Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Amazon Alexa use with Directv

Contributor

Amazon Alexa use with Directv

I would like to use my Amazon Dot to Control my Television and receiver.  After watching numerous videos on YouTube it looks like you need to have programming expertise to do this.  I would like to say "Alexa turn on TV, or Alexa show guide, etc.  

Will Directv work on a way to allow the normal non- programmer to accomplish this?

Message 1 of 47
Tutor

Re: Amazon Alexa use with Directv

I understand the split in function because the TV and Gennie functions are different by manufacture.  I still have my hub and would like to know more.  Did you have to subscribe to a developer site with Amazon to get it working?
Message 31 of 47
ACE - Expert

@Browng1 wrote:
I understand the split in function because the TV and Gennie functions are different by manufacture.  I still have my hub and would like to know more.  Did you have to subscribe to a developer site with Amazon to get it working?

What issues are you having programming your Logitech Hub to work with your DirecTV equipment?  Mine was easy to program using the Logitech App on my iPad.  It knew all of the commands for the DirecTV DVR, TV, AV Receiver, Fire TV, and everything else in my media center.  Now I can just say "Alexa, watch DirecTV" and she does the rest.  

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 32 of 47
Contributor

My Logitech hub is in a cabinet. Therefore, this won’t work to turn on the TV without having to pick up and point the remote at the TV.  I believe some folks here just want to just be able to not have to pick up a remote at all to turn on and control the TV and Directv receiver.  We just want voice command only to make it all work as soon as we walk into the TV room.  Thanks.

Message 33 of 47
Tutor

Your statement is true. I want to be able to buy a product open a box plug it in and configure it to work with my Directv Gennie and TV using Alexis voice commands much like Dish.  I would have already changed to Dish but The Dish DVR will not do what Directv box will do

Message 34 of 47
Tutor

I am not formilur with the app you refrenced

Message 35 of 47
Tutor

Exactly.  This is important for those who are disabled and lack the fine motor skills to be able to push the buttons on a remote. 
Message 36 of 47
Contributor

Ok I now Have the Alexa skill for Directv that Att put out. But what command do I use To get Alexa to pull up my recorded list of shows etc..., and my guide of channels???

Message 37 of 47
Tutor

What skill is that?  How do you get it?  Directv has been telling me they don't have anything.
Message 38 of 47
ACE - Master

@dw1234 wrote:
What skill is that?  How do you get it?  Directv has been telling me they don't have anything.

go to

https://alexa.amazon.com/

click on music, video, & books

click on directv, choose activate

it showed up a day or so ago, maybe its beta, maybe it will disapear

who knows

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 39 of 47
Teacher

Spoiler

I downloaded that Alexa skill but it seems the app does not support my Genie 2.

It shows the option but will not connect.   Any ideas?

Message 40 of 47
Contributor

Get the Amazon Fire TV Cube or Box, It works great with APPS.  Voice Control is a snap!!!

Message 41 of 47
Contributor

Get the Amazon Fire TV Cube or Box, It works great with APPS.  Voice Control is a snap!!!

Message 42 of 47
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Community Manager (Community Manager)
Accepted by ATTDmitriyCM
‎10-01-2018 11:06 AM

Tags (1)
Message 43 of 47
Tutor

I was very excited to see this.  Since we don't have a Genie device (we have an HR22), we called DirecTV.  While they said they could upgrade us to Genie, they said we would still not be able to control DirecTV through Alexa.  The agent even consulted with her technical people, and they insist that there is currently no way to control DirecTV through Alexa.  So now I'm totally confused.
Message 44 of 47
ACE - Expert

Support is often the last to know.

https://www.amazon.com/DIRECTV-LLC/dp/B07FDNYMB6

Message 45 of 47
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support