Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Impacted by the government shutdown? AT&T can help.  Learn more

Bandwidth

Contributor

Bandwidth

Is there a way to reduce bandwidth usage ?  I am unable to use the playback feature as it says my internet speed is not adequate.

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert

Re: Bandwidth

Run speedtest and post the results.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6
Contributor

The download speed averaged 2.23 and the upload speed averaged 1.96
Message 3 of 6
ACE - Expert

That is not enough for On Demand minimum is now 10 you can try recording them.

Even if you disconnected all you internet devices there is not enough there.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 6
Employee

The minimum is 6mbps but even on my 100mbps there are issues with on demand. Here are several caddie alert file from dtv engineers regarding this issue.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 6
ACE - Expert

It used to be 2Mbps to optimize On Demand. Now in today's more connected world, a minimum of 10Mbps is reccomended. But it depends on how many other devices, or how your internet is being used, for what speed you need for the home. And remember your subscribed speed is an up to, so a speedtest is helpful to see on what you're actually getting. But yes, depending on how your local internet manages traffic, or other services in the path it takes, it is possible that even with high internet that the Directv On Demand may get low priority allong the way. For this reason my household which has good internet otherwise, we record/download the On Demand before watching instead of trying to stream. Allthough sometimes we let a little buffer build up and watch it while it is still recording. Take that time to fix a snack or something so no biggie.

Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support