Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Can't Reconnect DirecTV to Internet

Tutor

Can't Reconnect DirecTV to Internet

Problem code 86-229. DirecTV is telling me my HD DVR is not connected to the Internet. It asks me to reconnect. I have verified everything is connected that should be and that it all has power. I have attempted to reconnect the Internet connection both by entering the password manually and by pressing the button on my AT&T router. Other devices are connected wirelessly and there are no more than 5. The wireless genies are working. I tried resetting the router and reconnecting but that did not work either. Please help!
Message 1 of 24
Tutor

Re: Can't Reconnect DirecTV to Internet

I've been having the same problems.  I have reset the network multiple times, had a technician who no help at all at my house, and also been sent a new receiver and still does not work.  All of my other devices can connect and use the internet with no problems at all.  I am close to canceling my services and going with another provider.  So tired of paying for something that does not work

Message 16 of 24
Tutor

The way we solved our problem was to get an extender that can be moved closer to the TV. Our internet provider's router is not strong enough to reach the TV which is located in front room with the router being at the other end of hallway. That is the only way our 5 yr old tv will pick it up strong enough to stream movies.

Hope it helps.
Message 17 of 24
Tutor

Thanks, I tried that already as well.  Even ran an ethernet cable to the receiver.  Every other device in my house is able to connect and stream except my DirecTV receiver 

Message 18 of 24
Tutor

Perhaps I misunderstood you. We only use DirecTV for watching TV, I refuse to pay extra to buy a movie. I was trying to connect my TV to our wireless internet server in order to do that I had to get an extender. Then, we used a HDM1 cable with an adapter to fit my android tablet. Just remove the HDM1 cable from back of tv &  plug in the one connecting to tablet or whatever device you use to connect to internet. Of course this can be done several ways, we had to go this route because our TV does not have built-in Blue Ray. If you already have all those things, then you should be able to connect to wireless internet using the menu on DirecTV. It is almost impossible to get this info from AT&T or DirecTV CS or any tech sent to house. I hear using Firestick or similar is the way to go to stream to TV.

Message 19 of 24
Tutor

I have used the Firestick and got it to work, but  I want it to do is to be able to rewind and to watch HBO On demand etc..  I may have not done a good job of explaining myself  Hard to do sometimes through a message board

Message 20 of 24
Contributor

I am having this issue, I tried resetting the directv box as well as my internet, nothing. called directv tech support and says its my internet provider. how so when I use ATT, all my other devices connect just fine. can anybody help ?

Message 21 of 24
Contributor

Menu>Settings & Help>Settings>Internet Set up>Advanced Set Up>Reset Network.

Internet Setup is my last option.  "Advanced Setup>Reset Network" is not available to select

Message 22 of 24
Contributor

We lost our internet connection to our main Direct TV Box after a power outage. None of the steps that worked prior to reset are working now. Called tech support and after re-doing everything I already tried a second and third time with them, told I needed a technician to come out. That will cost me $99! Why do I have to pay for a technician to come fix their equipment that I am only leasing? I have a bundled package with AT&T - internet, phone and TV. The internet /wifi works fine with my two computers, ipad, and 3 mobile phones - so it is the box that isn't working. Was told I was past the 90 day warranty and had to purchase an insurance plan for $9 a month. I could understand if I owned the equipment or it was an issue with phone lines coming into my home. I have only had Direct TV for 10 months - they should stand by their equipment! I MISS COMCAST!! 

Message 23 of 24
Tutor

Never used Comcast but I have never liked the way AT&T treats customers. We got disgruntled employees to setup our DirecTV as I learned from conversations & total lack of interest in making sure they got it right. It was only one of the 2 people sent out to our house to install. It was later that we discovered what a sloppy job they did outside installing the satellite. Now after 2 yrs, they are doubling the amount they charge each month when we were told we would get it at a certain price for the rest of the time. Looking for something better...

Message 24 of 24
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support