Explore & discover

Helpful Links

getting a pop-up box asking if I'm still watching??

Tutor

getting a pop-up box asking if I'm still watching??

After watching a channel for 4+ hours the channel will stop and a pop-up box shows up asking if I'm still watching as there has been no activity for 4 hours.  This happens repeatedly when 'binge watching' programs.....is there anyway to stop this from occurring? It is very annoying as it usually happens in the middle of a program and it takes a small amount of time to acknowledge that I'm still actively watching and getting the program running again, missing the part that would have been shown while answering question, etc..

Message 1 of 17
ACE - Professor

Re: getting a pop-up box asking if I'm still watching??

The only way to have it not happen is to use the  remote in some way like just hit the "OK" button(if using Roku).

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 17
Tutor

Thanks for your help. That is currently what I do, I forgot to mention in
my original post that I am using a ROKU Premier+. What I am looking for is
a work around that keeps the pop up box from appearing and interrupting the
program I am watching.
Message 3 of 17
ACE - Master

There is none at this time.  They may or may not add one in the new UI apps currently under development.  (The point is to keep people who fall asleep from burning huge amounts of data unnecessarily.  I'm sure I've seen the same behavior out of Netflix.)  However, if you just hit some button on the remote between episodes to show that you are still alive/awake, it shouldn't bother you during an episode.  

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 17
Teacher

It doesn’t matter it happens to me while using the remote. It’s annoying it typically occurs during an important part of the show I’m watching and I miss it.

Message 5 of 17
ACE - Master

If my TV was on and I did nothing for over 4 hours I would not only want them to stop the stream, I would want somebody to send an ambulance, or at least an officer to do a welfare check.

Talk about Couch Potatoes.

Message 6 of 17
Tutor

I was referring to binge watching programs. Also some of us have the TV on
for background noise while we work throughout the house or in our home
office. Sorry if that offends your sensibilities.
Message 7 of 17
ACE - Master

I'm not offended. I just don't understand it. I guess people watch TV in different ways, but I would no more leave my TV on if I was not watching it than I would leave my car engine running if I were not going anywhere.

Message 8 of 17
ACE - Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by DrEarl
‎06-11-2018 4:14 PM

Even if binge-watching, I don't see hitting a button occasionally as a big imposition - even Netflix, the home of binge-watching, requires that.  And if the TV is just background noise - so what is on doesn't matter - perhaps an antenna and an OTA station is a good solution.  Because services offer what they offer - and DTVN isn't really the right solution for that use.  There are good reasons (financial ones) why they want to discourage users from leaving unwatched streams running, so if that is a requirement for you, they (or likely any of the streaming services) may not be good choices for you.  Cable or satellite may be - and supporting that usage model is one part of the reason they cost more.

Tags (1)
Message 9 of 17
ACE - Master

If you just want background noise a radio might be the solution, doesn't use up data and has no 4-hour timer. :-)

Message 10 of 17
Tutor

BTW, At the time I originally posted the query, I was bedridden... the
other streaming services were not cutting out after 4 hours therefore my
query... thanks for your concern! I was expecting helpful information and
not getting slammed about my viewing habits.
Message 11 of 17
Tutor

This should not be shown as a solution. It is simply another case where a person believes that their opinion should take presedence over the needs of others. 

He provides some good information with options that will circumvent the problem but is not a direct solution. I just wish he would have given the information without the attitude. This thread and others have listed legitimate reasons that a solution to the stated problem is needed. Can we go back to a time where we offer help to others without the need to belittle them. 

Message 12 of 17
Tutor

Thank you for your courteous response. If you do hear of a workable
solution, please let me know. One thing I have noticed is that more and
more streaming solutions vs cable are setting up their programing in a way
that lends itself to binge watching. This will translate into more
'complaints' about the 4 hour cut off (are you there?).
Message 13 of 17

I have the same issue.  I wish someone had given a real solution to the technical issue and not tried to manage your leisure time.  If we pay for unlimited dtvn and internet/data it’s not of their right to manipulate our usage but to just provide the service.  I am often not able to get it rebooted and I miss the ends of programs.  Very agitating problem to a normally great service provider.   

Message 14 of 17
Guru

It's not a technical issue. It's a feature issue and personally I am glad it is a feature. If I leave to go to work or something and forget to cut the stream I know the 4 hour timer will cut the stream.

It's DTVN'S platform and they can do whatever they want with it. If anyone has complaints about any features that annoy you then you have three options. Complain to chat, and I think there is a feedback form, or cancel and try something else. Complaining here is not going to change anything. Sorry but that's just a fact 

Message 15 of 17
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Learn all about the recent Changes to DIRECTV NOW Packages!
Additional Support