Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Channels removed from DIRECTV lineup (January 2017)

Scholar

Channels removed from DIRECTV lineup (January 2017)

I am done with Directv!!! I pay alot of money to have your service and you pull this crap!! I am tired of you putting the consumer in the middle of your fight with the local stations without any compensation for the days that we are without local channels.  Lucky that the Patriots are playing on another channel!!!  My New Years resolution is to DUMP Directv.

Message 108 of 1,951
ACE - Expert

Re: My local channel missing

What's your zip code?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1261 of 1,951
ACE - Expert

@OldMama50 wrote:
Thanks for the link that works! However, it says that "there are no local
issues", even though I can still not get the local CBS or FOX stations.

What happens when you tune those channels directly?  Are they in your Guide?  Any on-screen message?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1262 of 1,951
Contributor

Message 1263 of 1,951
ACE - Expert

@OldMama50 wrote:

What happens when you tune those channels directly?  Are they in your Guide?  Any on-screen message?

Message 1264 of 1,951
Contributor

Re: When will I get back my local Channel NBC

If this is the case for real, why doesn't DirecTv just install antennas with their system to allow customers the ability to watch the OTA channels and then they would not have to pay the fees for local channels. I remember a cable company in Ohio that provided antennas and A/B switches to their customers over one of these disputes.

Message 1265 of 1,951
ACE - Expert

the reference was to the likelihood of a law suit succeeding. 

The broadcasters persuaded the FCC to allow them to charge sat and cable companies for retransmission rights.  Every time there is a contract renewal between a local network affiliate (these are the stations that actually broadcast the networks, not the networks themselves.) the station asks for more money. the amounts used to be small but are now a signicant part of a stations revenue. They have increased dramatically over the past few years and are predicted to increase even faster, see https://www.multichannel.com/news/aca-members-believe-retrans-fees-will-rise-88-2020-418199  If a provider like DirecTV or the cable company refuses to pay the increased fees the local station often pulls its programming, and the rules dont allow DirecTV to get the programming elsewhere (such as giving you another network channel). It's a completely one-sided situation 

Message 1266 of 1,951
ACE - Expert

@fuelflea wrote:

If this is the case for real, why doesn't DirecTv just install antennas with their system to allow customers the ability to watch the OTA channels and then they would not have to pay the fees for local channels. I remember a cable company in Ohio that provided antennas and A/B switches to their customers over one of these disputes.

That's what the AM21 and new LCC devices do.  But not everyone can receive their local channels with an off-air antenna.  

Message 1267 of 1,951
ACE - Expert

@fuelflea 

There are many different OTA antennas out there so DirecTV will not provide their own version as not guaranteed to be the exact kind you need. Some of us can use a small indoor antenna, other areas need an outside antenna to get better reception.

What DirecTV is doing is coming out with their Local Channel Connector (LCC) which will allow you to plug your OTA antenna into your HDDVR. This way you don't have to change the TV input, can record from your locals, and not just as a backup for channel negotiations but for other channels in range that DirecTV would not be able to provide themselves. It is in a couple test markets right now (Las Vegas and Salt Lake City) so just wanting for more test markets or full national launch. This will be a nice way to combat local channel greed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 1268 of 1,951
Contributor

I agree I am paying for this station, not getting a refund.  Direct TV does this more often than Dish.  I used to have Dish.  I not have Direct TV the stupid Genie program which is worthless.  It is slow and hasn't been perfected.  I also am about to change back to Dish.  This is ridiculous.

Message 1269 of 1,951
ACE - Expert

@SalmonID wrote:

I agree I am paying for this station, not getting a refund.  Direct TV does this more often than Dish.  I used to have Dish.  I not have Direct TV the stupid Genie program which is worthless.  It is slow and hasn't been perfected.  I also am about to change back to Dish.  This is ridiculous.

Actually, if you review the Dish Network forums, they have a much worse track record with local station contracts than DirecTV.  

Changing back to Dish might help the immediate issue, but it will eventually impact them, too. 

Message 1270 of 1,951
ACE - Expert

@SalmonID wrote:

I agree I am paying for this station, not getting a refund.  

Negotiations affect all providers.

Dish is well known for being unlucky enough to go through the worst of them.

Local affiliates pull this trick the most of withholding their feed, but they within their rights as only the channel owner owns the broadcast rights.

No TV provider lowers bill for a individual channel going through negotiations.

Because of situations like this is why all TV providers have in their terms that channels/programming is subject to change at any time because they don't own those channels.

I not have Direct TV the stupid Genie program which is worthless.

Not sure what you mean here. Sounds like you have an issue with either one of the Genies, or the new graphical user interface (GUI) software that some models receive, yet you don't have it. If you are having a technical issue or concern with equipment or software could you clarify the specifics clearly?

Message 1271 of 1,951
Teacher

Remember-you are not losing CBS, NBC, ABC, or Fox in these cases. You are losing a local affiliate channel. You need to call them when it goes out, or if you have an issue with their programming.

Message 1272 of 1,951
Highlighted

When will we get the Fox station back on DirecTV?

We have had a message on our local Fox station saying it is unavailable at this time (and it's been there for many weeks).  Our local news has reported that Fox and DirecTV are in a dispute.  Will this dispute be settled soon?  I don't care about the regular programming (other than Last Man Standing - but I can watch this on Hulu).  But football season is coming up and our Seahawks are broadcast on Fox.  Do we need to cancel with DirecTV?

Message 1273 of 1,951
ACE - Expert

Re: When will we get the Fox station back on DirecTV?

Whenever Fox signs a new contract or returns the feed while they continue to talk.

Message 1274 of 1,951
ACE - Expert

Re: When will we get the Fox station back on DirecTV?

@Shadowsmom2 wrote:

We have had a message on our local Fox station saying it is unavailable at this time (and it's been there for many weeks).  Our local news has reported that Fox and DirecTV are in a dispute.  Will this dispute be settled soon?  I don't care about the regular programming (other than Last Man Standing - but I can watch this on Hulu).  But football season is coming up and our Seahawks are broadcast on Fox.  Do we need to cancel with DirecTV?

No you do not need to cancel DirecTV as that doesn't solve the problem. All TV providers go through negotiations. Some channels pull their feed when the current agreement comes up to try and leverage customers against the TV provider to raise costs. This has become more common for local affiliates. Why should TV providers, and in turn us customers by way of higher bills, pay more and more for channels that are free over-the-air?

Use a regular antenna to get the free broadcast in the meantime, and possibly other locals DirecTV does not have (like many sub-channels). Though nobody knows when the dispute will be settled, as we cannot predict the future on how long it will take, you can check the current status: https://tvpromise.att.com/

Tags (1)
Message 1275 of 1,951
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support