Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Channels removed from DIRECTV lineup (January 2017)

Scholar

Channels removed from DIRECTV lineup (January 2017)

I am done with Directv!!! I pay alot of money to have your service and you pull this crap!! I am tired of you putting the consumer in the middle of your fight with the local stations without any compensation for the days that we are without local channels.  Lucky that the Patriots are playing on another channel!!!  My New Years resolution is to DUMP Directv.

Message 108 of 2,068
Contributor

Re: When will we get the Fox station back on DirecTV?

We are too far from Spokane so an antennae won't work.  We called DirectTV and were told it is almost $300 for the NFL package if we want to watch the Seahawks.  We have been on hold for 45 minutes now and no answer/help.

Message 1306 of 2,068
ACE - Master

even if you got the nfl package, you would not get local games, if the local fox carried them

nfl blackout rules apply

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1307 of 2,068
Contributor

Right...so looks like we do not have an option with DirectTV

Message 1308 of 2,068
ACE - Expert

NFL Sunday Ticket only provides out of market games only. If you are in-market and the local affiliate has pulled the feed from DirecTV, the NFL Sunday Ticket will not get you the game as it does not change market rules (blackouts).

Unfortunately channel owners count on situations like this to use customers as leverage. The viewers only think about the programming that is now unavailable, not the increased rates to follow by demanding TV providers (DirecTV, Dish, Cox, Cableone, etc.) cave to the channel's demands quickly.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1309 of 2,068
Contributor

Well, we spent nearly 2 hours on the phone with DirecTV with no resolution of course. They suggested a TV antenna to receive the broadcast (we're too far away) and they want to send us some kind of "converter box" they call it, to decode local stations. I doubt it will work and don't want to mess with it. Meanwhile, before the football season starts, we will investigate other providers and be ready to cancel DirecTV if they don't solve the issue. Too bad we've been a customer for roughly 25 years.

Pleas note... the local Fox affiliate says on their web site that they HAVE authorized DirecTV to broadcast their signal during the time that their contract negotiations are underway... so, DirecTV HAS the ability to give us the Fox affiliate KAYU. VERY frustrating.... especially their customer "service".

Message 1310 of 2,068
ACE - Expert

The converter box is their Local Channel Connector (LCC). Though not available for national launch, they have been offering it free for those affected by negotiations. It allows you to receive the free over-the-air (OTA) broadcasts directly through the Genie. So you don't have to change inputs, can still record, and may pick up other channels in the area (such as "sub-channels") that DirecTV does not have. It does not increase the range at which you receive the signal, so though you might get other channels, the one local would still be too far away to reach.

The LCC might help. DirecTV may only provide you locals that are in your Designated Market Area (DMA) as regulated by the FCC. But if you are near the border of another market, perhaps you would pick up a FOX that is physically closer. So the LCC picks up what is in range over the airways, as by antenna there is no way to regulate what market you are in. Worth a shot for those that haven't tried a antenna yet.

I would check https://tvpromise.att.com/ as only the channel owner is allowed to turn on/off the feed as they own it. As you are an "Idaho Viewer" I'm guessing your local fox is owned by Northwest Broadcasting as they are one of the big known negotiations right now.

Message 1311 of 2,068
Contributor

Does this LCC have a physical antenna that must be extended somewhere? Not yet sure exactly where it will plug in. Thanks for the informative note!

Message 1312 of 2,068
ACE - Expert

It does come with its own indoor antenna, though appears you could theoretically replace that part with an antenna of your choice if you were to invest in a stronger one, or possibly have a well placed outside antenna. But I would try with the included one first for simplicity.

It is currently compatible with the 2nd and 3rd generation Genie (HR44 and HR54). Here is where you can get more info and a guide on it: https://support.directv.com/equipment/local-channel-connector-faq

Message 1313 of 2,068
ACE - Expert

So if Fox has authorized DTV to rebroadcast them, then why haven't they returned the feed? DTV has no problem sending the feed to you while they talk.

Message 1314 of 2,068
Contributor

We could not get any answer about that - I'm sure DTV wouldn't want to broadcast it at all, as it would remove any leverage they have with disgruntled customers hammering on the Fox affiliate to agree to terms with DTV.

Message 1315 of 2,068
ACE - Expert

@IdahoViewer wrote:

We could not get any answer about that - I'm sure DTV wouldn't want to broadcast it at all, as it would remove any leverage they have with disgruntled customers hammering on the Fox affiliate to agree to terms with DTV.

Or maybe it's the Fox station's strategy to get viewers to hammer DirecTV to agree to their station owner's terms?!?

It's their owner that pulled the signal, not DirecTV. Most providers are allowed to continue to deliver the channel while negotiations are underway.

Message 1316 of 2,068
ACE - Expert

When they supply the feed DTV has to send it up to the sats and down to you under the terms of the old contract that is still enforce.

Message 1317 of 2,068

Still can't get NBC

OK, you guys. I understand you are having negotiation problems with my local NBC provider, but three weeks is enough already. And, whenever I call Customer Service, they do not report an outage in my area. You know what they told me? To just be patient. No offer to give me access to NBC another way. I mean, I could do better with an analog TV and rabbit ears. I get the premier level of stations and cannot get a simple major network station. 457 channels and nothing on. This after over 15 years with AT&T. Great Customer Non-service.

Message 1318 of 2,068
ACE - Expert

Re: Still can't get NBC

@bjmcafee6460 wrote:

..., I could do better with an analog TV and rabbit ears. .....

That's your only way to receive that NBC station. DirecTV, and other providers, are not permitted (by the FCC) to deliver another NBC station when your local station decides to play contractual hardball and pull their signal while negotiating. 

Message 1319 of 2,068
Contributor

If we don't get it back before football season we  change carriers.  Please do something!!!!!

Mary Beth

Message 1320 of 2,068
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support