Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Accessing Free On Demand Movies

Highlighted

Accessing Free On Demand Movies

I am a new customer with the Entertainment Package of Channels.  My salesperson told me I would have access to thousands of on demand "free" movies.  However, whenever I go through the hierarchy of menus and select Free Movie listings, when I click on a particular movie it either tells me how much it will cost to rent OR I get a message that I must subscribe to the channel.  HOW can I get a list of totally free on demand movies?

Message 1 of 21
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by StPeteViewer
‎07-02-2017 12:28 PM

Re: Accessing Free On Demand Movies

The free On Demand is covered by your package. Most channels have an online (On Demand) library of movies and shows that you can download to your HDDVR.

For example SyFy on 244 has SyFy On Demand 1244. It is an on screen menu to browse what they have available. There is no cost as you are subscribed to the channel. When you browse the guide, where it shows the network name on the left, if it has a '+' in the corner of the box, that means it has a library. You can even highlight it and select it instead of putting in the channel number.

There are a few On Demand only channels such as The Anime Network 1889.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 21

Thank YOU!!!!!  It helped Immensely as I have called Direct TV 3 times and got no where.  Happy 4th!

Message 3 of 21
ACE - Expert

Glad to help. One tidbit, unlike live tv, you cannot set On Demand to keep until disk full. Something to do with each channels copyrights for On Demand I guess. So it will show an exp date on the download.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 21

My On Demand programing and My Directv recommended programing listings have disappeared!  If I select and On Demand program I get "Unavailable at this time"  I have the most expensive plan you have so should have them, and I did until about a week ago.  All other channels work as they should.  Idea's for a fix? 

Message 5 of 21
ACE - Expert

@desertgirl71

Have you tried a red button reset (located behind the access card door)?

If a reset doesn't clear it, I would rerun network setup to give your HDDVR a fresh connection to your internet.

What model HDDVR?

Are you having this issue on all your boxes?

All Directv customers regardless of plan (from Family up to Premier) get On Demand. You just only get the On Demand channels for the live channels in your package. There is no guarantee of specific program availability. As each network runs their own library, in uncommon cases something they have listed might not be available for download if the individual network is doing maintenance on their library.

Message 6 of 21

Once again..Thanks!
Message 7 of 21

Once again..Thanks!
Message 8 of 21
Teacher

disagree.  if you do not have DVR service, you CANNOT access on-demand.  just sayin'...

Message 9 of 21
ACE - Expert

@circe801

To be clear you can access On Demand in 3 ways:

HDDVR connected to home internet to see on tv.

Going to www.directv.com and logging in for streaming On Demand to computer.

The Directv app to stream to mobile device (smart phone/tablet).

All Directv customers have On Demand included. It just depends on your internet options, and if you have an HDDVR, on how you access it.

Message 10 of 21

Thanks... I do have DVR and it was a glitch in my receiver... after a red button reset all functions were restored.. We get power outages here... I think that precipitated the glitch...
Message 11 of 21

Thanks... I do have DVR and it was a glitch in my receiver... after a red button reset all functions were restored.. We get power outages here... I think that precipitated the glitch...
Message 12 of 21
Teacher

to be clear, if you do not have a hard drive (read: DVR), you cannot get on demand.  i was a directv customer, connected to the internet, but could not get on demand as i did not have a DVR nor DVR service.  now, i have both, and on demand as well.  so, i stand firm on my initial comment

Message 13 of 21
ACE - Expert

@circe801

That is for getting On Demand on the TV itself. As I pointed out, there are multiple ways to enjoy the On Demand content. Yes you need an HDDVR to get On Demand on the TV, but there are other options for viewing on a computer, smart phone, or tablet even if you don't have an HDDVR.

On Demand is a bigger service then just on tv.

Message 14 of 21
Contributor

Same problem for me can't watch even half of what I see on the channel guide .... They at least need to separate all this what we don't have for free from what channel and movies we pay for and or  are that are free!

Message 15 of 21
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support