Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Alexa

Contributor

Alexa

Does Direct tv integrate with ALEXA

Message 1 of 38

Re: Alexa

You mistook what was said.  I left Dish never to return, not Directv.  I actually liked and promoted Directv until AT&T started with the latest complaints I raised.  I was a Dish user in my old house for 6 years and moved when I requested the additional box but was declined for not being "new" even though I moved.  The point of that was to explain that over a trivial box which prob cost next to nothing, Dish lost a customer for life, had others not use Dish because I bad mouthed them as a company, and lost thousands in revenue from over 10 years that I have been on DirecTV all because they were too dumb to agree to give that small box to satisfy an existing customer.  The point is the now AT&T took over DirecTV and is making similar mistakes.  Trying to charge $100 for a service call for a box issue they have and I didn't create is absurd.  Promoting the tower for 4k but not having any affordable 4K is likewise bad for customer retention.  They should drop the movies on demand in 4k to a reasonable price compared to a blue ray rental if they want customers to buy and watch them, otherwise, they have the PPV movies for nothing other than the few people who don't care about what they spend which is not the majority.  AT&T needs to start taking care of customers first.  That is the point or they will lose them just like Dish did.

Message 31 of 38
ACE - Expert

DTV has always had a service call fee and they replace defective receivers for $20 shipping both covered by their protection plan.

DTV has no control over when or if more 4K programs come out that is up to the content providers.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 32 of 38
ACE - Expert

Ahh, sorry I did misread the context regarding the 4th box.

Though not a fan of Dish personally, the concept of the one-time perk of intro offer remains the same. It does cost money to make new equipment, as well as to recover and refurbish existing equipment. I wouldn't say that it costs next to nothing, not matter what company it is. Though this is where Dish gouges as they increase their per TV/box fee based on what level it is ($10 to $17). Directv has receiver services that cover the account, and then it is just $7 for each additional TV no matter what kind of box it is so a nice flat rate. So at multiple TVs Directv is certainly cheaper at a side by side comparison. 

Not a lot of 4K content out there, so while the 4K shows are rare the price will be higher for the PPVs. At least Directv doesn't charge additional for the live channels. Personally I would rather a HDDVR with 2 tuners and 500GB recording space over the 4K Client. Same monthly cost, but more benefit, and reliability as the HDDVR still works even if the Genie gets unplugged but Genie-2 gets unplugged every TV goes down.

The Genie-2's design is not in line with the quality and ease of use I have come to expect from Directv. The only possible way I can see that concept being salvaged is maybe it was expected to release nearby another release of the next generation of HDDVRs that would be SWM only and either they jumped the gun releasing the Genie-2 before other compatible equipment or that other equipment was put on hold while they squash the issues of the Genie-2. Otherwise I would love to hear a full explanation on the decision to restrict tuners as it is less capability than a regular Genie and 2 HDDVRs, and also make it a problem for people who may take an RV for a month or two in the summer with a box that is not easy to do with this new server tower.

Though service calls are $99 as the terms of service are that everything is customer responsible for maintaining and owns everything except the receivers/clients, and now server tower, if it is a known software issue the service call shouldn't have been made in the first place. You may need to callback and speak to a supervisor to review the notes on the account so they can justify crediting it, or at least discounting if there was the possibility of other factors.

If you only recently got the Genie-2, because of the issues you have had see if they will swap you back to a regular Genie (HR54 if you have a C61K). Some have been able to do this, but I do not know what Directv's conditions would be to qualify for such an option (if still available).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 33 of 38
Contributor

....can someone answer why this thread is marked as "solved"?  Because it's not solved.  

For all the people complaining that DtV needs to focus on TV and not "3rd party internet add-ons" because "alexa is not a requirement for life" -- is your DtV "a requirement for life"??  I'd guess my setup is as close to a special 1% as you can get and my monthly bill is a car payment during football season (yay NFL Sunday ticket); but even I'm not going to spout nonsense that my DtV service is a life requirement. 

Alexa is simply another way to make the service more convenient -- think of alexa control like double-play.  Remember when you had to manually change your second tuner to the other station so it would record what you wanted and not only the "30 minute buffer"... ?  Double-play wasn't a requirement, it was a feature add.  Alexa is a feature add.  

You can "DIY" this -- google search and there are several youtube videos on how to set it up.  It's overly complicated requiring an Alexa developer account and an AWS lambda instance.... if you're not in IT or a "super enthusiast" it's not really worth it.  Because it's a "custom skill" about 1/3 of the time Alexa can't understand and replies that "I can't find any linked video skills..." 

The other 2/3 of the time she can "tell TV goto channel 206" or "tell left goto channel 218" (if you're a super DtV nerd like me, you'll notice a sports related theme here).

Not lost on someone that IS in IT; if it's possible with DIY - it's about 40 hours of work for a team of good developers to make it possible in a supported fashion.  I'm sure DtV has devs; who else stole the sling functionality from DISH that was delivered to us years after DISH got it...?  

Anyway - flame way.  I expect most (if not all) that check these forums will strongly disagree with me and probably call me some names.  I, literally, signed up - created a username and made this post because of the insane replies of "Alexa is not a necessity".... because neither is satellite tv (or tv at all for that matter)... and for that matter; isn't DISH a satellite tv company?  Shouldn't they not be focused on making a SECOND virtual assistant control their boxes....#ohwait

-loud_scott 

Message 34 of 38
ACE - Master

its solved because the OP asked if alexa was supported

the current answer is no, there fore the op got their answer

if you wish to start a thread about when/if alexa support will come, please feel free to do so

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 35 of 38
ACE - Expert

It is solved because the creation of the thread was about if Alexa was supported. The answer was given that at this time Alexa is not supported. I understand it would be a convenience, but I think Directv has enough on their plate right now (preparing 4K service, fixing integration issues since the acquisition by AT&T, the discontinuation of the SD only MPEG-2 feeds April 2019, and improving their new GUI with a big update to start rolling out). So support for a 3rd party device such as Alexa, especially if it is for the 1%, would understandably be on the back burner.

Sometimes "solved" here just means correct answer was given, even if it is not the answer you may have hoped for.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 36 of 38
Contributor

...twitter again announced the existence of this integration....and my Alexa app now has a DtV logo!!!! 

IT HAPPENED!!! 

Message 37 of 38
ACE - Master

for now.  it showed up last nov/dec, then disappeared again

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 38 of 38
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support