Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DIRECTV On Demand is not working

Contributor

DIRECTV On Demand is not working

For 2 days “nothing available at this time check back later” this is for every on demand option this happens often and when it is working it will periodically just stop this is unacceptable you offer a service and advertise it but cannot provide it. I have reset my router twice and it has not solved the issue. This is longest it’s consistently not worked 

Message 1 of 118

Re: On demand not working

Yes, they are sending a new one without any charges.

Message 106 of 118
Tutor

I had the same problem and makes-no-sense reply from techs. Did you try
resetting or refreshing your ISP modem? Not your DTV Genie or router, but
your internet modem. They had finally sent me a new 4k Genie receiver but
after connecting it was still saying that my connection was too slow
despite speed tests showing different. While at work that day I thought
about it and decided that maybe sending my Cox cable internet modem a
refresh would help..couldn't hurt anyhow. Got home and lo and behold it was
working. 3 months of frustration finally ended.
Good luck and don't expect any in depth help from Tech Suppor and DO NOT
spend $$ on having them come out. Waste of time and money.
Hardwire it if you can, reset your ISP modem, reset your router, reset your
Genie. I that doesn't work the make them send you a replacement, install it
yourself..it's not hard to do...and repeat the resets again.
The FedEx I went to when returning my old receiver had an entire wall lined
up with boxes of Genie receivers destined for return to DTV. Unhappy
customers jumping ship along with crappy units that were replaced I'm sure.
Message 107 of 118
Teacher

We have similar shared experiences with these guys, but my Router and Modem are in the same box and I reset it many times before finally replacing Genie.
On your problem, Tech support should have had the ability to log on to your genie and determine if the router or modem was at fault. They just don't know how to do it. The modem should not have been the issue as its only function is to take cable or DSL signaling and create a digital interface to your router. I think it was a coincidence or the 24 hours took 48 hours.
Message 108 of 118
Contributor

I’ve done this twice now same results. Doesn’t work. I’ve had dtv now for a week and am thoroughly disappointed in att that uverse wouldn’t give me deal and forced me onto this..  uverse on demand was great just like the apps and even WatchTV .  Why can I pull up a STARZ app and immediately get on demand but my dtv can’t seem to do that?   Amazingly bad. False advertising to say the least. On demand doesn’t work. Start from beginning doesn’t work. Basically I’m getting a tv tuner and dvr.    Thanks. 

Message 109 of 118
Teacher

As you can see from the forum you are not alone. There are probably many more suffering that do not know how to use the forum. It took AT&T/DTV over 5 weeks and about 15 phones before I had a new box and my problem was resolved. Before calling again I would suggest the following as they will use delay tactics over and over again.

1. Make sure you have an internet connection to your Genie Server. Without an Internet connection, all you have is a cable box and DVR. This can be easily done by checking to see if the DTV Apps are working.
* Turn tv and mini box on and select any station.
* While viewing tv press the right arrow button on the remote control.
* Step 1of 3 Will check the server for a good connection. It may take a few seconds to give you any feedback, if the Internet connection is bad it will you.
* If it is good on the right side of the screen you should see 5 DIRECTV graphics. Select an applications and it should work. (The Weather Channel is slow). Success means you genie is connected to the Internet.
2. The next step is to have the Genie Server Download the lists of on-demand programming and populate your guide. That takes 24 to 36 hours minimum.
* Hit the red button on Genie Server. It will take 5 to 6 minutes for programming to come back on. You must hit the red button again within 5 minutes of the return of programming for the download to begin. It will take another 5 to 6 minutes for programming to come back on. Now you wait 24 hours to see if it worked or not. It never did for me or most others, but you have to try.
* You should now see at least a list of on-demand programming for each station you have access to. If you get messages indicating thinks not available or filter messages, call tech support at 800-331-0500.
* Only respond by repeating On-Demand does not work and eventually, you will get a human being. Politely request a North American Tech as the lower levels are useless. In your case, it appears that it was never properly installed and you must demand an on-site tech to properly install. They most likely will have you try a "ClearMyBox" command and wait another 24 hours before taking any action.
They never came to my house and copped saying it was an IT department problem, but after 15 calls they finally sent me a new Genie Server and it worked.

Good Luck.
Message 110 of 118
Tutor

I had this same problem for over 3 months.
My OnDemand and Program Restart feature stopped working and resets on my 4k
Genie did nothing. The techs, most of whom were very nice, were useless.
They finally sent me a new reciever, but it was still not working--said my
speed was too slow. I had ethernet connection and no issues with speed
elsewhere. Here's what ultimately solved the problem: reset or refresh your
internet provider modem. Not the DirecTV modem or your wireless router,
your actual cable or dsl modem.
I have cable internet and never had to reset before, but that was the
problem...which no tech EVER mentioned to try.
Try that 1st and if it doesn't work then make them send you a new reciever.
Apparently they are unreliable to say the least. The FedEx I returned mine
at had an entire wall full of them going back to AT&T.
Good luck and I hope this helps point you to a solution to your problem.
Message 111 of 118
Contributor

I went to bed last night around midnight and was watching on demand just (U Verse) before I went to sleep. Woke up at 630am and it says not available. I haven't tried anything bc it doesn't seem like I should. There haven't been any issues with streaming or wifi on phones, I'm not aware of any connection loss. The only thing I can think of is that my payment is late. Do you think that AT&T would shut off their on demand service until receiving their payment. I am a week late sending the payment which is just for one month, nothing extreme. Regardless of the issue, it seems to be one that happens regularly. FYI, I have fiber optic. It's new in my area, could this be the issue? I'd think the entir service would be out, not just one service. It seems as though this would be something that AT&T would have to shut off on their end. 

Message 112 of 118
Contributor

I just accidentally unplugged the power to my box and after it came back on, the on demand service was working again. . 

Message 113 of 118

I have been having the same issue for at least a month now. They sent a tech who wasn’t able to fix it. They ran some type of test and said it was my internet provider blocking ports that directv uses to stream. They suggested I switch internet companies. I did, and nothing! It still doesn’t work. Wondering if you ever got it resolved, and if so, how.

Message 114 of 118
Tutor

Hi. Yes I did, no thanks to AT&T. After getting a new receiver and it still
not working, I thought about it a bit and looked at my internet provider
modem. I did a refresh on both my ISP modem and my wireless router and that
fixed the problem after 3 months of back and forth with AT&T tech. They're
useless when it comes to DirecTV issues.
So I suggest that first reset/refresh your internet modem. Then, if you're
using wireless, your wireless router. If that doesn't work tell them to
send you a replacement receiver or you're going to drop your service. Don't
let them talk you into paying for tech visit, it won't help.
Get the new receiver and then repeat the above refresh on ISP modem,
wireless receiver if it doesn't work after install.

Good luck.
Message 115 of 118
Teacher

I had the identical frustrating experience with AT&T on this issue which took almost 3 months to resolve.  This included the need to clear out ISP devices after installing the new receiver, although I had tried resetting everything several times before receiving a new receiver.  I think the resetting of things causes a re-learning of the devices to better communicate with each other.  It has been working perfectly for several months now.  Don't be shy about requesting help if it does not work and remember it does take 24 hours for a complete download of schedules, on-demand, and guide data.

BUT do not let AT&T put you through the same experience that Dred54 and I had. Several techs claimed that on-demand is a courtesy that AT&T allows us to use for free without any revenue to AT&T which is nonsense.  Try to reference these emails and demand replacement of the receiver and refuse to pay anything extra.   

Be warned that when you change out the receiver you lose ALL recorded shows, recording schedules, favorites, and other personal settings.  I suggest recording shows to a PC and do screenshots of other settings before replacement.

Message 116 of 118
Teacher

They pulled the tops a dope move on you! I could’ve told you that it is the internet provider. AT&T! Ever since AT&T bought Direct TV, Direct TV went down the crapper. Now AT&T has probably pulled you into a contract and your stuck. All I can say is good luck for the next two years. I ended up buying an Android box and watch anything I want off of it. From what I can tell it has worked in the sense that I can see the programming for it, and have been able to watch things somewhat. I was getting a good bit of buffering still that shows the Latency issues are stuff crap. If it wasn’t for my wife not being able to go without Direct TV I would cancel all my services with them. The thing is, is they have petty much monopolized the market in my area and if you want fiber optic speeds you have them or Comcast. I wish I could just start my own service! Good luck, and welcome to the losers club! Lol!
Message 117 of 118

Thank you for the information! Directv sent me a new receiver. I set it up and rest my modem and everything seems to be working now.
Message 118 of 118
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support