Channels removed from DIRECTV lineup (January 2017)

Scholar

Channels removed from DIRECTV lineup (January 2017)

I am done with Directv!!! I pay alot of money to have your service and you pull this crap!! I am tired of you putting the consumer in the middle of your fight with the local stations without any compensation for the days that we are without local channels.  Lucky that the Patriots are playing on another channel!!!  My New Years resolution is to DUMP Directv.

Message 108 of 1,180
ACE - Expert

Re: I WANT MY CBS STATION BACK!!!

@bcaziam, I hope you read the posts in this thread.  If you did, you would realize it's actually the corporations that own the local stations that are holding you hostage, not DirecTV.  They're the ones demanding more of your money.   And for signals that they get to broadcast using our public airwaves for free, so why should DirecTV, Dish, Comcast, etc. have to pay them anything?!?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1156 of 1,180
Master

@bcaziam

Directv does pay the local affiliates that carry those networks. Agreement comes up, local affiliate wants more money. So if you can't be patient, write Directv and tell them you would be happy to have your bill go up to cave into the local affiliates higher prices for their free over-the-air channels. Or like many of us, use an OTA antenna on your TV as normal and be glad Directv is fighting against rising costs.

Message 1157 of 1,180
Tutor

@Juniper,
have several seats, are you part of dtv execs?[Please keep it courteous]

Message 1158 of 1,180
ACE - Expert

@bcaziam, really?!? That's your attitude?  So sad. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 1159 of 1,180
Highlighted
Master

@bcaziam

You get local channels free over-the-air (OTA) with an OTA antenna.

You go to a tv provider, like Directv, for the national channels that are not available free. Any locals provided are complimentary to the customer, not a requirement of service.

With locals and nationals, Directv does not own them, just like other tv providers. They are a rebroadcaster. When the agreement with a tv provider and any network comes up, the channel owner can choose to stay on during the negotiations or stay dark. Only the channel owner, who have the broadcast rights, can turn on or off the channel. Local affiliates are the ones most known for not staying on.

So the choice Directv has is to either keep negotiating to prevent further rising costs, or agree to the channel's demands which results in a higher customer bill. So as the customer, we need to be patient. So the mindset of that this should never happen to local channels and  "...get it fixed NOW!!!!!!!!" is unrealistic. Neogtiations complete when both sides come to an acceptable agreement, which has no set time. If Directv owned the channels, situation would be different.

Alternatively, if customers were to officially tell Directv they are willing to pay the higher cost, channel would probably be on quicker. Quite obviously customers aren't going to do this as nobody wants to pay more. So let us move away from "I want it, I want it at no cost to me, and I want it now" mentality and relax. Directv keeping costs down helps them and us, as they don't have to pass on more increased costs to our bills.

Message 1160 of 1,180

Totally disagree with this.

Regardless of who owns what, and what deadlines are looming,
rebroadcasters, like DTV, need to provide CUSTOMER SERVICE by
completing negotiating BEFORE customers suffer.

We lost our New Years Eve broadcast ... right in the middle New Years Eve!!!

We lost our NFL playoff channels, and nearly the Super Bowl.

We lost local News, Weather, and other "important to me" information,
that was not available on my TV.

If I wanted to live in the back woods and put tin foil on my TV for a
so-called antenna, I might look at things different. However, I am a
"normal television watching customer" who pays people like DTV to
provide what I want and expect.

There is NO EXCUSE for handling this the way they did. No matter what.

We are still considering other alternatives, as we are still not
happy with how this whole thing went down. We will change when we
have found a workable alternative.

DTV and/or AT&T had no right, and doesn't give a rat's petoot! They
didn't suffer. They still have all these "commenting on their website
and still paying" fool customers, like us, who haven't yet found
something else.
Message 1161 of 1,180
ACE - Master

So what is DTV suppose to do? They say no more money, the station says we want more money or we will turn it off?

They do start the negotiations before the contract is up.

Message 1162 of 1,180
Master

@FromHollisterCA

Negotiations always start before the current agreement is up. The intention is to avoid situations like this. However, Directv (nor any other tv provider/rebroadcaster) can force the channel owner to stay on. You can't force two companies (in this case Directv and your local affiliate) to say they agree by a certain time. Reality doesn't work that way. They negotiate until both sides agree to terms. So are you saying that Directv should have agreed to the local affiliates demands by the time the agreement was up and allow a further increase to the bill?

You want your channel protected with guarantee that it doesn't go off during negotiations, but like all customers don't want it affecting your bill. Sorry, can't have it both ways.

Message 1163 of 1,180
Employee

For anyone who is demanding this channel back without Directv negotiating, would you be happy if Directv just agreed to whatever price the owners of the staion wants? Because if so, you better be prepared to pay whatever the price goes up to. Directv negotiates the price for their customers. If they just agreed to whatever price they onwers of the station wants then the bill will skyrocket. And also if you decided to switch to another provider, keep in mind this CAN happen to other providers as well. 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 1164 of 1,180
ACE - Expert

Most of the time DIRECTV (and other providers) would be happy to continue rebroadcasting the service under the terms of the previous contract during negotiation (not always, but most of the time), yet the station owner decides not to allow that, as it is their largest weapon with which to beat them over the head.  So, before screaming at DIRECTV, look who pulled the plug.

Message 1165 of 1,180
ACE - Expert

We are still considering other alternatives, as we are still not
happy with how this whole thing went down. We will change when we
have found a workable alternative.

@FromHollisterCA, let us know when you find an alternative provider that hasn't faced these exact same "hostage" contract negotiations.  I don't think you'll find one.  

Message 1166 of 1,180
Tutor

Re: nbc

I won't pay anything because dtv is not holding up there end of bundle. Nothing is bundled they all have separate acct.numbers. I went through this in 14 not going to do it again especially since they called me to upgrade. Its antenna time

Tags (1)
Message 1167 of 1,180
Master

@Newtoyou

"Bundling" does not give you one account number, never has. What "bundling" does, is by ordering tv, internet, and maybe phone at the same time or if you allready have Directv ordering internet through them from one of their partners you get an additional promotional discount for doing so. With some you even have the option to combine the bills (though I wouldn't personally reccomend doing so) so that Directv bills your internet provider and then your internet provider bills you for all together. A combined bill does not change the fact they are different services under different branding, hence why account numbers are different because they are different accounts.

Message 1168 of 1,180
Tutor

Sorry I was under the impression that above each service it should say bundled with internet or bundled with wireless. It's not my fault they came out 6/22/16 to change modern! I did not upgrade till they put in dvr and I went up to another package 7/13/16 it was all included and free genie upgrade free services. Now on the new packages they made sure they cleared that it Say's equipment fees and services. And I asked to make sure will I have to pay after 2 years she said No.I know you will message me back saying service Fee's are always charged but it's in big orange letters DVR upgrade included. Then under that service Fee's included. I would never have agreed to this stuff from a dtv company called directv response line! If there going to contract telemarketing agents that means I was on a list of not upgrading for years.In Walmart at the DirecTV table to sign up new customers the dtv rep said if you haven't had a bundle in the last 2 years your eligible. That I don't believe. But every time a new tech came out he would increase my internet and change my modem.I never agreed to any changes but I guess its easier to keep increasing my speed to keep me connected.

Message 1169 of 1,180
Master

@Newtoyou

Directv bundles with at least Uverse, Centurylink, Mediacom, Hughsnet, and Viasat. Different services so there is no way to have the same account number.

If you qualify for a free upgrade of equipment (existing customer), it will not say the monthly receiver services are free. You still pay for your HD, DVR, Whole Home DVR (seperated items on bill for older accounts) or Advanced Receiver Services (accounts within the last couple of years have it consolidated as one item on bill). Advertisements that mention upgrade are new customer offers worded as such because you are "upgrading" from your current provider (or no provider at all) to Directv.

The All Included (new customer intro offer) is its own special if you place an order for Directv and AT&T services all together. An option they came out with since the merger, and yes some additional fees are included in the price instead of having it all itemized (depending on your exact setup chosen).

Store locations (Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, Costco, etc.) are 3rd party retailers, not Directv owned/operated as Directv has no stores of their own. And those store locations are to gather new customers, not manage existing ones. No matter the company or service (tv, cellphone, etc.) always double check the info from sales people located in a larger store.

Directv will not change your modem as they are not your internet provider. Directv is tv only, but can assist you ordering a new internet service if they partner with one qualified for your address. If you have issues with your modem or other parts of your internet, you contact your internet provider. If you are having issues just with your Directv system connecting to your internet for On Demand, that is something the customer comunity might be able to help out with. If it is affecting just Directv, please create your own thread with the details of the issue, model numbers of boxes you have, and the community can try to help.

Message 1170 of 1,180
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the Watching DIRECTV Forum! Need to troubleshoot your service? Need to see some of the products we offer? Wondering how to take your DVR with you? Click below!

Additional Support