Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Are you impacted by the government shutdown? We’re here to help.  Learn more 

4K Channels Not Working

Contributor

4K Channels Not Working

I have a 4K tv, HR54-700 receiver, and the choice package that states that 4K is included. When i go to the "My Equipment" page and scroll down to add services, there is an option for 4K. Under the description there is a hyperlink that says "What else do I need to view?" When you click that link it says that if you have a 4K tv all you need is a HR54 receiver and a Select TV package or higher. I meet all of those criteria. The second option states that if you do not have a 4K tv then in addition to the items i mentioned, you also need a 4k genie mini. So why is it that every time I call your customer service the techs continue to tell me that I need the 4k genie mini before ever even asking me if I own a 4K tv? 

Why isnt my 4K working? I literally have everything that your website states that I need. 

Message 1 of 11
ACE - Expert

Re: 4K Channels Not Working

The HR54 Genie is indeed required.  But it's not the box that outputs 4K video.  You need a C61K Genie Client connected to your 4K TV.

http://soc.att.com/2hYoviN

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 11
Contributor

They why would the DirecTV website state that I don't need anything else. It says that I only need the genie mini if I don't have a 4K tv.

Message 3 of 11
ACE - Expert

Some 4K TVs can use the "RVU" feature to get 4K video from the HR54 over the SWM coax network.  But that's not as good as using a separate C61K 4K Genie Client because TV manufacturers don't keep up with the necessary software updates.  And, either way, you still need a tech to come set it up, and the extra monthly cost is the same. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 11
ACE - Expert

4K Requirements:

HR54 Genie on non 4K tv (Can connect to a 4K tv, but will not provide the 4K feed to it).

C61K Mini Genie Client (wired only at this time) on 4K tv.

Remember Client has no tuner of its own, uses 1 from the Genie.

4K tv must support HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0, and 60fps (frames per second)

Directv Installation, 4K tv must be there

Package Select or above as of 12/15/2016 (used to be only Ultimate or Premier). So only the Family package will not get 4K service at all.

At this time there are only three 4K channels. 1 regular, 1 select sporting events, 1 PPV.

Even if you have multiple C61K or RVU clients, only one tv can be using a 4K channel at a time.

In the case of a single TV home, both the HR54 and Client connections must be used on one TV which charges the $7 monthly as if you had a 2nd TV. (HDMI requirements updated for Directv's 4K service when the HR54 was too far into production).

Instead of an HR54 the new Genie-2 (HS17) can be used, and has the benefit of allowing 2 Clients using a 4K channel at the same time. But this system is highly discouraged per post launch bugs and by design does not allow other HDDVRs on the account leaving you hard capped at 7 tuners, which is a downgrade for many of us. They need to fix/redesign the Genie-2 line and come out with a full 4K capable HDDVR that can be used with other boxes to make it ok to consider.

Message 5 of 11
Contributor

My HR54 Genie is connected to a tv in my bedroom.  The C61K Genie Client is connected to my 4K TV.  Directv still not providing me with 4k channels.  I have been a Directv customer for twenty years.  Since AT&T took over, nothing but problems, like this one.  Anyone know what the fix is?

Message 6 of 11
ACE - Expert

@rsmith4731 wrote:

My HR54 Genie is connected to a tv in my bedroom.  The C61K Genie Client is connected to my 4K TV.  Directv still not providing me with 4k channels.  I have been a Directv customer for twenty years.  Since AT&T took over, nothing but problems, like this one.  Anyone know what the fix is?

What do you see when trying to tune directly to a 4K channel?

Why do you think they're not providing those channels to you?

Message 7 of 11
ACE - Expert

@rsmith4731

Did DirecTV do the install themselves?

Is the C61K (make sure it has the 'K') connected to the correct HDMI port on the TV? (some TVs only 1 is compliant with DirecTV's 4K service)

Did it ever work?

If your TV has the capability to connect to internet have you checked for any software/firmware updates?

What is the exact name of your programming package? (Grandfathered packages might not qualify for new services. Family is the only current package that doesn't have 4K).

Message 8 of 11
Contributor

So I need two 4k TVs for this to work?
Message 9 of 11
ACE - Expert

No.

Message 10 of 11
ACE - Expert

@rsmith4731 wrote:
So I need two 4k TVs for this to work?

No, nothing has been said as such.

The C61K must be on the 4K TV itself on an HDMI port that is compliant with DirecTV's 4K service.

Your main Genie must be the 3rd generation HR54.

The HR54 itself does not output 4K because it was too far into production when the HDMI requirement updated.

Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support