Explore & discover

Helpful Links

4k channels don’t work on Samsung UN65MU8000F

Highlighted
Tutor

4k channels don’t work on Samsung UN65MU8000F

I have a Samsung UN65MU8000F (4K HDR) connected to 4K genie mini, and switching to one of the Directv 4k channels (105, etc.) causes the picture to go black and the tv to think it has lost the hdmi connection. All other HD channels work fine. I have a different, slightly older Samsung 4K tv (not hdr compatible) in a different room on a different 4K Genie mini, and it is able to view the 4K channels just fine (obviously not in HDR, though).

Things I have tried:
- Updating TV firmware (thought for sure this would fix it because I read somewhere that the Directv 4K HDR broadcast uses HLG and that a software update was required for HLG compatibility
- Ensured settings>general>external device manager>HDMI uhd color is on
-Game mode on

Interestingly, the Guide seems to correctly detect the 4K HDR capability of the TV because I can see “4K” and “HDR” logos next to the titles in the guide. The other non HDR tv only shows “4K” in the guide, so all of that seems correct. I initially thought it was just an HDR problem because I tried the Olympics broadcast in HDR but later realized all 4K content has the same issue... even A Directv cinema 4K movie that views fine on the other tv.

4k content works fine from other sources, for example Prime Video (have not confirmed HDR because I’ve had trouble finding HDR content through Prime Video). 

I called Samsung - they said it was a Directv issue. I called Directv - they said it was a Samsung issue.

Has anyone else experienced any similar issues? Is there another HDR or 4K setting somewhere for the UN65MU8000F other than those tried above that I may be missing?

All very frustrating because I spent more for the HDR and can’t even watch 4K much less HDR!

Thanks!

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 16
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by brbucks
‎02-12-2018 5:00 PM

Re: 4k channels don’t work on Samsung UN65MU8000F

try a new hdmi cable

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 16
Tutor

OK... didn’t think about that.  I thought an hdmi cable was an hdmi cable.  Are there specific ones for 4K or HDR?  I can try it.  Thanks. 

Message 3 of 16
ACE - Master

you need a high speed (16gbps) hdmi cable

amazon has them, as does monoprice

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 16
Tutor

Ok great thanks. Stopped by Best Buy and they sold me on a $100 cable by Cinnamon with higher levels of silver in it. My instincts, though, tell me none of that really matters and that a $20 cable from Amazon is just as good as long as it is high speed with 16 gbps support.  Am I right or are there advantages to the higher end cables?  

Message 5 of 16
ACE - Master

@brbucks wrote:

Ok great thanks. Stopped by Best Buy and they sold me on a $100 cable by Cinnamon with higher levels of silver in it. My instincts, though, tell me none of that really matters and that a $20 cable from Amazon is just as good as long as it is high speed with 16 gbps support.  Am I right or are there advantages to the higher end cables?  

eeeeeekkkkkk $100 for an hdmi cable

return it

amazon media bridge brand should be fine for alot less

https://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-715-Speed-Cable-Ethernet/dp/B001A5PDKQ

Message 6 of 16
Tutor

Awesome that’s what I thought thanks. 

Message 7 of 16
ACE - Master

bit older article with info from the hdmi people in it

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/are-expensive-hdmi-cables-worth-buying/

Message 8 of 16
ACE - Master

fyi do a search on amazon for "Premium certified HDMI Cable"

and there will be more options

Message 9 of 16
Tutor

The cable did the trick and fixed the issue!  Now I just need to wait for my $8 cable to come in from Amazon so I can return the $100 version Smiley Happy

Thanks again for the help! 

Message 10 of 16
Contributor

I am experiencing issues with my 2017 Samsung 65” 8000 series and the 4k genie mini. The error I am seeing is “can not detect server.” I was told by Directtv to disconnect the main Dev box from the internet. The 4k box works when my main box is “not” connected to the internet, but then that prevents me from viewing in demand. I called Directtv and they say it’s a Samsung issue, and Samsung says it’s Directtv.

Message 11 of 16
Scholar

goto wally world and get a black web hdmi cable

• Premium certified
  • Optimized for high bandwidth 4K HDR devices, HDTVs, DVD/Blu-ray and streaming boxes
  • Up to 7.2 surround sound
  • Delivers a full 4K 60Hz signal at 18Gpbs
  • Supports 4:3, 16:9 and 21:9 aspect ratio
  • i use these and they work and there cheap. 6FT is like 10 bucks
Message 12 of 16
Contributor

Scholar is correct but BW cables are cheep. HDMI cables are soldered  connections. Cheep cables may be certified but don't last very long - better to spend a bit more.  perform the following (I had the same problem) 1.Reset your TV. 2.Make sure your HDMI port is set to UHDMI and HDMI+ is set "on". 3. If  the  un65 sees set top 4k box as a Spectrum cable box (or any other device).   with the box and TV on,  unplug the HDMI cable wait 10 seconds and replug. The UN65 should detect the box as a DTV box.  Besure u point your  UN65 remote at the 4k box.    

Message 13 of 16
Contributor

I REALLY SEE THE AMAZING OPTIONS AND I AM EXPERIENCING AS I LEARN MORE ABOUT MY DIRECTV ACCOUNT AS I TAKE EACH PRECIOUS MOMENT AND GIVE IT MY SOUL UNDIVIDED ATTENTION TO THE PLEASURES OF HOW I GET TO USE IT WHEN I VIEW MOVIES AND SHOWS AND I REALLY LOVE THE FUNCTION HOW IT WORKS AND HOW TO USES EACH ITEMIZED CHOICE OF THINGS I CAN DO WITH THE SERVICES THAT I HAVE PURCHASED WITH DIRECTV I LOVE THE IDEA WHEN I NEED TO STEP AWAY FOR A CERTAIN TIME OF MOMENT THAT I GET THE OPTION TO PUT WHAT I AM VEIWING ON PAUSE AND COME AND PUT IT ON PLAY AND I DONT MISS THE ENJOYMENT AND PLEASURE WHAT I AM WATCH ING AND I GET TO CHOOSE WHAT TV SHOW AND MOVIE I WANT TO SEE, THANK YOU IT IS A AMAZING DIFFERENCE IN THE PAST COMPANY I WAS ONCE WITH AND I STAYED WITH THAT COMPANY FOR NUMEROUS YEARS TIL LATELY. I PROMISE TO  GIVE YOU THE SAME VALUE (DIRECTV)  WITH THE UPMOST RESPECT AS I DID AND DO WITH ALL MY BILL ACCOUNTS THEY ALL GET PAID IN FULL AMUONT ON TIME EACH MONTH I HAVE NEVER BEEN DELIQUENT ON NONE OF MY BILL ACCOUNTS I FEEL WHEN I PAY MY BILL ON TIME THE COMPANY GETS TO PAY THEIR BILLS AND PAY THE EMPLOYEES ALSO IT HELPS EVERYONE TO PAY THE BILLS AND KEEP ROOF OVER THEIR HEADS AND FAMILY MEMBERS AND THEY CAN PAY THEIR BILLS AND HAVE FOOD, CAUSE I WAS HOMELESS IN A WHEELCHAIR FOR NINE LONG SUFFERING YEARS I CROCHETED ITEMS ON REQUEST TO EARN MONEY TO TAKE CARE OF MYSELF, WE ALL HAVE A HIDDEN TALENT WE DONT REALLY REALIZE WE ARE USING IT EACH MOMENT EVERY TIME WE DO A TASK OF WHAT IT IS WE DO TO COMPLISH TO MAKE IT THROUGH EACH DAY, THAN YOU EVERY ONE GIVING EACH AND EVERYONE THE CHOICE AND PLEASURE WE GET FROM THE SERVICES WE RECEIVE FROM YOU.

THANK YOU FROM PASTOR CA, SCHREIBER 03/29/2018 @ 1:51 PM

Message 14 of 16
Tutor

oh no way!! hope you went the 20$ route lol

Message 15 of 16
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support