Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Crackling on every station

Tutor

Crackling on every station

There is a crackling/popping noise coming out of the speakers whenever we are watching Directv. If we are watching something through our Smart TV (Netflix, or Amazon), or on the xbox360, or wii, there is no extra noise (crackling/popping), so I know its not the speakers. I have tightened all of the connections from directv to the tv to the wall. I have checked everything and nothing seems to make it better. It has gotten worse over the last month, started out as just a little background noise and now its almost unbearable to watch anything. I don't have the time to call in and wait on hold, and the chat is never working, so I'm hoping this will be the next best way to get my issue addressed!

Message 1 of 29
Teacher

Re: Crackling on every station

​Hello Litzdog911. The receiver is HR54-500, It is connected directly to
the TV via HDMI. The problem started a couple of months ago, but it only
made the noise when we would pause a recording for a few minutes, now it
just does it at random. I ensured everything was plugged in tightly and
nothing has changed other than we also noticed the playlist has recordings
disappear and reappear randomly as well. We had a tech out and they were
going to change out the receiver, but said it was a DIRECTV known software
bug on the playlist.
Thanks, ​
Message 16 of 29
Teacher

​Whoops, also the popping and playlist remedies itself for awhile if I push
the red button and wait for the reboot.​
Message 17 of 29
Teacher

I did try the dolby Digital to no avail, but I have an extra HDMI I will try.  I will let you know shortly if that works.

Message 18 of 29
ACE - Expert

@jrpotts wrote:
​Hello Litzdog911. The receiver is HR54-500, It is connected directly to
the TV via HDMI. The problem started a couple of months ago, but it only
made the noise when we would pause a recording for a few minutes, now it
just does it at random. I ensured everything was plugged in tightly and
nothing has changed other than we also noticed the playlist has recordings
disappear and reappear randomly as well. We had a tech out and they were
going to change out the receiver, but said it was a DIRECTV known software
bug on the playlist.
Thanks, ​

It's not a known issue.  I trust you've tried different TV input connections?  My money is on a defective Genie.  

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 29
Teacher

The HDMI seems to be doing the trick since yesterday.  The popping and crackling has stopped...  I am confused as the HDMI seems to work on other equipment...  Anyway, I am good for now until they fix the playlist issue.  

Thanks for all the input.

Message 20 of 29
Teacher

There’s a fix for it now 

go to menu , search now smart search type in clearmybox with no spaces and search by keyword and it will reset it within a few seconds and it won’t lose any of your titles but fix the list issue 

Message 21 of 29
Contributor

I tried everything from swapping HDMI cables to changing Dolby settings, but when I replaced the HDMI cable with a high quality cable, that fixed it.  Go figure!

Good luck out there.

Message 22 of 29
Teacher

Yes it fixed it because of the bad connections that $4 HDMI’s can develop inside the connection port. The cheap aluminum like metal stretches and doesn’t stay sprung. And it allows interference. Just like using cheap RCA cables on an amp. 

Message 23 of 29
Teacher

JRPOTTS it probably works on other equipment because that equipment uses a different software for its audio it’s not as sensitive as the dvr is. 

Message 24 of 29
Teacher

My TV also stopped making the noise after changing the cable, but I still
here it popping when freezing a recording. Also the playlist is still
having programs disappear until you actually reboot the system.
Message 25 of 29
Teacher

Nope, we still have the issue. AT&T service is terrible. Can't even fix a
'refresh' issue.
Message 26 of 29
Contributor

We’ve had DirecTV for 6 days now and it has been one problem after another.  We haven’t had a single day out of the six that the system has functioned properly.  The latest is the crackling sound that’s making it impossible to enjoy TV.  We’ve tried rebooting the mini genie receiver, resetting the mini genie receiver, and changing the digital audio settings with no joy on any of them.  Swapping out the HDMI cable has reduced the crackling but not eliminated it and I expect it’ll gradually get worse again.  I switched to DirecTV because I hated Frontier FiOS and their pathetic excuse for customer service, but at least the TV service worked decently.  I don’t know how DirecTV still has any customers at all with service this crappy.

Message 27 of 29
Teacher

*U*nfortunately you have described the problem well, but there has been no
fix since about May. I agree that they just do not care.
Message 28 of 29
Tutor

We have 2 receivers and they either pop intermittently or the sound stops all together  Pausing the program for a second usually fixes the problem but this is getting so annoying. Seems to happen most on MSNBC or sport channel 696. Anyone else experiencing this? 

Message 29 of 29
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support