Does Direct tv integrate with ALEXA

Message 1 of 38
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by imabusybee23
‎11-10-2017 2:28 PM

Re: Alexa

Not directly.  But many of use the Logitech Harmony Remote "smart hub" system which does integrate nicely with Amazon Echo products.  I can walk into my media room and say "Alexa, turn on TV" and my TV, AV Receiver, and DirecTV DVR all power up with the proper settings.  I can also tell her to change channels, bring up playlist, and more.  

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 38
Contributor

Can you help me understand how to sync my hub with DTV especialy with the dvr. 

Message 3 of 38
ACE - Expert

Lots of tips in the Harmony forums.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 38
Contributor

Please explain why on gods green earth this is not a top priority for DirecTV and AT&T ? The Alexa skill should be able to find and play back recordings for example, not just turn on the tv or change channels (Harmony does that). Since there is a mobile app for DirecTV, that would also suggest there is an API which Alexa can use.

Message 5 of 38
ACE - Expert

It's being worked on. 

Message 6 of 38
ACE - Expert

@bostern

New equipment, launch of DirectvNOW, still smoothing things out since the acquisition by AT&T, new GUI rollout on newer models, etc. Though updates for support in the works, supporting a 3rd party device would not be a "top" priority. I'd rather they prioritize the equipment and services that we pay for and keeping 3rd party devices for trying to go the "smart home" dream as secondary.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 7 of 38
ACE - Master

@bostern wrote:

Please explain why on gods green earth this is not a top priority for DirecTV and AT&T ? The Alexa skill should be able to find and play back recordings for example, not just turn on the tv or change channels (Harmony does that). Since there is a mobile app for DirecTV, that would also suggest there is an API which Alexa can use.

easy

alexa requires internet.

many satellite tv customers do not have access to internet

any internet item should take a back seat to satellite technology and innovation

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 8 of 38
Contributor

Seriously? That's your response? I would dare say MOST of the people with Directv have internet. 

Buzzer. Try again slick.

Message 9 of 38
ACE - Expert

@Walter69

Directv just requires view of the sky. Internet on the other hand requires a physical infrastructure going from the service provider to your home. Many people are in an area at the tail end of service or a congested area, even no internet at all, that cannot support higher end features that require today's definition of broadband. There are many people who live in the country, or more rural areas, that just don't have the luxury of good lines run. But the sky is there for everybody.

So @mdram4x4 made a valid point. I believe he meant that internet options should take a backseat specifically for Directv (not in general comparing two different technologies) as they are service from satellite, not the internet. So internet options would not be a priority for them, just perk benefits. Just because you don't like his answer, no reason to be snide.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 10 of 38
ACE - Expert

@Walter69 wrote:

Seriously? That's your response? I would dare say MOST of the people with Directv have internet. 

Buzzer. Try again slick.

You may be surprised how many people in this country do not have internet services, or services fast enough.

Message 11 of 38
ACE - Master

@Walter69 wrote:

Buzzer. Try again slick.

i did not say most, i said many

but i would wager its a pretty high number

remember 20% of America does not have access to broadband internet

i would imagine its close to that number that cannot get cable, and choose directv/dish

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 12 of 38
Highlighted

Why is this answer being deflected?  Assume we have DirecTV with a hard line internet line put into it.  It is the new 4K box from DirecTV with the tower.  Is there a way to easily connect Alexa to it or not?

Message 13 of 38
ACE - Master

there is no directv alexa app at this time

no time frame has been announced

Message 14 of 38
Contributor

To put a fine point on this it was functionality that WAS temporally available via DYV and is something I hat to say Comcast has had for ages first starting as a Comcast labs skill then mainstream supported. ATT is far to slow here

Message 15 of 38
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support