Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Amazon Alexa use with Directv

Contributor

Amazon Alexa use with Directv

I would like to use my Amazon Dot to Control my Television and receiver.  After watching numerous videos on YouTube it looks like you need to have programming expertise to do this.  I would like to say "Alexa turn on TV, or Alexa show guide, etc.  

Will Directv work on a way to allow the normal non- programmer to accomplish this?

Message 1 of 47
ACE - Expert

Re: Amazon Alexa use with Directv

From the litte I see on the Amazon website I don't think so as it needs a IR transmitter and codes or it needs the RF transmitter and codes to send the commands to the DTV receiver.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 47
ACE - Expert

You need something like a Logitech Harmony remote with their Smart Hub which can interface with your Amazon Echo ....

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-hub?crid=60

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 47
Mentor

I just purchased and installed a Harmony Hub to add Amazon Echo control for my home theater setup.  It works great!  The Harmony Hub can control many other connected items in the home, such as Sonos speakers, Insteon lights, etc.  However, I only use it for the TV/Home theater/XBox/Wii/DirecTV box on the main TV.

Looks like Dish just announced integration with Amazon Echo.  You're able to change channels, etc. using Echo:  https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/22/dish-integrates-with-amazon-alexa-for-hands-free-tv/

I hope DirecTV catches up!

Keith
Message 4 of 47
ACE - Master

hhmm i wonder if the echo/dot can use network commands instead of a harmony hub

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 5 of 47
Teacher

Dish just announced that they are integrating Alexa on existing equipment.  They will be using network commands to do this and an Alexa skill.  If they can so can DirecTV.

Message 6 of 47
Tutor

It can be done, and all you need is an alexa device and the directv receiver.

https://youtu.be/NJExdllHgYE

Message 7 of 47
ACE - Expert

@klav, not exactly trivial to set up, though!

Message 8 of 47
Tutor

That's true, directv could make a skill just like dish, but in the meantime, this doesn't require any hardware to buy and when done is a standalone setup... meaning all you need is the echo and the div on the same network. No computer running in the background. so the only cost is time and mental energy.

Message 9 of 47
Tutor

It would be great if I did not have to spend hours viewing YouTube video, and still being lost and confused. Has Directv lost touch with its clients now that they are under the AT&T bohemouth
Message 10 of 47
Tutor

It would be great if I did not have to spend hours viewing YouTube video, and still being lost and confused. Has Directv lost touch with its clients now that they are under the AT&T bohemouth
Message 11 of 47

Setting up Home Automation Can be difficult and not many people have the time or patients. I created Eddy Voice Remote to help those who need the extra help. This is a member driven service and based on users struggling to setup Port Forwarding. I believe Eddy can help you control your Direct TV / TiVo  / Global Cache Device or HTTP devices like your Panasonic TV that is IP based. Check out this video if you want to learn how to setup your Direct TV, just substitute TiVo for Direct TV:

https://youtu.be/W4NA9fCKzlQ

To answer some questions I had in the past... yes you can control multiple Direct TVs / Controllers . Yes Eddy has Routines , and yes you can create custom Activities which are also known as Macros. Some things that are coming soon is searching with TiVo or Roku and Direct TV, and Google Home support .

If anyone needs help with Setting up Eddy, please let me know. I can do a screen share on Goggle Hangouts and get your setup in less then 15 minutes or so.

Thanks,

-- Jorge

Message 12 of 47
Tutor

I agree.  With all the recent interest in voice control, it should be occurring to someone that voice recognition is more than just fun and games for those who have limited dexterity and cannot use the tiny buttons on the Direct TV remote.  Accessing voice control through a smart phone doesn't work either, if you don't have the dexterity to use a smart phone.  Is there a way to control the whole Direct TV process, from turning on the TV to bringing up the list  or guide, selecting programs, etc?

Message 13 of 47
ACE - Expert

@dw1234, rumors are that DirecTV will be launching some sort of Alexa support next year.  Many of use a Logitech Harmony Hub.  It will let you do all the things you mention. 

Message 14 of 47
Tutor

doesn't that still require being able to use a smart phone?

Message 15 of 47
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support