Explore & discover

Helpful Links

4k ???????

Contributor

4k ???????

I have a new genie system as well as a new 4k directv ready set. How do I get to channel 1102 to see what is available in 4K? My system says channel not available. Had a service call today but tech did not now about 4k issues.

Message 1 of 46
Expert

Re: 4k ???????

@Nodnyl that is the price to pay when you are an early adopter.  Me, I am just sitting on the sidelines until everything gets settled down.

Message 16 of 46
Tutor

I have come to the same conclusion about the whole 4k thing. Let the buyer beware.
Message 17 of 46
Tutor

I have come to the same conclusion about the whole 4k thing. Let the buyer beware.
Message 18 of 46
Teacher

RE the "wait and see" comments.  I do want to clarify something regarding 4K and videos.

The reason I dived headfirst into 4K TV and videos a couple of years ago was because I got the Samsung Note 4 smart phone.  I always liked to take videos on vacations, but the quality was so bad, I resigned myself to photos.  Then I discovered the Note 4 takes 4K resolution videos, and all of that changed.  Now I mostly take 4K videos on vacation - they are excellent!  I edit and convert the clips into a movie for each trip in 4K resolution, and show them on my 4K TV (Sony) - it's as close to "being there" as you can get without buying an airline ticket.  Friends come over to watch 1.5 hour movies of our trips, whereas no one wants to watch a boring slide show. 

So, I just wanted to say, that if this area is your desire, 4K is really here now!  I'd recommend it highly if you have a 4K smart phone and travel.

But, I agree, as I'm an example, that if you only want 4K for streaming, they are NOT all together there yet!

Message 19 of 46
Teacher

@Pecanwood This is a link to DIRECTV's Support page I found that lists the DIRECTV 4K Ready makes & models: https://support.directv.com/equipment/4386

Message 20 of 46
Teacher

I'll also add that the whole "DIRECTV 4K Ready TV" option seems to be very misleading! It implies that once the RVU element is connected & provisioned, it'll provide the SAME access to 4K service as the C61 Genie Mini would deliver. Well, a few days ago, I just had a tech attempt (without success) to setup my DIRECTV 4K Ready RVU TV set. He said his support person said the RVU system would ONLY accomodate "On Demand" 4K content & NOT the current 3 streaming channels (104, 105 & 106)! If this is the case, what's the purpose? Additionally, DIRECTV will STILL charge a monthly service fee for the RVU config, which I believe is the same as for the C61! 

Message 21 of 46
ACE - Expert

To get the 4K channels you need the HR54 Genie and the premier/ultimate channel package the RVU or C61K mini has nothing to do with it.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 22 of 46
Expert

@Telcoman the tech was incorrect.  Your 4K RVU TV will give the same programming as the C61K. and yes, there montly fee of an RVU us the same as having a C61K, for this exact same reason I recommed eveyone to use a C61K instead of an RVU TV.  The reason? It comes down to support.  Your TV manufacturer will only support your TV at most for two years, after you are left in the dark for software issues, with a C61K it will always be supported by DIRECTV.

Message 23 of 46
Tutor

Thank you for posting this information. It is exactly what I was looking for!
J
Message 24 of 46
Teacher

"Thanks" peds48!

Great advice that seems to make sense. Matter of fact, I posed a very similar question about simply going with a C61 instaed of using the RVU!  Smiley Happy 

Message 25 of 46
Mentor

You must subscribe to an Ultimate package to get 4K channels 104, 105 (PPV), and 106. Your DirecTV-ready 4K TV must be authorized using its MAC address. It also requires a DECA (DTV Ethernet Cable Adapter) between the coax and the tV via Ethernet cable. That way you don't need a Genie Mini C61. Did DTV not install the equipment?
Message 26 of 46
Mentor

TV "location" must be authorized AFTER you upgrade your programming to Ultimate or better.
Message 27 of 46
Mentor

All Samsung "SUHD" TVs (series 8000 and above are DTV-ready. Samsung UHD TVs (series 6300 and above) are also DTV-ready. You will need the HR54 Genie, but no mini client. But you will need a DECA between the DTV coax from the Genie (attached to a non DTV-ready TV) and to your DTV-ready 4K TV via Ethernet cable.
Message 28 of 46
ACE - Expert

Here is my response to a similar thread, hope this helps:

Lot of understandable confusion. Here are the requirements for the full 4K at this time.

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv (HR34/HR44 will NOT work for full 4K)

C61 Mini Genie Client on 4K tv (uses the 2.2 compliant port that the HR54 was not built with. Most likely next model Genie would have it, but no official word yet)

Instead of C61 you can use a Directv Ready RVU 4K tv as it essentially has the client built in. This requires internet access at time of install for any software updates for the tv itself. This connection is not reccomended as the C61 normally functions faster than the built in, and has the lifetime lease warrenty. If the tv gets to the point it is no longer compatible with any client software updates, the tv manufactuer will not replace the tv for you and so you either buy a new tv or get the C61 at that time anyway.

Package must be Ultimate or Premier for all the 4K channels (1 regular, 1 sporting events, 1 ppv)

Remember with the Genie which has 5 tuners, though it can stream up to 3 clients at the same time for normal viewing, only 1 of the streams can be 4K. So even if you have multiple 4K tvs with C61, only one at a time can watch the 4K channels.

One final note that was touched on earlier: A single tv household can make use of 4K, but it has to use the client connection as mentioned. This means you are charged the additional tv/client fee of $7 as if you had a 2nd tv. These are the early days of 4K, with Directv being the only provider with true 4K programming (not pre 4K programming that has been reformated), so these are the costs to be ahead of the curve. As more 4K channels and 4K receivers (not just Clients) become available, the options will naturally become more flexible. As for me, even if I had a 4K tv, I would prefer the dedicated HDDVR over a Client for the 100hrs of recording space and 2 tuners. But it is an upgrade option I will keep an eye on as 4K evolves.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 29 of 46
Contributor

It's the end of the year and this still isn't resolved.  I want my 4ktv

Message 30 of 46
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support