video again to see if I can figure it out. 

Thanks again.

Message 9 of 14
Tutor

Thanks mdram 4x4. The cable is tight and intact. I have sat 101 on 90s. I just need to figure out out to adjust the Other satellites without readjusting 101. I am missing that understanding. 

Thanks

Message 10 of 14
Tutor

I loosened both B bolts and Bolt C slighlty and adjust the fine tune adjustment dial on the left side (standing behind the satellite).  

The signals on satellite are now in the high 90s! I don’t want to screw up the progress I have made. How do I adjust the other fine tune dial to improve sat 99 and sat 103. Do I tighten both B bolts and then only loosen bolt C slightly to adjust the fine tune dial on the right side (facing the back of the satellite dish)?

Current signal readings

Satellite Transponders - 32 total at 101

1-8       91  88  91 0   92  93  92 94

9-16     93  92  89  87  93 94 90 94

17-24   93  0   92 95 94 95 94 94

25-32   95 86 92 100 94 94 95 95

Satellite Transponders - 16 total at 99 (ca))

1-8         n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a

9-16       70 69 72 71 70 71 67 69

17-24     67 72 71 70 71 67 69

25- 32    n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a

Satellite Transponders - 14 total at 99 (cb))

1-8       66 65 66 71 64 63 67 70

9-16     65 67 68 70 71 64  n/a  n/a

17-24   n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a

25-32   n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a  n/a

Message 11 of 14
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by KrissyDee
‎09-24-2018 12:27 PM

@KrissyDee wrote:

I loosened both B bolts and Bolt C slighlty and adjust the fine tune adjustment dial on the left side (standing behind the satellite).  

The signals on satellite are now in the high 90s! I don’t want to screw up the progress I have made. How do I adjust the other fine tune dial to improve sat 99 and sat 103. Do I tighten both B bolts and then only loosen bolt C slightly to adjust the fine tune dial on the right side (facing the back of the satellite dish)?

Once you get the 101º satellite readings up in the 90's, your done worrying about that satellite.  That's when you use the dither adjustments to peak 99 and 103º satellite readings up into the high 80-90s.   Review that portion of the video again. 

Of course, if it's just not working for you, or you think it could be tweaked even better, you can call for a service tech visit. 

Tags (1)
Message 12 of 14
Tutor

Jim,

I reviewed the video to break down the steps in order to fine tune the signals properly. I am getting signals in the 90s on satellite 101 but 60s and 70s on satellites 99 and 103 with intermittent signal loss. I would be very appreciative if you would answer three questions below. (I can’t see exactly which bolts are involved on the right side of the setup.

You rotated the dish from side to side until you found a signal in the 85 range. I know you secured bolts on the mast but I want to make sure I understand - (Q 1) Which bolts have to be loosened in order for the dish to move freely from side to side?

———

Procedure to fine tune Satellite 99 (dial on the left)

1) Tigthen inside bolt (A in attached photo)

2) Slightly loosen left elevation bolt. (B)

3) Dither left dial to peak signal.  (C)

(Q2) Is this the correct way to peak the left dial?

——-

Procedure to fine tune Satrelite 103

1) Loosen right elevation bolt slightly. 

2) Dither right dial to peak signal. 

(Q3) Is there another bolt that has to be tightened or loosened to peak the right dial? 

Thanks again Jim. 

C0D5E8DD-2E36-425E-AA22-924476F19DC9.jpegLeft Dial Peak Procedure

Message 13 of 14
ACE - Expert

@KrissyDee, you don't align for 99 and 103º separately.  Tweaking the two dither dial adjustments optimizes for both.  

But you the basic procedure correct ...

Be sure the bolt anchoring the dither dial is tight.

Slightly loosen the bolt that the dither dial will adjust (for example, bolt (b) in your photo)

Tweak the dither dial left and right a few turns while viewing the signal level display until it's at a maximum.  

Tighten the bolt anchoring that dither dial.

Repeat for the other dither dial.  

Good luck. 

Message 14 of 14
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support