Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Channels removed from DIRECTV lineup (January 2017)

Scholar

Channels removed from DIRECTV lineup (January 2017)

I am done with Directv!!! I pay alot of money to have your service and you pull this crap!! I am tired of you putting the consumer in the middle of your fight with the local stations without any compensation for the days that we are without local channels.  Lucky that the Patriots are playing on another channel!!!  My New Years resolution is to DUMP Directv.

Message 108 of 2,198
ACE - Master

Re: When will we get the Fox station back on DirecTV?

stations are greedy.

they want more money to allow directv to carry them.

this in turns raises your price

you can change providers, but there is a good chance it will happen with any provider you go to, eventually

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1276 of 2,198
Highlighted

Thank you for your response.  Actually, I already knew about the negotiations and the stand-off; we went through this with Fox a couple of years ago.  I understand that Direct wants to keep prices down.  I guess the answer will have to come from Fox.  My opinion - Fox is shooting itself in the foot by blocking out the programming, what with services like Hulu to show their programming, just a little bit later than the original broadcast!
Message 1277 of 2,198
ACE - Master

it happened to me once

i emailed the station asking if they would reimburse thier advertisers for loss of viewers

they didnt like that

stations need to stop depending on the income from carriage deals.

they should feel lucky to be carried and increase the possible number of viewers

heck, maybe directv should charge them for the satellite bandwidth the station uses

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1278 of 2,198
Tutor

Re: My local channel missing

Still no channel 28 fox? Seriously. .. never thought I'd switch but...

Looks like it's dish and Verizon lol. Oh well

Message 1279 of 2,198
ACE - Expert

@MarcBd wrote:

Still no channel 28 fox? Seriously. .. never thought I'd switch but...

Looks like it's dish and Verizon lol. Oh well

Would not be a solution, unless you plan to switch from them when your local FOX affiliate (or any other channel) pulls their feed from them too. No TV provider is immune from these negotiations and the owners of local affiliates are becoming well known for holding viewers hostage.

Agreement could come quicker if TV provider gives in to the continued higher cost of the channel and by association raise our bill (their costs go up, our costs go up). I prefer TV providers standing their ground to minimize the price increases we have seen over the years.

Many of us wonder why TV providers must keep paying higher costs for rebroadcasting a channel that is free over our airways. Most of us go to a TV provider for the national channels we cannot get otherwise, not those free channels.

Use a antenna on your TV to get all free channels within range, which in many areas will be more channels than the TV provider has (like many sub-channels). DirecTV is even working on making this more convenient with their Local Channel Connector (LCC) that allows us to plug the antenna directly into our HDDVR so we don't have to change the TV input and can still record the over-the-air (OTA) channels. The accessory is in a couple testing markets (Las Vegas and Salt Lake City) for the moment, but looking forward to the announcement of expanding that out or full national launch.

In the meantime to verify status of any negotiations that are affecting your local affiliates: https://tvpromise.att.com/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 1280 of 2,198
Tutor

Same crap different day. Save your copy and paste responses. This is poor
customer service. Do not try to shift blame. Get it fixed.
Message 1281 of 2,198
ACE - Expert

@MarcBd wrote:
Same crap different day. Save your copy and paste responses. This is poor
customer service. Do not try to shift blame. Get it fixed.

Sorry, not copy and paste. I simply posted the reality of the situation. Negotiations are not a technical issue, so nothing to fix. When local affiliates do this with multiple providers, then it is not a shifting of blame but accepting the situation for what it really is. For example the biggest one recently has been Northwest Broadcasting that owns many local affiliates. On the one who has the broadcast rights, which would be the channel owner, can return the feed. The TV provider (in this case DirecTV) cannot force them to.

This is the situation for all TV providers when it comes to these negotiations. TV provider wants to keep costs low, Channel owner wants to raise cost. As a customer, I side with the TV providers on these negotiations because I do not want my bills going up further for channels that are free otherwise. For those that demand their local channels through pay TV immediately, I want them to offer to shoulder the cost the rest of us don't want. If local channels are super important over other channels, then I would think you would just have a antenna and no pay TV provider.

And this is not any kind of customer service. This is a customer to customer forum. I am not an employee, just like most others. If you want official support either check the link I provided for status on negotiation, or call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000.

Message 1282 of 2,198
Tutor

When you make excuses it all sounds the same. Blah blah blah.
#lackofcustomerservice
Don't bother replying. I prefer doing business with companies that hold
themselves accountable for customer satisfaction. Not blame it on others. F
A I L
Message 1283 of 2,198
ACE - Expert

@MarcBd wrote:
When you make excuses it all sounds the same. Blah blah blah.
#lackofcustomerservice
Don't bother replying. I prefer doing business with companies that hold
themselves accountable for customer satisfaction. Not blame it on others. F
A I L

All TV providers go through negotiations, so you cannot avoid it with anybody as TV providers do not own the channels. Both the TV provider and channel owner have to come to an agreement. My opinion is that I do not want the channel owner to keep raising cost. So I hope DirecTV succeeds in minimizing any higher cost (I would prefer no higher cost at all, but that seems unlikely with the trend of local affiliates). In the end there is no true "blame" anywhere. By the nature of the beast, negotiations are a 2-way street. You cannot force one side to fully agree to the other's demands immediately just because you don't want to use a antenna to get your free channels.

I have been polite in all my discussions, so no need for you to be rude. And I am not doing any kind of business with you, as stated I do not work for AT&T or DirecTV. This is a public forum, not customer support. You want support from the company then you call them, but remember agents over the phone have no control over the negotiations as that is internal between both the TV provider and the channel owner.

Message 1284 of 2,198
ACE - Expert

@MarcBd wrote:
your little replies are a waste of time, Both in this conversation and in
the rest of reality. Do not assume my comments are rude because you have
zero clue on how customer service and negotiations work. I negotiate
contracts and can see what the issue is, it's $$$. I am also ex-ATT
management so when you spout pure drivel please know people who understand
customer service, etc, will call you on your crap.
#poorcustomerservice
#getaclue

Telling someone not to reply, comments of "blah, blah", and some of your "hashtags" (which I find out of place here as this is not Twitter) are what come across as rude and hostile. We have differing viewpoints and that is fine, but I was hoping you would have kept a civil adult conversation, especially sine you claim to be ex-management which should be able to discuss more politely.

In the end we cannot force either side to cave to the other's demands just be cause we want a channel. They are free over-the-air so not what pay TV is built around. And negotiations between them has nothing to do with providing customer service as those are two separate things. Where I do agree is DirecTV's customer service needs to come back up after all the hurdles during the merger.

I hope that DirecTV will soon fully release their LCC so that we can get all free channels in range to our HDDVR, regardless if they have an agreement with the channel owner or not. Then they can stop wasting money to pay for free channels and at least those specific negotiations would theoretically be reduced greatly as the locals would no longer have that huge power over DirecTV and us customers.

If you need to go somewhere else for your free channels instead of waiting for negotiations to complete, that is up to you. Remember though that all TV providers go through negotiations so be prepared to go through this again with any channel when it comes time. I will be around the forum to discuss with others, but unless anything reasonable comes through here I will step out as I do not wish to participate in toxicity.

Message 1285 of 2,198
Tutor

That was the best response yet. I completely agree. "They" need to come to
an agreement. Also I can see where you would consider # etc rude. Thanks
for responding. # thanks (jk)
Message 1286 of 2,198
Contributor

I  have had a message on our local Fox station for MONTHS now saying it is unavailable at this time (and it's been there for many weeks).  Our local news has reported that Fox and DirecTV are in a dispute.  How many months is this going to drag on?  Will this dispute be settled soon?  Do we need to cancel with DirecTV and go with Dish?

Message 1287 of 2,198
ACE - Master

you can try, but its well known dish has more disputes than any other provider.

call the station, tell them to stop being greedy

locals need to be a line item so people see the cost

with the ability to opt out

Message 1288 of 2,198
ACE - Expert

@bud730 wrote:

...  Do we need to cancel with DirecTV and go with Dish?

Sure. And what will you do when the same thing happens to Dish Network?

Message 1289 of 2,198
Contributor

Re: When will I get back my local Channel NBC

I watch shows on channel 15 all the time and am very disappointed that it is now removed.  When renewing my Direct TV contract I was on a bundle cost and don't feel that I should be charged additional for getting channels back when they were included in my price.  Why is direct getting charged more and the customers are going to have to pay when other providers are not having this problem.  Does this problem affect AT&T Unverse also?  This is a Direct TV problem not a customers problem.

Message 1290 of 2,198
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support