Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Adding channel Oxygen

Contributor

Adding channel Oxygen

Am afraid I already know the answer, but I figured to post it here anyway, just in case there is a solution I was not aware of.

I LOVE the Oxygen channel. Due to the or our recession we had to downgrade our DirecTV package years ago and now have the Select Package (like $51 a month or so). 

Upgraded my receiver this week, combined my phone with my DirecTV account and am now getting free HBO.

That made me a happy bunny. Smiley Happy

When the new Genie was installed I got a channel list and noticed Oxygen was on there starting at the XTRA package at a cost of about $95 a month.

I browsed through all other channels that would be added by this upgrade of which I would exactly watch none.

Am an odd cookie, I loved the now defunct CourtTV (why??) and generally watch the ID channel, but aside from that channel I watch very little TV. I could do with one or more channels that meets my interest, but to pay $45 extra a month for one channel seems a bit much.

Nevertheless I figured to splurge and try it for a month and see if it's worth it, I can always switch back, right?

But then a message popped up indicating that changing my package could cancel any promotional deals I currently have. I certainly don't want to do that.

Do you know if it's possible to negotiate with DirecTV to just get the one added channel (leaving my promotional deal in tact)? As honestly there isn't a single other channel that looks interesting. Justice Central looks intriguing, but the fine print states it"s only for HD TV's with a special HD package.  The same counts for Hallmark movies & mysteries, which is included in my current package (and not in XTRA, how does that make sense?), but doesn't work due to the HD situation.

I moved to the US in December of 2000 from a European country (the Netherlands) where panic broke out that we had a third channel added (what if you wanted to watch something at the same time on both channels?). 

So when I came here I almost fainted at 500+ channels. But over the years I have learned I maybe watch 5-6 channels (news, true crime, crime and "girly" tv) + the occasional movie, the rest is a lot of the same that doesn't interest me.

Can anyone help me make sense of this and give me some advice so am not out over $100 a month to just add one channel?

Sorry for the long post. It has been an odd night.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 8
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by BiancaC
‎05-14-2018 3:28 AM

Re: Adding channel Oxygen

Channels (roughly 99%) are not al-a-carte. The network owners require TV providers like DirecTV to have them in packages. Oxygen is in Xtra and above.

If you don't watch sports, then Preferred Xtra (call in only option) is slightly cheaper than Xtra in base cost plus no RSN fee. However this would be higher cost than Select of course.

You don't lose promotions simply by changing package. What that refers to is promotions usually have a minimum package requirement. So as long as you don't go below the minimum level, your promotions remain until they complete. So raising a package definitely doesn't lose discounts.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 8
Contributor

Thank you for your answer. I decided to splurge the extra $41 for the one channel and see if it's worth it. If not, I at least was able to binge watch "Snapped" for a month. Lol.

I.am homebound and chronically Ill so TV is a lot more important than it used to be (I backpacked around the world for 4 years not watching nor missing TV at all). But as a single mom it puts me on a low budget and I cringe each month when the combined phone and TV bill exceeds $200. And now I have 3 girls that soon need cell phones too. How people do it, I don't know.

Guess I better enjoy my DirecTV as I'll be canceling when the girls need cell phones (and part-time jobs to help pay for them).

Sorry, didn't mean to whine. It's just tough when you have worked extremely hard for 25 years doing anything from scrubbing toilets, picking tomatoes and finally becoming a CEO of a reasonably successful company to then have it all fall apart in front of your eyes. I paid hundreds of thousands in.taxes and I cannot even watch TV and get my girls cell phones (which they actually need, it's not a luxury). We eat cereal twice a week to cut cost.

So anyone thinking living off disability is just being "lazy" come stay in my house for a week.

Sorry....rant over... lol

Am going to enjoy Snapped for the last few days. In some perverted way it makes me feel better seeing the crazy things some people have done over generally not "that bad" of a (generally self created) situation.

Happy watching! 

Message 3 of 8
Contributor

I would like to add animal planet to mychannels

Message 4 of 8
Contributor

I would like to add the Animal Planet to my channels

Message 5 of 8
Contributor

Please add Animal Planet

Message 6 of 8
ACE - Expert

@ThreeGoldens wrote:

I would like to add the Animal Planet to my channels

Call DirecTV and request an upgrade to a package that includes Animal Planet.  You can't add just Animal Planet by itself.

1 800 531 5000

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 8
ACE - Expert

@ThreeGoldens wrote:

Please add Animal Planet

This is a public customer to customer forum, not a live chat with official support so 3 posts in a row is the same as 3 stickies on a bulletin board.

As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, you must be in the right package to have the channels you want.

However Animal Planet is in most packages. Only the lowest English and Spanish packages (Family and Mas Latino) do not have Animal Planet.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support