775 message can't detect swim. Which way is the swim supposed to be connected?

Teacher

775 message can't detect swim. Which way is the swim supposed to be connected?

I recently connected a HD receiver to my HD TV.  I have a slimline satellite dish.  I purchased a PI as I was told,  but I have no instructions as to which way it should be connected. 

Message 1 of 30
Professor

Re: 775 message can't detect swim. Which way is the swim supposed to be connected?

The power inserter connects to the red power pass though port on the SWM splitter or if that is the only receiver you have then the coax from the dish connects to the "TO SWM" port and the other port goes to your receiver.

Message 2 of 30
Employee

Re: 775 message can't detect swim. Which way is the swim supposed to be connected?

Does your LNB has one or four outputs?

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 30
Teacher

Please forgive ahead of time.  I am retired and my husband is no help, but I do pretty much all our electronic stuff.  I have one wire coming from the LNB.  I have a place up in the attic where a connection of the coax cable was made.  I bought a SWiM and I put it in that location, but not exactly sure which way it goes as what points to the receiver and what goes toward the dish. 

I had my HD receiver working but just not in HD.  I had chosen round dish and multi switch.  But my dish is oval and has slimline written on it. Do I need to change the dish set up?

Message 4 of 30
Employee

You need to answer my question if you want accurate advice.  Remove the LNB and see if it has one or four connectors.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 30
Teacher

ok, my son is driving over here to help me.  He will have to climb up there and remove it.  From what I can see , there are three of those white round things.  One of them looks like it has a hood over it. But there is only one wire coming from there. Does that help any?   

Message 6 of 30
Employee

Unfortunately it does not.  You could have a legacy 4 port LNB with just one cable coming down

Employee Contributor*
Message 7 of 30
Teacher

ok,   as soon as he arrives I will get him  to climb up so he can tell me. 

Message 8 of 30
Teacher

ok, he climbed up and took it off to look.  It has 4 connectors and the wire is connected to the second one.

Message 9 of 30
Teacher

He connected the PI in the attic with the Swim going toward the dish and the ird it toward the receiver.  We are now getting a 771 Error. What do you suggest we do or do we have the PI connected wrong?

Message 10 of 30
Professor

You have a standard LNB that doesn't need the power inserter you need to rerun sat set up select multiswitch first then the dish type if there is only 1 knob is is a 3 LNB if 3 it is a 5 LNB.

You cannot use any splitters with a standard LNB you need to run separate coaxes to each tuner.

Message 11 of 30
Expert

In that case put the Power Inserter away, you cannot use it with your dish.  Re run the satellite setup and when you get to dish type, select the Slimline 5 (or SL5) option and Multiswitch and that will give you HD.  Be sure you set the display to "hide SD channels"

Message 12 of 30
Teacher

What do you mean by knob?  Those white things on the end of the arm?

Message 13 of 30
Professor

Yes

Message 14 of 30
ACE - Expert

What model Receiver did you get?  Look for model number on the rear panel, or behind the front panel access card door. 

Since you do not have a SWM dish, your Receiver may require a "BBC Module" in order to receive the HD channels with that dish.  It depends on what model Receiver you have.

Also, if the HD Receiver is an H25 model, then you cannot use with that dish.  The H25 only works with a SWM setup.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 15 of 30
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the Watching DIRECTV Forum! Need to troubleshoot your service? Need to see some of the products we offer? Wondering how to take your DVR with you? Click below!

Additional Support