Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Can't Reconnect DirecTV to Internet

Tutor

Can't Reconnect DirecTV to Internet

Problem code 86-229. DirecTV is telling me my HD DVR is not connected to the Internet. It asks me to reconnect. I have verified everything is connected that should be and that it all has power. I have attempted to reconnect the Internet connection both by entering the password manually and by pressing the button on my AT&T router. Other devices are connected wirelessly and there are no more than 5. The wireless genies are working. I tried resetting the router and reconnecting but that did not work either. Please help!
Message 1 of 24
ACE - Expert

Re: Can't Reconnect DirecTV to Internet

What is the DTV receiver model number?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 24
Tutor

HR 44
Message 3 of 24
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by megmulv
‎08-22-2016 7:27 PM

Try Menu>Settings & Help>Settings>Internet Set up>Advanced Set Up>Reset Network.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 24
Tutor

After resetting, it took me to the screen that asks if your Internet connection is working on other devices and I answered yes. It gives the options to Configure Wireless to update or Next if you don't have a router, and since I have a router, I clicked Configure. I entered my password again to my wireless network, which was found, and it verifies the connection.. I cannot tell you how many times I tried this and it did not work, but this time IT WORKED!! I was typing all that out in case it didn't again. Thank you for your help! Any particular reason why that happens?
Message 5 of 24
Tutor

That was much nicer than calling with a sleeping baby.. I appreciate the quick response and assistance. I will definitely be using this forum again should any problems arise - although I certainly hope not!
Message 6 of 24
ACE - Expert

You are welcome.  There is also a chat feature on you DTV account page under the Help Center contact us.

Message 7 of 24
Contributor

We did reset the Direct TV box.  No change.  

Message 8 of 24
Tutor

I lost power this morning and now I can’t get direct tv to reconnect to the internet. The tv it self is connected and my iPad and iphone are connected and my computer is. It comes up with a code that says 86-791

Message 9 of 24
Employee

Reset your main receiver.  When you are back to programming go to Menu>Settings>Internet Setup>Advanced>Reset Network, then press the dash button (beneath the 7 on your remote).  After network is through resetting, don't select anything else on the following screen.  Exit back to tv, go back to menu>settings>internet setup>reconnect now>follow steps and re enter password.  Don't use the reconnect option in settings, go through the full internet setup menu.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 10 of 24
Contributor

If I reset main receiver will I lose all my recordings?

Message 11 of 24
ACE - Expert

@Ctriez wrote:

If I reset main receiver will I lose all my recordings?

No.

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 12 of 24
Tutor

Did not work and I have run out of options. It was working before we installed an extender & now it will not connect with either one. I have memorized the code since I have had to type it in so many times. Even pushed WPS button on router, that did not work either. Gave a # to call with options, I punched in technical & was told this # was only for sales! Oh, geez, I never wanted to deal with AT&T again, was my husband's choice.Woman Frustrated

Message 13 of 24
Highlighted
Tutor

I have found it is a lot of different things that finally worked, first if you are using google chrome, every time you try to open a new browser you have to reset the stupid flash player from it's default {ask} to Enable which is lame of chrome , you have to go to the lock by the address in the address bar to do this, click browser settings and enable adobe flash, then another time it kept prompting me to download directv player which I had done 10 times and kept installing only to get the same  prompt, I finally went into the browser settings and cleared my cookies and cache and it worked. Seems it can be numerous problems causing this condition. . One suggestion, do not use google chrome, direct tv is discontinuing it in 2020 anyway. I can't believe this website prevented me from using the word describing a wall to stop water then blocked the letters w t and f these censors are lame oh now they are banning the word to describe how babies get their milk what jokers.

Message 14 of 24
Contributor

We have been having the connectivity issues and it’s extremely irritating - not able to rewind movies or news to the beginning when changing channel.  This happens all of the time and now, not able to connect the wireless. All of our devices connect without any issues. So many problems with this service and just want to know what we can do so we can utilize our service without isssues.

Message 15 of 24
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support