Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Channels removed from DIRECTV lineup (January 2017)

Scholar

Channels removed from DIRECTV lineup (January 2017)

I am done with Directv!!! I pay alot of money to have your service and you pull this crap!! I am tired of you putting the consumer in the middle of your fight with the local stations without any compensation for the days that we are without local channels.  Lucky that the Patriots are playing on another channel!!!  My New Years resolution is to DUMP Directv.

Message 108 of 2,199
ACE - Expert

Re: When will I get back my local Channel NBC

@MidwayUtah wrote:

Get NBC back on. I paid for this. Attorneys likely will pursue as you’re  taking money from people and not delivering the product. [Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Your local affiliate's agreement with DirecTV came up. During negotiations your local affiliate is keeping the channel off, as is their right, in an attempt to leverage more payment for their channel you can get free over the airways.

All TV providers have in their terms that channels/programming are subject to change at anytime, as they do not own the channels. There is nothing in their terms with us the customer on guaranteeing any specific channel for any length of time.

We go to a pay TV provider for the channels we cannot get free. You want your locals in while they are negotiating, or any other locals DirecTV does not carry (or cannot legally provide you where you live), then plug an antenna into your TV and get the free broadcast as normal. Yes this is an unfortunate situation, but DirecTV has done nothing wrong here. They cannot force the channel owner to deliver the feed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1246 of 2,199

Ha.  I recommend being a DirecTV customer waking up on Thanksgiving and expecting to watch the Macy's Day Parade only to find out your local channels no longer exist, and then having no answer when your kids start crying because they can't watch the parade.  DirecTV never told customers about losing NBC and other local channels.

Message 1247 of 2,199

DirecTV did everything wrong here.  Not letting customers know about the loss of local channels, particularly before Thanksgiving weekend is simply shameful and disgusting.

Message 1248 of 2,199

Hey, "Shannon" why didn't DirecTV bother to notify customers about this issue that impacted thousands of Thanksgivings?

Message 1249 of 2,199
ACE - Expert

TV provider starts negotiating with the channel before the current agreement ends.

Once the agreement ends, the channel owner can pull the feed without notice to the TV provider as they are out of agreement.

TV providers prefer the channel stays on while negotiating in good faith, but cannot force them to do so.

Most of the time these negotiations are completed behind the scene without us being aware as the channel stayed on. If the ones at the negotiating table were under the impression the channel would stay on while negotiating but the channel owner decided to just pull the plug for leverage (likely to catch customers by surprise as a leveraging tactic), how would that be DirecTV's fault?

This is why I suggest having a regular antenna as a backup. These channels get to use our airways for free. But TV providers have to pay them for the rebroadcast. Any increased cost gets at least part of it passed on to the customer. If DirecTV just gives in to the demands, guess who's bill is going to end up higher eventually? Us, the customer.

Why don't you complain to the local affiliate about them letting you know they were going to yank themselves away from you?

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1250 of 2,199

Juniper, that's ridiculous.  Under your logic, if my local supplier of propane or natural gas can no longer honor their agreement with me, I should complain to the party from whom they purchase the propane or natural gas.  That's just silly.  I have an agreement with DirecTV.  They failed to honor that agreement, let alone even notify us they couldn't honor that agreement, and ruined a major holiday.  I'm not a customer of the local channels.

Message 1251 of 2,199
ACE - Expert

The  KSL Utah outage has been going on for a month or more and you just noticed? Read you contract DTV and all other providers can change the channels and programs at any time.

Message 1252 of 2,199
ACE - Expert

There is nothing in the agreement that guarantees you get specific locals for any length of time. So no they did not fail to honor their agreement as much as you wish to say otherwise. DirecTV doesn't own the channels so in no way can they force them to stay on as much as you would like them to. Sure the channel could come back faster by DirecTV agreeing to the cost increase and raising bills, but I would prefer they don't do that as there has been enough cost increase over the years because of channels increasing their costs.

You are a customer of all channels you get. Some of the money paid goes to the costs of DirecTV's permission to have those channels. Just because you don't pay the locals directly, doesn't mean you are not a customer of them. If you buy a product in a store, you are still a customer of the manufacturer of the product even though you paid the store where you acquired it.

Message 1253 of 2,199
Contributor

I have family in several states that have DIRECTV, & all of them are receiving their NBC channel with no problems.

ONLY KSL in UTAH is having the problem of not broadcasting.

It's a relay station that's out and KSL doesn't care to fix it.

Has NOTHING TO DO WITH MORE MONEY, JUST LAZINESS! and KSL MORMON OWNERS I DON'T CARE ATTITUDE, and most the shows are against the GOPs.

I contacted the FCC.

Message 1254 of 2,199
ACE - Expert

Interesting. KSL in Utah has had negotiations going on with DirecTV for a while now, similar to what happened three years ago. Hadn't seen anything mentioned about there being a technical issue, just an agreement dispute that is going on for a while.

Message 1255 of 2,199
ACE - Expert

From www.directvpromise.com where you can check current negotiations:

"We want to get KSL back into your local lineup as soon as possible. The station’s owner, Bonneville International, is demanding a significant fee increase just to allow you to keep KSL the same as before. "...

So it is negotiations, not a technical issue.

Message 1256 of 2,199
Contributor

Re: DirectvPromise.com

Lost both CBS and FOX local Channels the 2 I watch the most for local news and weather.  I will be contacting the local station to.  If not resolved I will cancel my Direct TV and pay the penalty if I have too. 

Message 1257 of 2,199
Contributor

Re: My local channel missing

You can't get to directvpromise.com. We have lost our local CBS channel WWNY (zip code 136...).

This really stinks to lose our only local channel.  We live in a rural area and can not get any channels over the air....except Canadian channels.

Message 1258 of 2,199
ACE - Expert

@OldMama50 wrote:

You can't get to directvpromise.com. We have lost our local CBS channel WWNY (zip code 136...).

This really stinks to lose our only local channel.  We live in a rural area and can not get any channels over the air....except Canadian channels.

We can certainly go to www.directvpromise.com for more information. Don't know why it doesn't work for you. 

Here is the page specifically so you can look up if there are any channel negotiations for your locals: http://promise.directv.com/keeping-you-connected-to-your-local-stations/

Message 1259 of 2,199
Contributor

Thanks for the link that works! However, it says that "there are no local
issues", even though I can still not get the local CBS or FOX stations.
Message 1260 of 2,199
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support