Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Impacted by the government shutdown? AT&T can help.  Learn more 

771 error on one of two receivers

Highlighted

771 error on one of two receivers

Error 771 on one receiver but not the other.  Some channels cannot be viewed (TCM, IFC), but most others are fine.  Second receiver can view all channels.  I do not have a SWM system but rather an 8 output multiplexer with 4 inputs from the LNBs.  

The issue occurred weeks ago, but seemed to be intermittent.  I used the up channel trick a couple times, and eventually It disappeared completely on its own. Now it has returned. 

Followed the regular troubleshooting steps to no avail.   Nothing obstructing dish. Reset receiver. Removed and reinstalled all related coax. Swapped B band filter and coax from wall to receiver, with no change.  

I had a temporary resolution by disconnecting coax at the multiplexer and at the receiver, but the error returned a couple days later. 

Also moved the receiver to a different room, and have the same issue.  Seems unrelated to coax cable or connector if a different room (cable) performs the same. 

Was as not able to test the multiplexer, and don’t know if the dish drifted out of alignment, but would think both receivers would have the same error if true. 

Perplexed. 

Message 1 of 8
ACE - Expert

Re: 771 error on one of two receivers

Not necessarily as receivers are made to work within a range of sensitivity so some will drop out before another. check you dish signals. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8
ACE - Expert

What DVR/Receiver model numbers do you have?

99% of these problems are caused by dish misalignment. Please post back with your signal readings for each satellite's transponders (and both tuners if applicable). You'll find these readings under "Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength". Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners.

Fill in your readings for each satellite and tuner using these examples. A properly aligned dish will show 80-90s on most of the relevant transponders (although some will be low or zero):

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)
[Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]
1-8 x x x x x x x x
9-16 x x x x x x x x
17-24 x x x x x x x x
25-32 x x x x x x x x

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)
[Not present with Slimline 3 dish. Local SD channels for some cities, Spanish package]
17-24 NA NA NA NA NA x x x
25-32 x x x x x x x x

Satellite transponders (11 total at 99º(ca))
[National HD channels]
1-8 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
9-16 NA NA x NA x x x x
17-24 x x x x x NA x NA

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(cb))
[National HD channels]
1-8 x x x x x x x x
9-16 x x x x x x NA NA

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(ca))
[National HD channels]
1-8 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
9-16 x x x x x x x x
17-24 x x x x x x x x

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(cb))
[National HD channels]
1-8 x x x x x x x x
9-16 x x x x x x NA NA
17-24 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for that intel, Shannon02. 

If if I look at Tuner1 (only has one tuner), I’m at 99% for satellite 101°.  

110° is at 95%

119° at 99%

99° (ca) at 99%

99° (cb) at 96%

99° (s) not acquired 

103° (s) not acquired 

103° (ca) 98%

103° (cb) 98%

Not sure if these are the important numbers to consider, or if the “not acquired” satellites are an issue.  

Since postung earlier i swapped the B-band filter off the troubled receiver with another Receiver, which is a DVR having two tuners.

On one tuner of the DVR, there was no change in performance.   On the second DVR tuner, the signal loss occurred.   I swapped one of the good DVR filters on to the troubled receiver, and it started working.  Ugh. I tried earlier and didn’t see the improvement.  

Anyway, perhaps it is indeed a bad B-band filter.  

I swapped all (3) of them around, and one seems to have an issue no matter which receiver or position, so I’ll see about picking up a spare.  

Thanks again for reading and your response!

Message 4 of 8

Ok litzdog911.

Model H24-700

MFR Date 10/22/10

I’ll fill in the data blanks in the morning unless my earlier reply was enough.  Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.  

Message 5 of 8

FDD85D62-DBD5-4323-8404-8775513538E9.jpeg

05550D41-8BB7-4A9D-B50C-685E817992D8.jpeg

0CC443AB-615A-48DD-A1BA-DF2D90D35CC3.jpeg

4E1F5D2E-C384-45C2-8F98-3A28510BBB87.jpeg

8C60A194-6049-4075-A8DD-BDAA124D99A6.jpeg

4D691F38-9CB2-493D-B0DF-92F9A1D46B15.jpeg

90AC06ED-B6FA-417E-9427-8AF8564A7CD5.jpeg

DA668A09-39CD-4903-8AC5-7F08B9F3FC6F.jpeg

BF62744D-F064-49D9-B59D-4CD63ECB21E1.jpeg

Message 6 of 8
ACE - Expert

Yeah, those signal readings are great.  I think your conclusion that it's the BBC module is a good one.  DirecTV should send you a free replacement. 

Message 7 of 8

Thanks for that affirmation, litzdog911.  

I will gladly buy one of those myself, just to avoid having to speak with the customer service rep.  Really painful going through that process, and I know it will end in an argument. 

Thanks again!  All of you are awesome!

Message 8 of 8
Share this topic
Share this topic
Workarounds for resolving common errors. View DIRECTV Error Code Help!
Additional Support