Explore & discover

Helpful Links

4k ???????

Contributor

4k ???????

I have a new genie system as well as a new 4k directv ready set. How do I get to channel 1102 to see what is available in 4K? My system says channel not available. Had a service call today but tech did not now about 4k issues.

Message 1 of 46
Professor

Re: 4k ???????

What model directv recivers are you using to currently view 4k programs you need a 4k client
Or a compatable rvu tv hooked up with a broad band deca
Message 2 of 46
Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by elmo1114
‎02-09-2016 10:03 AM

@elmo1114 Call DirecTV again and have them send a more experience tech.  They need to connect your DirecTV ready TV to the Internet via a Broadband DECA and activate the RVU TV which will carry a $6.50 (soon to be $7.00) a month.  Once your TV is activated you will be able to see channel 1102

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 46
Contributor

Thanks for the info. I'm surprised they would charge a monthly fee since u have to buy the 4K movies in the first place.
Message 4 of 46
Highlighted
Contributor

Just got my 4K TV working.  Need a DirectTV 4k Ready TV (no DVR necessary) and another room with a Genie plus great internet connectivy.  Installer has to come and enable Genie "RVU" on the 4K TV with an adapter that takes the place of the DVR that was there (they take that DVR away, not needed because the Genie RVU replaces it as a client to the Genie.  So the "input" that the 4K TV uses is "virtual" - Genie RVU (frees up an HDMI port on your 4K!).  

Unfortuantely, no actual programming on DirectTV yet for 4K, just some 4K documentaries and pay for view movies, all of which have to be downloaded to the Genie. 

Netflix and Amazon Video do stream content in 4K.  You have to upgrade your Netflix account to access 4K and you need Amazon Prime for Amazon Video 4K.

Message 5 of 46
Expert

Well, the monthly fee also covers the regualar programming, not just 4K

Message 6 of 46
Tutor

I have already cabled my TV and DVR and added my DirecTV 4K-ready TV RVU as a location.  I can view regular TV through the app.  It works perfectly, but has no 4K content.

What do I need to do to activate 4K programming?  I want to avoid having a technician come out, as I've already done the work and having a tech come is a big hassle that costs money.  The folks on the phone don't know how to do anything without a truck roll.

Message 7 of 46
ACE - Expert

@Kathucka wrote:

I have already cabled my TV and DVR and added my DirecTV 4K-ready TV RVU as a location.  I can view regular TV through the app.  It works perfectly, but has no 4K content.

What do I need to do to activate 4K programming?  I want to avoid having a technician come out, as I've already done the work and having a tech come is a big hassle that costs money.  The folks on the phone don't know how to do anything without a truck roll.

Thanks for starting your own new thread. See responses there ....

https://forums.att.com/t5/DVR-Receivers/How-to-activate-4k-without-a-truck-roll/m-p/4761699#M104243

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 46
Teacher

I have recently been upgraded to the Genie R44, which I thought included 4K capabilities - at least the technician said it did. However, apparently it doesn't, so I did a chat session and was told I needed a 4K mini in between my R44 and the 4K TV. He said I had to call via telephone to get the 4K mini ordered. So, I called, and was then told that the R44 Genie had to be replaced with a newer R54 Genie AND the 4k mini!!! That would cost me $350, and I just upgraded already. Now the above posts have confused me even more. I'm thinking now that DirecTV actually doesn't have any 4K streaming yet. One technician told me I might want to wait until DirecTV's providers "catch up with us." What, pray tell, is the minimum configuration that a current subscriber must have to receive whatever DirecTV offers, without breaking the bank?? Thank you.
Message 9 of 46
ACE - Expert

The HR44 will record 4K PPV movies to get the 4K channels you need the HR54, both need a C61K mini or a DTV ready(RVU)TV to watch 4K programs.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 46
Expert

@Nodnyl

You need an HR54 along with a C61K or a DIRECTV ready 4K TV. You will also need a reverse band LNB.

Message 11 of 46
Tutor

There seems to be enough queries on the 4k subject and a diversity of answers that I think Directv should address these issues in a more formal and standardized manner; such as a link from the programming page or like.  For example, when I called technical support directly, I was asked if I had an RVU cable TV.  I asked him to explain what that meant and he was unable to do that.  Further research has led me to find out that I had the HR44, minit Geni, but unknown as to whether my brand new Samsung 65" SUHD TV is Directv ready (the Directv salesman at Costco said it was) but cannot find any further information to substantiate his claim.  So, what is reverse band LNB?

Message 12 of 46
ACE - Master

http://www.directv.com/technology/4k

and this

https://forums.att.com/t5/DVR-Receivers/hr54-and-4k/m-p/4883253#M49017

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 13 of 46
ACE - Expert

Those links are pretty definitive.

The reverse band LNB is a new LNB which replaces the one in your slimline dish and gives access to a whole new set of transponders which appear on your Hr54 as the 99cr and 103cr satellites. It uses the uplink frequencies for downlinks, see http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/209560-what-is-reverse-dbs/.   At some time in the future you will need a reverse band LNB to get 4k, but right now 4K is being delivered through existing transponders so it's not essential. There's no programming on the reverse bands although a few transponders are showing up on the signal strength screens. In fact the 5lnb version of the reverse band LNB is only just becoming available.

Message 14 of 46
Teacher

Well.  From what I'm reading here, it appears that most of us lower case geeks and techies just need to settle for what we can get from Netflix and Amazon in 4K. 

I've been burned once, buying what was advertised as 4K TV and found that Sony was only kidding, and purchased an additional $500 streaming device.  Amazon wants me to buy another streaming device, ROKU 4K, and now I find that DirecTV requires 2 or more layers of new hardware at $$$, which might change again any minute.

Plus, they don't yet have anything to watch.

I'll just wait.

Thanks for the info.

Message 15 of 46
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support