Helpful Links

Alexa

Contributor

Alexa

Does Direct tv integrate with ALEXA

Message 1 of 38
Contributor

Re: Alexa

Typo. Was available temporarily on DTV but removed. 

Message 16 of 38
ACE - Expert

To my knowledge Directv has never had an Alexa app. Directv has other priorities to be a top functioning TV provider, and any "smart home" conviences are secondary. To another poster's question "Please explain why on gods green earth this is not a top priority, the answer is Directv priority is provide access to the content including new Directv equipment and 4K capability. It will not destroy your life that they do not yet work with a personal digital assistant like Alexa.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 38
ACE - Expert

@taw123 wrote:

Typo. Was available temporarily on DTV but removed. 

Really? When?  I don't think DirecTV Satellite equipment has ever been supported by Amazon Echo.  Rumors are that they're working on it.  In the mean time, many of use Logitech Harmony remote & hub. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 38
ACE - Master

there was a thread on sat guys that it was in the alexa app store thingy

as soon as it was announced it was gone

only lasted a day or 2.  was rumored to be coming back by christmas, didnt make it

but as was said, its not required for using directv.

many users do not have internet, its why they have sat t service, no cable/fios/dsl.

directv need to focus on fixing the gui, and getting a proper 4k dvr released before thinking about perks.

i dont know anyone that would choose one service over the other simply because alexa works with it.

and as i said before, simplify things and just remove all internet apps.  lighten the firmware.

there is nothing that cant be obtained from a roku/appletv/ect, and its usually better on that device.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 19 of 38
Contributor

Att needs to be clear about what you are giving up when switching from a competitor, while they are pressuring you to do so. Losing Alexa, losing integrated Netflix as well as a host of other integrated apps that dish network provides should be a serious consideration. When we were “pitched” at the att store, we asked about Netflix. The associate brought up Netflix and we thought all was good. After we discovered Netflix was not available after we switched, we went back to the att store and discovered that the associate had used a roku tv box to misrepresent the capability. 2nd place providers can make excuses for why we should not want features.... 1st place providers find ways to give you what you ask for.

Message 20 of 38
ACE - Expert

Netflix is a competitor so DTV will probably never have an app for it. 

Message 21 of 38
Contributor

Yet there is a DirecTV Support skill that states the DirecTV skill must first be enabled. Clearly indicating that it was or should be there. Why pull one and not the other?  With all that has been said the fact remains that if they wish to be a true competitor to Dish Network they'd better get with it. I shouldn't have to buy a Harmony hub to get around the lack of a skill.

Message 22 of 38
Contributor

You're speaking of Directv Now, not Directv, right? If so, you're absolutely right. Other commenter seem to misunderstand that. 

Message 23 of 38
Contributor

This is ridiculous. Do you want to lose customers to dish because I’m about to switch. Obviously you have the infrastructure to work on Directvnow and this at the same time. Alexa is the going rave right now and most major companies have made integration a priority. Directv always seems to be a step behind dish. And ftr since the conversation moved to people having internet as reasoning behind the slow integration and priorities doesn’t now require internet access?  Kind of blows that logic up!!!!  I was not a user of Alexa until recently and I use it for everything now. I know a lot of people do also. I bet a 1/3 of the people I know plus some use Alexa. Make it a priority and use your gigantic company and infrastructure to make it a higher priority or I’ll have no choice but to......

Message 24 of 38
ACE - Master

@Jam004 wrote:

This is ridiculous. Do you want to lose customers to dish because I’m about to switch. Obviously you have the infrastructure to work on Directvnow and this at the same time. Alexa is the going rave right now and most major companies have made integration a priority. Directv always seems to be a step behind dish. And ftr since the conversation moved to people having internet as reasoning behind the slow integration and priorities doesn’t now require internet access?  Kind of blows that logic up!!!!  I was not a user of Alexa until recently and I use it for everything now. I know a lot of people do also. I bet a 1/3 of the people I know plus some use Alexa. Make it a priority and use your gigantic company and infrastructure to make it a higher priority or I’ll have no choice but to......

alexa requires internet to work.

many directv subs do not have internet

internet connectivity items should not be a priority

satellite service should be the priority

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 25 of 38
ACE - Expert

@Jam004

Directv is service by Satellite, not internet. Any internet options are secondary. Many of us do not have good enough internet, or internet at all, to use such features. Alexa is a nice convivence for some, but it is not a requirement of life. Directv's focus right now is 4K service, the discontinuation of SD April 2019, still may internal systems being migrated since the AT&T acquisition, and hopefully further hardware since the issues of the Genie-2 and having regular HDDVRs now non-returnable models. So they have more important things then Alexa right now.

DirectvNOW is a complete separate service intended for those who just want internet streaming. So no interaction with Directv satellite service.

Message 26 of 38

I have to say as a consumer that the 4k service is terrible as is the sales model and the towers have issues which DirecTV tries to deflect as they attempt to figure this all out at the expense of its customers.  We swapped out the tower and 2 things happened (and still do).  There are times when the tower just stops working on all TV's connected and needs a hard reset to start again, we never had that with the prior box.  Plus, AT&T now sends out a tech to look at it and then says to reset it with the button instead of just telling me to do that on the phone.  Then, they change my service options and try to charge me $100 for a service call for their broken box which I had nothing to do with.  It has happened 2 more times since the first "visit" by a tech to fix it.  If that isn't bad enough, we were taping certain shows via a series and most series were fine but then out of the blue, the box tries to tape it on some random channel in the 700s which we don't have and missing the season final.  Are you serious?  My wife was annoyed, I was annoyed, and the service tech said it was a known problem with no solution.  ???  So, I call to complain about the $100 charge and say all this and I am told there is no issue and they will send a tech again to fix it?  I had to escalate to a manager who finally admitted there was an issue that was known with no resolution except to erase the program and do it again when the show is on.  This is the great fix?  AT&T better get their i's dotted and their t's crossed or I will leave Directv and go elsewhere.  Alexa is just a drop in the bucket with the other issues.  It just annoys me when someone responds like above stating how hard they are working on the 4k that they can't look at Alexa.  Last thing, I try to use the 4k and nothing is 4k unless you pay for it??  Then they want like $40 to watch something in 4k?  Are you insane?  I can take the family to the movies for that and watch it on iMAX.  I think AT&T is gouging it's customers, greedy, and have no clue to give good customer service.  If you want to claim you are this 4k company then start giving 4k movies to your customers on reliable boxes for $2-4 a movie or you are wasting everyone's time.  4K as it stands from AT&T is a joke and the cost isn't worth using it.  Learn from the feedback of your customers, you are dropping the ball big time and once I leave I will NEVER come back.  You will lose a customer for life.

Message 27 of 38
ACE - Expert

@davehartman99

There is very little 4K content out there. Directv only has 1 regular channel, 1 select sporting events, and 1 PPV for their 4K options. So these are the early days. As more and more 4K content is created, and hardware to rebroadcast it catches up, it should get better. Personally I want a full 4K HDDVR, not Client with no tuner of its own, before I settle in to 4K. Anyone who gets 4K either wants to enjoy being in prototype days, or just brag they have the shiny new thing that many do not have.

There is no charge for 4K service itself. The 2 live channels are in all but the Family package. Just need the 4K Client (C61K) on that TV with either the 3rd generation Genie (HR54) on another TV, or the Genie-2 (HS17) server tower. If you saw a $40 charge for a 4K program, that was a PPV.

Genie-2 (HS17) server tower I would not recommend to anybody right now. If the bugs were squashed then up to a 2 TV, or maybe for some a 3 TV household, it would be ok. The restriction of tuners and that it has to stand alone, so 1 more box than you have TVs, makes it the 3rd Directv box I have big concerns with. The other two being the last TiVO attempt (THR22) and the Genie Lite (H44).

Alexa is a 3rd party device. I would rather Directv take care of its current software, hardware direction, and to finish the continuing migration with AT&T to smooth out their customer service and internal systems then to drop everything for Alexa. Not a priority, not a necessity. Alexa is a luxury item not built by Directv. If they support it later (possibly working on compatibility right now), then fine. But in no way are they required to do anything with Alexa. If you are nothing without Alexa, then go where it is supported.

Message 28 of 38

The problem I have is exactly that, DirecTv made this big thing about getting 4K with this new tower and to be honest, it really isn't ready.  That is a huge flop.  But like you mention, even with it there is very little programming except for those two channels which are essentially useless.  While other 4k channels may be PPV for movies, the problem is the cost to watch them in 4k is astronomical and clearly a rip off by AT&T.  There is absolutely no way they can justify charging what they do for 4k movies at home when you can get blue ray at the video store or go the movies for little more.  So what do I have now?  I have a 4k tower that doesn't work right and have a list of overpriced movies I can get which I refuse to pay for.  So I upgraded for headaches.  AT&T needs to understand that instead of trying to make money and annoying their customer base in doing so, they should focus on making happy customers so more join.  AT&T needs to start listening to their customers complaints and do something about it.  10 years ago I had dish and moved, I asked for a 4th tv box because they had a special for new users which gave 4 boxes for free and I moved with 3.  I asked them for the 4th and they refused telling me I wasn't a new customer.  I told them I would leave if I didn't get the 4th which they were giving away anyway to new customers and I moved with new service but they refused and I left.  I told them I would never return and I have not.  They have spent thousands in advertising, calling me, begging me, etc. to come back and I never will, they lost me for life.  Plus, if anyone asks about dish I tell them never to go to them and used to say go to Directv.  AT&T needs to learn that losing a customer, a loyal customer, is much more costly than retaining one and making them happy.  If things continue with this stupid tower and gouging of costs from AT&T, they will lose me for life as well.  Directv was good, I was happy, now I am not.  That is bad unless things get better.  They need to listen or they will lose more than just me.  

Message 29 of 38
ACE - Expert

Well 4K content is going to be more expensive then BluRay for a while. Supply and demand. As 4K becomes more common the price will natural come down. And the content owners require high prices, Directv doesn't get programming for cheap.

We are only a new customer once. We do get free equipment upgrades, which adding an additional TV counts, through our service. Traditionally it has to be 2 years since the last one, but depending on account this may have a chance to come a little sooner. Demanding that you get the new customer special is not realistic when you are not a new customer. The intro special is the welcome basket, that one-time additional perk, to get people to chose that service. As there would be more continuing customers than new ones coming on, it is easier for them to afford the one-time perk for intro special then continuing it again and again for all their existing customers.

But you say you left Directv, which from context appears to have been awhile ago. Yet here you are in the Directv forum so have not completely moved on.

Message 30 of 38
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support