Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Changing service address

Tutor

Changing service address

We are rv'ers and travel between our summer home and winter home, wanting to change our service address 2 times a year. We have had Directv for 22 yrs and also have a wireless internet with AT&T. We have never had an issue changing until this month when we arrived in Florida.  After 4.5 hours over 2 days we are being told since we have combined bills now we can not change our service address. They want us to request a move and pay a contractor to come out $$ and hook up everything that is already hooked up, duh. I'm more capable than the techs they send out. Everything is already hooked up and receiving 95-100 % signal on all the upper signals. what is up with AT&T? Is it time to drop them and go to dish?

Message 1 of 12
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by 247RVer
‎11-28-2018 7:42 AM

Re: Changing service address

Yep, you've described their new policy.  You can either keep your DirecTV equipment and not change your service address, which means you won't get the local stations at your RV location.  Or you can switch providers.  

Note that if your RV equipment is older SD equipment with a round satellite dish, you'll need to make a change anyway.  DirecTV is ending its SD/MPEG2 services in April 2019, so you'll need newer HiDef dish and equipment.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 12
Tutor

Since they are changing to all HD, does that mean we will no longer be forced to pay for HD since we have no choice? We use the slim line dish any way.

Message 3 of 12
ACE - Expert

@247RVer wrote:

Since they are changing to all HD, does that mean we will no longer be forced to pay for HD since we have no choice? We use the slim line dish any way.

Don't know what their pricing will be.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 12
Mentor

I've called DirecTV three times about changing a service address. The third time I asked to talk to a tech, but I obviously didn't get one. I simply moved my receivers from my home to another home that I own where I work on a pipeline. Three reps SAID they changed the service address and nothing happened. So, does this mean that if you move your receivers to a vacation home or whatever, DirecTV won't change the locals to the new address and will just leave them with the old address's locals? How in the world can they get by with this?

Message 5 of 12
ACE - Expert

@MrTVWatcher wrote:

I've called DirecTV three times about changing a service address. The third time I asked to talk to a tech, but I obviously didn't get one. I simply moved my receivers from my home to another home that I own where I work on a pipeline. Three reps SAID they changed the service address and nothing happened. So, does this mean that if you move your receivers to a vacation home or whatever, DirecTV won't change the locals to the new address and will just leave them with the old address's locals? How in the world can they get by with this?

See also my response to your other post about this.

DirecTV has changed their policy about temporary service address changes.  Can't do it anymore without triggering a move workorder.  You'll need to use an off-air antenna to get local channels at your second location.

Message 6 of 12
Mentor

And where can I read about this new DirecTV policy that discusses "temporary" locations? What if I stayed at my other home and didn't go back to my real home? They can also know my thinking on that too? This is a haphazard policy, and it's something that will send many current DirecTV subscribers to Dish.

Message 7 of 12
Mentor

Also, why was the person who started these posts told by a DirecTV rep that "combined accounts" prevented the change in service address?

Message 8 of 12
Tutor

MRTVWatcher, I have a Direct tv account (22 yrs) and also wireless hotspot with AT&T. (2 yrs) Now that AT&T owns DTV instead of 2 separate accounts they were combined into 1 account.  When I tried to change my service account to our Florida winter rv spot I was told (after 4.5 hrs in 2 days) That since my accounts were mitigated into 1 AT&T account we could no longer switch service address, unless I applied for a movers request. That would be $199.00 plus the tech would have to come out and check  my dish and re set up my 2 receivers. I wouldn't go for that so when we get back to SC for the summer it will be changed to Dish network.

Message 9 of 12
ACE - Expert

@MrTVWatcher wrote:

And where can I read about this new DirecTV policy that discusses "temporary" locations? What if I stayed at my other home and didn't go back to my real home? They can also know my thinking on that too? This is a haphazard policy, and it's something that will send many current DirecTV subscribers to Dish.

Well, it's not really a NEW policy.  The DirecTV terms and conditions have always made it clear that you're only allowed to use their equipment at one location (your Service Address).  But since the beginning they would generally look the other way for RVers that wanted to temporarily change their location, with the understanding that nobody was using the equipment at the original location.  Now they won't do that.  Some say it's due to their new billing systems.  Don't really know the reason why, just know that's the way it is now.

Message 10 of 12
Mentor

Reps do not tell things this way. They believe nothing's changed, it's just a little more complex because of the current combining of DirecTV into the AT&T system. Well, whatever the case may be, changed or not, reps aren't being informed on this.

Message 11 of 12
Mentor

I have contacted Dish  and they are on their way to get the proper locals that I need. That is total crud from DirecTV and their boss AT&T.

Message 12 of 12
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support