Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Amazon Alexa use with Directv

Contributor

Amazon Alexa use with Directv

I would like to use my Amazon Dot to Control my Television and receiver.  After watching numerous videos on YouTube it looks like you need to have programming expertise to do this.  I would like to say "Alexa turn on TV, or Alexa show guide, etc.  

Will Directv work on a way to allow the normal non- programmer to accomplish this?

Message 1 of 47

Re: Amazon Alexa use with Directv

Yeah, that would be great for Direct TV users. =) The Harmony skill doesn't support multiple hubs. I wonder if the Direct TV with Amazon integration will support multiple devices because so far only Amazon can associate one Alexa Device to one Fire TV device.  If you one Direct TV and a Harmony Hub then your all set, but if you have multiple Direct TV Devices, want to control individual button controls, have more than 8 devices or want to continuously say commands then  try out Eddy. 

Message 16 of 47

Port Forwarding, Android Phone, or Raspberry Pi. I wish Alexa became the bridge so developers wouldn't have to need their own hardware or to reconfigure their routers but yeah I can be a pain to setup for Port Forwarding or Raspberry PI. 

Message 17 of 47
ACE - Expert

@dw1234, no you don't need a smart phone to use the Harmony Hub if you have a Harmony remote.  But the beauty of the Alexa integration is you just tell Alexa you want done.  Very nice. 

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 47
Teacher

The DTV remote app uses IP address on network to send commands. No IR or RF needed. I use a Galaxy S5 + Anymote now, but IR has to be pointed at TV and I don't think software on phone could use wifi radio to send RF commands.

Message 19 of 47
Tutor

When trying to control Directv by Alexa, using the Harmony Hub, do I need to be able to use a Harmony remote?  I'm trying to set this up for someone who does not have the dexterity to be able to use a remote or a smart phone and needs to be able to control the TV by voice commands alone.

Message 20 of 47
Tutor

Can a person who is unable to use a smartphone or a remote use this to control Directv by voice commands alone?

Message 21 of 47
ACE - Expert

@dw1234, yes.  Once the Harmony Hub is configured (using a smartphone/tablet with the Harmony App), you no longer need any physical remote to control its commends using Alexa.  

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 22 of 47
Tutor

Thanks to all the people on this forum who have helped answer my questions.  A happy holiday to all!

Message 23 of 47

Using Amazon Echo or Alexa to control your smart TV is a really fun thing. It works like Amazon’s Alexa voice remote. But as per my knowledge, it's only available to the US user only. If you are living outside the US and want to try this on your smart tv, you can do it with the help of Logitech harmony hub and control your smart TV with Amazon Echo via Alexa Voice command.

Message 24 of 47
Highlighted
Contributor

Jorge, how to connect over Hangouts? I've followed your instructions but can't get my directv set top to work with eddy bridge. Thanks, Tony

Message 25 of 47
Contributor

Why can't you just use the directv remote app & set the skill for Alexa? Wouldn't that be Easier? 

Message 26 of 47
Contributor

Why can't you download the directv remote app & set the skill for Alexa? Wouldn't that be Easier & Cheaper than spending $$ on a Harmony Hub??? It works for the anyremote app with a smart tv!

Message 27 of 47
Tutor

I spent the $$ on a Harmony Smart Hub, I do not have a Smart TV, nor am I concerned about the TV. It is the Directv Gennie not the same so far the Harmony is another door stop with out a working interface script.
Message 28 of 47
Tutor

Sounds good. I am not a programer and when I tried to be I did not understand the code and lacked the contacts to help me troubleshoot to find the errors. There are YouTube videos that try to walk you through them but I have yet to get it to work. If Directv would supply the code and provide setup instructions then maybe it would stand a chance. The issue is the hub needs a IPA of the router that changes from customer to customer. I do not know how Dish receivers are set up. I would switch but there receivers do not do as much as Directv.
Message 29 of 47
Tutor

I have been able to obtain limited control of my Direct TV by Alexa, using a Harmony hub.  I get Alexa to turn the TV on and off, and to pause and play.  Generally I can get her to change channels, though sometimes she gets confused.  But I have had no luck with other functions like volume control, mute, or bringing up the guide or the list of saved shows.  I was told that DirecTV is planning some improvements to coordinate with Alexa.  I hope that is still in the works, as Alexa is very useful for persons with limited dexterity who cannot handle a remote.
Message 30 of 47
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support