Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Equipment update by April 2019

Teacher

Equipment update by April 2019

We have been told that our old equipment will not work anymore when April comes and we will get a free upgrade. We do not have HD at this point. I can't use wireless devices because of my sensitivities. Our internet is wired to our computers and we use no wifi.  We do use remotes for our two tvs though. Our bedroom Directv receiver is wired into the wall. I heard that Directv wants to replace our present equipment with a genie? Is there an option to that? We still want two receivers, both hard wired. Thank you. 

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 23
ACE - Expert

Re: Equipment update by April 2019

You should be able to get a Genie DVR with wired (not wireless) Genie Mini Clients.  And, if you want internet access for OnDemand shows & movies, you can connect the Genie DVR to your home's ethernet cable rather than WiFi.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 23
ACE - Expert

That are doing a MPEG swap, which is different from an upgrade, for affected customers.

What are the models of each box you have now? Are you wanting to upgrade to get HD or just using the swap to keep getting the SD only channels after the older MPEG-2 feed shuts down?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 23
Teacher

"That are doing a MPEG swap, which is different from an upgrade, for affected customers."

What are the models of each box you have now? Are you wanting to upgrade to get HD or just using the swap to keep getting the SD only channels after the older MPEG-2 feed shuts down?"

Oh wow. What is a MPEG? We don't want HD, just keep the old SD only channels. Our two receivers are D12-100's. I think they are original receivers from long long ago. This sounds promising. We really don't want a genie of any kind, we want to keep it simple. Thank you SO much!

Message 4 of 23
Teacher

"You should be able to get a Genie DVR with wired (not wireless) Genie Mini Clients.  And, if you want internet access for OnDemand shows & movies, you can connect the Genie DVR to your home's ethernet cable rather than WiFi.  "

Thank you. That is a possibility but we want to keep the SD channels and make it simple. 

Message 5 of 23
ACE - Expert

You may want to consider getting H25 receivers, they are the HD version of the D12.

Message 6 of 23
Teacher

Is there a way to not have to have HD? We want to keep SD. Thanks! 

Message 7 of 23
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎11-13-2018 4:13 PM

@ourdiane wrote:

Is there a way to not have to have HD? We want to keep SD. Thanks! 

No.  Standard Definition television is pretty much dead as of April 2019.  Fortunately the newer DirecTV HiDef equipment will work just fine with your old SD TVs if you don't want to upgrade to HDTVs.  

Tags (1)
Message 8 of 23
Teacher

"No.  Standard Definition television is pretty much dead as of April 2019.  Fortunately the newer DirecTV HiDef equipment will work just fine with your old SD TVs if you don't want to upgrade to HDTVs."

Thank you.

Message 9 of 23
ACE - Expert

So far they have put out that the MPEG-2 feeds are shutting down, not the SD channels themselves. MPEG-4 carries both SD and HD. MPEG is just a way to encode and compress a video image. MPEG-2 can only handle SD, but MPEG-4 handles both SD and HD.

A MPEG swap should replace D12s with H25s (including any cabling/dish as necessary) and have HD service suppressed unless you choose to upgrade to HD. My area has been without MPEG-2 for years as it was one of the first ones upgraded. This, including if having any technical issues, is why all HD boxes can switch their display preferences between "Hide SD Duplicates", 
Hide HD Channels", and even "Show All Channels".

SD only service was grandfathered. But as SD only TVs have not been made in many years, it can be reasonably expected that it may not be that far off having to get HD service anyway.

Message 10 of 23
Teacher

Thank you very much,  Juniper. I have saved this information for when they contact us! 

Message 11 of 23

Renewing this question, I still don't fully understand the equipment differences after Apr 2019. Our home is loaded with legacy receivers (no genies) and we often take a small SD dish and D12 for RVing when tight tree cover.  We also camp with the H24 and larger 3LNB dish sometimes too.  So I'm now understanding that the 18-round dish and the D12 will be obsoleted.  I had also heard the 101 sat was retiring along with all MPEG-2.

What dish do we use remotely after Apr?  Does DTV plan a smaller dish with brand new LNB config?  

Confused....

warcloudwells

Message 12 of 23
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

@warcloudwells

The old SD round dish and D12 will be unusable as they are MPEG-2 only.

H24 is MPEG-4 so will still be usable, as long as you have the newer receiving dish setup.

Any model Hxx or HRxx will be usable. Models Dxx and Rxx will not as these are now legacy receivers (including very legacy 3rd party boxes by Phillips, Hughes, etc.)

Note: R22 is a MPEG-4 receiver, though labeled as a SD DVR. Special model as some areas did this swap years ago. So R22 would still work.

Message 13 of 23

Thanks for reply.  Now understand old round dishes are junk, and D12 receiver is out of service after Apr 2019.  OK. Will Direct replace my D12 with something? 

Is the SL3 LNB (large and clunky, but I know how to point it) the only usable dish going forward?  Lets get Direct to produce a nice compact portable HD dish....like their competitors have had for years.  That action would retain customers.  Most RVers I know switched to the other guys long ago, and do not use roof-mounted units.

Thanks

Message 14 of 23
ACE - Expert

DTV doesn't make the dishes.  The mobile dish makers are the ones that have to come out with it but there may not be a market for it as the only in motion HD dish out now costs $8,000 made for boats.

Message 15 of 23
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support