Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Channels removed from DIRECTV lineup (January 2017)

Scholar

Channels removed from DIRECTV lineup (January 2017)

I am done with Directv!!! I pay alot of money to have your service and you pull this crap!! I am tired of you putting the consumer in the middle of your fight with the local stations without any compensation for the days that we are without local channels.  Lucky that the Patriots are playing on another channel!!!  My New Years resolution is to DUMP Directv.

Message 108 of 2,198
Teacher

Re: My local channel missing

Thanks

Message 15 of 2,198
Contributor

Is DirecTv really going to stop showing/airing channel 7 KIRO?

Is DirecTv really going to stop showing/airing channel 7 KIRO?  I hope this is not true as I like watching a number of shows and sports that are shown on channel 7.

Janet

Message 16 of 2,198
ACE - Expert

Re: Is DirecTv really going to stop showing/airing channel 7 KIRO?

This sort of thing happens all the time all over the country. It happens with cable tv too. The good news is Directv usually comes to an agreement without having to actually stop airing the channel. Whatever warning you are seeing from that channel is mostly a scare tactic. If anything, you should complain to the local channel as they are most likely asking Directv to pay more to rebroadcast the same thing they provide free over the air.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 2,198
ACE - Expert

It is the channels that removes their programs not DTV and as stated is the channels that usually want more money then the distributors like DTV want to pay.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 2,198
ACE - Expert

Here we go again!  Realize that these disputes eventually affect all service providers, not just DirecTV, so switching providers isn't the cure. It's station owner greed that's causing this, not DirecTV. Ask yourself why you should pay more to receive stations that broadcast over-the-air for free? And be sure to also lean on the local station to settle this dispute. Fortunately DirecTV has a good track record for resolving these disputes before the station is actually dropped.  I live in Seattle and fortunately have an AM21 + Off-Air Antenna, so the outage won't affect me, if it happens at all.

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 19 of 2,198
ACE - Expert

More info here ....

http://directvpromise.com

Message 20 of 2,198
ACE - Expert

Here's KIRO's side of the negotiation ....

http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/directv-frequently-asked-questions/479273348

Ask yourself what this means ....

DirecTV has refused to reach a fair, market-based deal to carry KIRO 7

Why should we have to pay anything for a broadcaster that gets free access to use our public airwaves?

Message 21 of 2,198
Contributor

Direct losing NBC?

I keep seeing that Direct is not going to renew the contract to show NBC starting Jan 1, 2017. Are there any updates on this?

Tags (1)
Message 22 of 2,198
ACE - Expert

Re: Direct losing NBC?

Where are you seeing this? Are you sure it's not just your local NBC affiliate? 

Message 23 of 2,198
ACE - Expert

Re: Direct losing NBC?

DirecTV and NBC are fine. As sandblaster mentions, this is probably a retransmission dispute between your local NBC affiliate station and DirecTV, nothing to do with NBC itself.

These retransmission fee disputes are unfortunately becoming more and more common as the local stations find that ad revenue is reducing and are desperate for any source of revenue. So they demand more money from DirecTV (or from Dish, or FIOS, or the local cable company), and DirecTV says no.

In most cases, these fee disputes get resolved pretty quickly.

Message 24 of 2,198
Contributor

LOSING CBS

I would be more than disappointed if my CBS affilitate Kiro 7 is not available.  This is the only local channel I watch consistently.  Please fix this asap.

Message 25 of 2,198
ACE - Expert

Re: LOSING CBS

Then tell the station(s) to stop asking for more money then DTV and the other rebroadcasters will pay. Why should you pay more for their free OTA broadcasts?

Message 26 of 2,198
Tutor

Same for me in Jacksonville, FL, but two stations, CBS and FOX.  Seriously considering canceling my service which comes on the heels of waiting 6 months for a Uverse refund (having to pay after getting DirectTV - STILL waiting) and the 4 months of constant phone calls to finally get the Uverse cancelled.  Talking myself into it with each keystroke...

Message 27 of 2,198
ACE - Expert

@carolev If you switch to any other cable/satellite tv provider, this will eventually happen with them too. The only way to avoid this is to switch to an over the air antenna. 

Message 28 of 2,198
Former Employee

Also, remember, Directv isn't dropping channels, the local channels are withdrawing the right for Directv to give them to you unless Directv gives the local channels more money.  The local channels are using their viewing audience as pawns against Directv for more money. 

Message 29 of 2,198
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support