Explore & discover

Helpful Links

4k ???????

Contributor

4k ???????

I have a new genie system as well as a new 4k directv ready set. How do I get to channel 1102 to see what is available in 4K? My system says channel not available. Had a service call today but tech did not now about 4k issues.

Message 1 of 46
Contributor

Re: 4k ???????

Didn't work for me.  the deca connection is great.  Still no 4k:  not authorized at this location.

Message 31 of 46
Tutor

I just purchased the Samsung 6300 model 4K UHD television - called to upgrade my box to receive the 4K benefits - $400!! To upgrade! What a rip off! Was told that there are no promotions available right now - looks like I will be switching to Time Warner
Message 32 of 46
ACE - Expert

@Khatboy, check out Time Warner's 4K offerings and compare.   Also note that AT&T is planning to buy Time Warner. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 33 of 46
Tutor

I received a message as Khatboy - it says you are an expert - what's the best move in obtaining the cooperation of DirectTV to maximize the benefits of my new 4K UHD tv? Are the benefits worth the $400 - or is there only a subtle difference in picture/sound quality?
Message 34 of 46
ACE - Expert

@Khatboy, personally, I would wait a few more months.  4K is still in its infancy.  While DirecTV has the most 4K content, it's still hardly anything.  And, as you've discovered, the equipment requirements are a bit goofy.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 35 of 46
Mentor

If you're like me, you want to take whatever advantage you can on your new 4K TV. Questions:
When was your last upgrade? If more than two years, you should get a free upgrade now from whatever DVR you now have to the new HR54. Hook it up to a non-4K TV. Then it's just coax to the main TV room, then a DECA from the coax to the UHDTV via short Ethernet cable.
If not eligible for an upgrade, call to cancel your DTV service and see what hoops they'll jump through to keep you.
Good luck.
BTW, even though DTV has only 3 UHD channels, Netflix has a UHD option.

Message 36 of 46
ACE - Expert

Leasing an HR54 from a third party retailer is $300 add $50 if you want DTV to install it.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
Message 37 of 46
Tutor

And if you didn’t know, AT&T has already bought Directv. So no matter what they claim about the service expect changes aplenti and not in your wallet’s favor.
Message 38 of 46
ACE - Expert

Just an update on info to keep things simple.

4K Requirements:

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv

C61 Mini Genie Client (wired only at this time) on 4K tv

4K tv must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60fps (frames per second)

Direcv Installation, 4K tv must be there

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier)

Only three 4K channels at this time (1 regular, 1 select sporting events, 1 PPV)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Message 39 of 46
Contributor

I was wondering if there is a way to get the 4k service with a wireless genie?  I have the Samsung 8000 4k tv and had Directv in my house.  They wanted to run a wired unit to the TV to get the 4k service.  I have no where to hide the wires and declined.  The tech said they can run a wire outside my house to the main Genie unit to get the 4k service but I was wondering if there will be a wireless unit soon to avoid running a wire all around my house for the 4k channels.

Message 40 of 46
ACE - Master

@zuck214 wrote:

I was wondering if there is a way to get the 4k service with a wireless genie?  I have the Samsung 8000 4k tv and had Directv in my house.  They wanted to run a wired unit to the TV to get the 4k service.  I have no where to hide the wires and declined.  The tech said they can run a wire outside my house to the main Genie unit to get the 4k service but I was wondering if there will be a wireless unit soon to avoid running a wire all around my house for the 4k channels.

there is no 4k wireless mini at this time

maybe someday, think couple of years?

all 4k must be wired

you can hire someone to wall fish the wires at your cost

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 41 of 46
ACE - Expert

Sorry, the correct model Mini Genie Client is C61K.

4K Clients are wired only.

Only one tv can be using 4K, no matter how many C61K you have.

HR54 was too far into production when the HDMI requirements updated which is why only the Client connection may be used.

You can have Directv install a BB Deca to an RVU tv, but is not recommended. Same cost as C61K because it is a tv that uses your service. You wait on tv brand to give you updates. TV brand will not replace your tv when they no longer support RVU in that model.

UPDATE 4K Equipment is growing:

The new "Headless Server" HS17 (Genie 2) appears to be going into test markets. Solid Signal has a nice overview http://forums.solidsignal.com/docs/Hands%20On%20HS17.pdf

7 tuners

Can use up to two 4K Clients at once and up to 5 HD Clients. Is a server so does not connect directly to a tv itself.

400hrs Space

Wireless Video Bridge (WVB) is built in

Does not work with other recievers (HD/HDDVR/Genie).

Message 42 of 46
Mentor

So when will DTV upgrade the HR54 hardware, firmware, and software to support direct connection to 4K TVs, with or without RVU?
Message 43 of 46
ACE - Expert

Never, the HR54 was to far along in the production cycle to add the HDMI 2.0 port and any chip(s) needed to run it that the new 4K standard requires for 4K over HDMI.

Message 44 of 46
ACE - Expert

@jcvandoren

Software update is impossible because it is a hardware limitation. The HDMI and HDCP hardware requirements increased when the HR54 was too far into production, which is why only the Client connection can be used for now.

Receiver boxes do not simply receive hardware updates. Updated hardware is a different model. For example the HR34 (1st gen Genie) used an external wireless CCK to connect to internet. When they added it built in, that was the HR44 (2nd gen Genie). With 4K support came the HR54 (3rd gen), had the unfortunate luck of the HDMI situation at the wrong time. Now that 4K is leveling out the requirements as it continues to grow, they are testing out the HS17 (aka Genie-2). Since all tvs are clients with the HS17, this may make it easier to swap out hardware as allowing a swap on a Client as opposed to the whole main server. But as mentioned, it is starting in test markets so we shall see what happens.

Message 45 of 46
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support