Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Equipment update by April 2019

Teacher

Equipment update by April 2019

We have been told that our old equipment will not work anymore when April comes and we will get a free upgrade. We do not have HD at this point. I can't use wireless devices because of my sensitivities. Our internet is wired to our computers and we use no wifi.  We do use remotes for our two tvs though. Our bedroom Directv receiver is wired into the wall. I heard that Directv wants to replace our present equipment with a genie? Is there an option to that? We still want two receivers, both hard wired. Thank you. 

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 23

Re: Equipment update by April 2019

Oh Motion not required for us typical RVers.  But still, I don't fully understand why the SD market is being abandoned. Satellite retirement? I will not miss MPEG-2, but question still remains....why not a HD static dish (ground positioned and manually aimed) smaller than the SL3LNB?  Also, question not answered....is the 101 retired; thus only two sats to capture?

Message 16 of 23
ACE - Expert

The SD birds have been in orbit since the early 90s I believe they are at or near their end of life others say no.  I don't think they can make a stationary dish any smaller or they would have done it. We don't know if the 101 will go dark or what.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 23
ACE - Expert

No, 101 won't go Dark. DirecTV has been moving satellites around for several months,. In particular the D15 satellite has been moved to 101 and is already delivering many channels from there. What will happen is that DirectV will stop delvering MPEG-2 signals (for all intents and purposes that means all SD channels) so you will need an MPEG-4 receiver to receive them (and that means an HD receiver/DVR, or the R22). 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 23
Contributor

Thank you for all the input.  The rumors are that all "SD" is dead in April.  I am not a techie and need some practical advice.  We live in a  motor home with a group of 50 or so other retirees.  We live in Southern Arizona just off the Mexican border.  Currently, most of us have DirecTv subscriptions based in Tucson, so we can get local stations.  We all have R22-100 DirecTV+ receivers with a roundish dish that is about 18-20" in diameter.  Are one or both going to be obsolete?  Do I have to change anything to continue getting service?

Message 19 of 23
ACE - Expert

@penndutch wrote:

Thank you for all the input.  The rumors are that all "SD" is dead in April.  I am not a techie and need some practical advice.  We live in a  motor home with a group of 50 or so other retirees.  We live in Southern Arizona just off the Mexican border.  Currently, most of us have DirecTv subscriptions based in Tucson, so we can get local stations.  We all have R22-100 DirecTV+ receivers with a roundish dish that is about 18-20" in diameter.  Are one or both going to be obsolete?  Do I have to change anything to continue getting service?

Not SD that will be dead. Just the MPEG-2 feed that only carries SD. MPEG-4 will be the requirement which handles both SD and HD. Though honestly don't know how long SD channels will exist as non-HD TVs haven't been made in many years.

Good news, you have the special model. The R22 is the only box not labeled as HD, that is MPEG-4. It is able to handle HD, provided you have one normal HD box on the account with HD service. This box was made where some areas dropped MPEG-2 broadcasts years ago. So this box can still work after the MPEG-2 shutdown.

The old round dish however will need to be replaced with a new slimline dish to support MPEG-4.

If everybody has R22s and no other model, that is very surprising but very lucky. So assuming your motor home is set for a permanent residential location, as opposed to a mobile RV account, then just call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 and request your complimentary MPEG swap of the receiving dish and get the appointment scheduled.

Message 20 of 23
Contributor

Thank you, soooo much!  We have all been running in scared mode that we have to buy all new equipment including receivers.  So, to recap, we have to get the new slimline dish.  Any change in cabling required?  Our daughter's home in Tucson (the basis of our account), I believe has an HD receiver for her use.

Therefore, with her HD service our receiver with a new slimline dish will continue to work?

Message 21 of 23
ACE - Expert

@penndutch

Depends on each individual setup if any cabling updates are needed. But definitely the dish must be swapped out. This should all be covered by the complimentary MPEG swap. Be aware many agents will offer an upgrade to a Genie, or the not recommended Genie-2 (HS17) where you will get HD service. The upgrade is optional. If you choose the upgrade, do not replace the R22s with Mini Genie Clients as they do work with the main Genie.

If your daughter has an HD box that would be MPEG-4 so her setup should be fine. Would need to know the model numbers of all boxes she has to be sure.

Message 22 of 23
ACE - Expert

Just note that by having systems on one subscription being used in both Tucson and your RV you are breaking DirecTV's terms of service, in fact this is a form of theft. 

Message 23 of 23
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support