Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Crackling on every station

Tutor

Crackling on every station

There is a crackling/popping noise coming out of the speakers whenever we are watching Directv. If we are watching something through our Smart TV (Netflix, or Amazon), or on the xbox360, or wii, there is no extra noise (crackling/popping), so I know its not the speakers. I have tightened all of the connections from directv to the tv to the wall. I have checked everything and nothing seems to make it better. It has gotten worse over the last month, started out as just a little background noise and now its almost unbearable to watch anything. I don't have the time to call in and wait on hold, and the chat is never working, so I'm hoping this will be the next best way to get my issue addressed!

Message 1 of 29
ACE - Expert

Re: Crackling on every station

What DVR/Receiver model do you have?

How exactly is it connected to your TV?  Soundbar?  AV Receiver?

What channels?

When did the problem start?

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 29
Tutor

I have a Genie Gen 2.

Connected through an HDMI.

I do have a sound bar hooked up to my tv and the speakers on my tv off. I have tried without the sound bar and just the tv speakers and the same thing. It doesn't have noise when using the 360, or other devices, only with direct.

It is every channel, doesn't matter, seems to be worse on local channels (6-abc, 4-fox, 8-nbc 2-cbs).

Started about a month ago and its seems like its gotten worse.

Message 3 of 29
Tutor

model: HR44-500

Message 4 of 29
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by 32to35
‎10-20-2017 7:31 AM

Have you tried a different HDMI cable?  

Also try changing the "Dolby Digital" setting in the HR44's Audio Setup menu. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 5 of 29
Tutor

Thank you for your help. This seems to have worked. It wasn't on Dolby, I don't think it ever has been, but it fixed it for now! Thank you!

Message 6 of 29
Tutor

Thank you for your help! I did change it to Dolby, I don't think it has ever been on dolby, but changing it to that has seemed to work, so thank you so much! Greatly appreciated!

Message 7 of 29
ACE - Expert

You're welcome!

Enjoy.

Message 8 of 29
Contributor

I have the same problem tried but methods it didn't work but I know the entire system has changed in the last few weeks in central Illinois.

Message 9 of 29
Teacher

The system here has changed too in Florida and I used to get the popping sound only when I paused it. Now I am getting it in the middle of tv shows you hear it over the shows audio. It does it on discovery and HBO and local Chanel’s are worse but it does it on all channels I have no sound bar or anything like that and I’m sick of it especially late at night when it’s quiet in here and it pops loud. Scares me everytime. I’m ready to just leave direct after 9 years 

Message 10 of 29
Teacher

Can anyone  tell me what it could be? 

Message 11 of 29
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

@Draginbyu wrote:

Can anyone  tell me what it could be? 

Did you try changing the Dolby Digital settings as described above?

Message 12 of 29
Teacher

I am having the same issue.  Seems to have gotten worse over time.  Other video ports are fine only the Directv one makes the noise.  I reset and it is good for about 1/2 hour then the popping and noise returns.  What is going on?

Message 13 of 29
Teacher

I tried te dolby change to no avail.

Message 14 of 29
ACE - Expert

@jrpotts wrote:

I am having the same issue.  Seems to have gotten worse over time.  Other video ports are fine only the Directv one makes the noise.  I reset and it is good for about 1/2 hour then the popping and noise returns.  What is going on?

DVR/Receiver model?

How is the DVR/Receiver's audio OUT connected to your TV? AV Receiver? Soundbar?

When did the problem start?

Message 15 of 29
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support