Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Channels removed from DIRECTV lineup (January 2017)

Scholar

Channels removed from DIRECTV lineup (January 2017)

I am done with Directv!!! I pay alot of money to have your service and you pull this crap!! I am tired of you putting the consumer in the middle of your fight with the local stations without any compensation for the days that we are without local channels.  Lucky that the Patriots are playing on another channel!!!  My New Years resolution is to DUMP Directv.

Message 108 of 2,065
Contributor

Re: When will we get the Fox station back on DirecTV?

Rates have already gone up since AT&T took over Direct, then have the nerve to take Fox off. Thanks A lot, now we have to find another provider.

Message 1291 of 2,065
Highlighted
ACE - Master

what will you do when that provider loses a station?

its common place for stations to stop thier feed when they want more money

\happened last year almost 200 times

and will keep happening until customers back thier providers like directv, comcast, ect ect

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1292 of 2,065
ACE - Expert

Re: When will I get back my local Channel NBC

@BayouRidgeCom 

Since TV providers do not own the channels, they have in their terms that channels/programming are subject to change at any time. They cannot force the channel to provide the feed. This is a related customer problem. If TV provider caves in to the higher rates, then that much more is added when comes time for the next rate increase. Other provider do have this problem, just not for the same channel at the same time. Agreements between channels and TV providers are at different times as they don't want to negotiate with all of them at the same time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1293 of 2,065
ACE - Expert

@Bandkjacobs wrote:

Rates have already gone up since AT&T took over Direct, then have the nerve to take Fox off. Thanks A lot, now we have to find another provider.

Your local affiliate of FOX took themselves off. Only they may do so as they own the broadcast rights. Standard negotiating tactic to try and leverage customers against the TV provider (in this case DirecTV) to raise costs. You will not find a provider immune to negotiations as they don't own the channels, which is why all of their terms have it that channels/programming may change at any time.

However we don't go to a pay TV provider for our free locals. Use a regular antenna. Even call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 as they have been offering their new Local Channel Connector (LCC) to customers in areas affected by a rate dispute.

Message 1294 of 2,065
Tutor

Raised the price anyway I lost my local channels and then DTV raises my package anyway 

exactly what they said they were trying to prevent I've been with DTV for 16 years since ATT 

got involved they went to crap 

"censorship ya gotta love it" ,   

Message 1295 of 2,065
ACE - Expert

@bwager wrote:

Raised the price anyway I lost my local channels and then DTV raises my package anyway 

exactly what they said they were trying to prevent I've been with DTV for 16 years since ATT 

got involved they went to crap 

"censorship ya gotta love it" ,   

DirecTV negotiations to minimize any future rate increases. Channel going off does not affect any rate adjustment that was already scheduled. The rates that adjusted this year (by up to about $10 at most) were from prior negotiations. It is not just one channel after all. Even if DirecTV manages to completely avoid a rate increase with one channel, doesn't mean another will not succeed in their negotiation.

Channel wants higher costs, TV provider (and us customers by association) want lower cost, so they negotiate. Has nothing to do with censorship.

https://tvpromise.att.com/

Message 1296 of 2,065
Teacher

Re: My local channel missing

NBC is a network, not a channel. There will be a local channel that is an NBC affiliate. That is who you need to yell at.

Message 1297 of 2,065
Tutor

Yeah ok. Glad I dump $$$ for the service. Nice then to be told that it's my
issue? Learn customer service or don't. Typical excuses for crappy service.
Message 1298 of 2,065
ACE - Expert

@MarcBd wrote:
Yeah ok. Glad I dump $$$ for the service. Nice then to be told that it's my
issue? Learn customer service or don't. Typical excuses for crappy service.

DirecTV is in negotiations with the local affiliate owner (not the network itself).

As a negotiating tactic, the local has pulled their feed (as is their right) from DirecTV in order to leverage customers against the TV provider to further raise rates.

DirecTV as the TV provider is trying to minimize any rate increase (ideally prevent it, but prices go up over the years unfortunately).

To get back the channel quickly, DirecTV would have to give in to the proposed higher rates, meaning that much more on our bill when rates are adjusted.

I would rather longer negotiations than a bigger rate increase.

Local affiliates are free over-the-air (OTA) with simple broadcast antenna on TV, or calling DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 and seeing if you can get their Local Channel Connector (LCC) that allows the free broadcast to come into the DirecTV box. The LCC has been offered to those in these negotiation areas, convenient for not having to switch TV inputs, can still record from broadcast TV, and may even get additional channels within range that DirecTV doesn't have.

This is not customer service. This is a customer to customer forum. Just many of experienced customers understand the reality of how this works. TV providers do not own these channels so cannot force them to return the feed. They must come to an agreement. Sure everyone wants a quicker resolution, until they realize it comes at the cost of increasing their bills that much more.

Message 1299 of 2,065
Tutor

News is that Directv(AT&T) are trying to buy DISH which will make them one happy family. DISH currently has dispute with HBO so you can't get it with DISH. If these two satillite companies combine,

A. there will be alot of channels missing

Or

B. Channels (local affiliates) will need to play ball with them.

C. Consumers ate screwed either way.

Message 1300 of 2,065
Contributor

Agree completely.  It sounds very smug.  Also you can talk about trying to save the customer money, but maybe spend a little of DTV's profits to pay to keep the channel.  That channel is one of very few that is important enough to me to switch providers.

Message 1301 of 2,065
ACE - Expert

If DTV or any other providers cave and pay what a channel is asking for to renew the contract, then all the other channels will want the same when their time comes and then there goes the profit.

Message 1302 of 2,065
ACE - Expert

@RUofMfan wrote:

Agree completely.  It sounds very smug.  Also you can talk about trying to save the customer money, but maybe spend a little of DTV's profits to pay to keep the channel.  That channel is one of very few that is important enough to me to switch providers.

And what will you do when your new providers goes through the same issue?

Message 1303 of 2,065
ACE - Expert

@RUofMfan 

Why should any TV provider (and by association us customers) pay more for a local affiliate that has a free over-the-air (OTA) broadcast? Many of us went to pay TV because we wanted more variety than what was on the free local. And during negotiations like these, I can still use my normal antenna to get the free broadcast that I did for years before getting my own DirecTV account.

Nothing smug. TV providers keep their model to cover operating costs and for whatever profit/reinvestment is budgeted in. If costs go outside this, then it affects the bill to customers. Nothing malicious, just how business work. If you do not have the patience to wait for negotiations to end or use a normal antenna in the meantime, and choose to switch providers, remember that no TV provider is immune to this kind of situation as they all have to negotiate with each and every channel to continue carrying them when agreements come up.

Message 1304 of 2,065

Dear Fox,

You are just one channel.  If you decide to not negotiate with Direct-Tv.  Myself, I will not cancel Direct-tv because you are only one channel.  Direct-Tv has a fair amount of subscribers.  The one that has the more to lose is YOU.  You will loose ads, sitcoms, other programming that will go another route because they need to make money too. See they want to reach more not less subscribers and that's what you get paid to do.  You see if you loose programming and ads, you lose your money makers.  I would rethink your strategy.  For football season, football season will pull from FOX prior to start of season, in a contract there are clauses and if this channel is under litigation of some sort, in turn they are not able to fulfill their end of the contract, this is for the person who was worried about not seeing their SEAHAWKS.

Message 1305 of 2,065
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support